Tripadvisor
Frodsham
Post
Inbox
Search

“First visit, miserable barmaid ”
Review of The White Lion

The White Lion
Ranked #24 of 56 Restaurants in Frodsham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A cosy, traditional country pub with stunning grounds and al fresco dining area nestled in a quaint Cheshire village. We serve fresh food, including a children's menu, from 12pm-9pm and serve drinks from our varied bar selection until 11pm. Popular for good cask beers, good food and good people, The White Lion is the perfect pit-stop for a drink or a bite to eat. We cater for large parties and offer a buffet menu for guests to choose from, or simply pre-order from our delicious a-la-carte.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The food was ok, we didn't like the chips that came with the baguettes, they were over done. The tuna melt baguette and the sausage baguette were nice, the jacket potato wasnt quite cooked enough.
The thing that really let the white lion down was the barmaid, she might have been new or having a really bad day but she looked soooooo miserable like she didn't want to be there. The young lad who brought the food was amazing and went above and beyond and had a huge smile on his face.
We ordered a pot of tea and a latte at the same time as ordering desserts, the red haired, miserable waitress went straight over to the coffee machine to do the drinks- we could see her as we were sat right near the door.
We saw our drinks sitting there whilst she served someone else as we ate our desserts, half way through our desserts our hot drinks were still sat there so my friend asked if we could have our drinks and the barmaid said 'oh I'll do them now'
So we thought she had just forgotten and was going to redo them, nope! She just brought them over! The drinks managed to stay luke warm and we darent ask her for replacements because she already looked like we were putting her out!
We left a tip for the nice lad but wouldn't leave her one!
We would try the white lion again but when you've got the hornsmill and the goshawk very close and their staff are amazing and so welcoming, it makes more sense for us to go elsewhere.
Smiling at customers goes a long way!

Date of visit: January 2020
WhiteLionAlvanley, General Manager at The White Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello queenlouofhelsby. Thank you for your review. I am happy you enjoyed your baguettes, I will pass on your comments to the chef about your other meals. I can only apologise for the staff member in question, I will be addressing this matter with her. Generally all staff are always welcoming, friendly and smiling. I do hope you will give us another try. Regards Charmaine

Write a reviewReviews (632)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Absolutely disgusted at being told today than we needed to leave the bar area. We have been using the White lion for many years as our local family pub and this evening at 6pm, when the place has barely a person in it, we were told no childen allowed in bar area. Now this has been a regular visit for us for many years with our little girl, 2 other tables in bar, not disturbing anyone. Not an explanation, just told not allowed to be there....we asked why after feeling confused and embarrassed to be told new rules....
Family county pub it no longer is. We will never be back. The place is going quiet as it is so good luck to turning away families on top of that. Tell the assistant manager to maybe explain himself a little better, what ever the circumstances may be and realise that people have been coming there a long time.

Date of visit: January 2020
broadoakpub, Owner at The White Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hello Victoria,
We are most definitely a family friendly pub!
I'm really sorry you the issue wasn't explained to you properly.
There was an incident recently involving children which prompted us to review our policy and double check our licensing conditions. As I said whilst we are most definitely a family friendly pub (and always will be) unfortunately the Local Authority has specifically stated that children are not allowed in the area adjacent to the bar.
I'm sorry this wasn't explained more clearly to you.
We will brief staff again to make sure they explain clearly why children are not allowed in the bar area, but they are welcome in all other areas.
Thank you.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I have been to the White Lion many times over the years and it never fails to dissapoint.

Delicious food reasonably priced. Great attentive staff, lovely manager (Charmaine).

A real, cozy, pub dining atmosphere in a beautifully styled restaurant.

We will continue to visit this superb restaurant.

Highly reccomended for couples, friends and families.

Date of visit: January 2020

Hello Kerry F. I would like to thank you for your lovely review. I will pass your compliments on to all the staff at The White Lion. We look forward to seen you again. Regards Charmaine

Reviewed January 6, 2020

Been a few times now, especially when we get visitors from abroad. Lovely looking place, nice food but the service is rubbish! You have to flag someone down to place your order and hope someone passes to get drink top ups etc. Shame really because you want the place to be great.

Date of visit: January 2020
WhiteLionAlvanley, Owner at The White Lion, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2020

Hello Runcorn F, Thank you for your review. I am happy you enjoyed your meals, however I do apologise that our service wasn't up to standards as we usually are, I have brought it to all my staff attention to be more attentive towards customers. I do hope you will give us another try. Regards Charmaine

Reviewed December 27, 2019

Christmas Dinner just for the two of us. What could possibly go wrong? Well, before starters we asked for our champagne which I had pre-ordered and was informed that they only had Prosecco.We sat down at 11.55 and our starter was with us at 12.05. We couldn't touch the starter as not sure what the salmon and baby prawns were sitting on but we both didn't have a visit to the dentist in mind. The waitress asked was everything okay with our starter we said no and the starters were taken away without any more being said. Then the dinner itself turned up at 12.20 the only positive was that it was hot!.Other than that it was bland,the new potatoes were smothered in a butter like substance which was floating on the so called gravy which was thin and weak tasting. The vegetables were mainly cabbage and carrots (no sprouts?) and the solitary pig in blanket was greasy. As for the ball of stuffing I should have took that home to play football in the garden with the grandkids. We didn't fancy the desert (they even got that wrong) as we'd had enough. It was fairly obvious we weren't happy as we hardly touched our main courses and we paid for our prosecco which we didn't finish and we left just after half 12. At no time did any management come to apologise or similar for completely ruining this long awaited time together. I doubt if I will be the only one to have had received this poor level of food and service on the day.

Date of visit: December 2019