“Great meal”

Restaurant At The Old Hall Hotel
Ranked #25 of 51 Restaurants in Frodsham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Housed in a charming 16th-century hotel in Cheshire, Old Hall Hotel restaurant offers fine traditional English cuisine. Set in picturesque countryside, the restaurant provides a sophisticated setting in which to dine. Full of character, The Old Hall Hotel oozes traditional English charm with elegant decor, log fires, original beams and classical design. Traditional British cuisine is the key focus, with delicious dishes like slow roasted belly pork with caramelised apples and parsnip purée, Cheshire cheese and onion pie or Old Hall fish pie with shellfish. Classic favourites on the dessert list include sweets like raspberry Eton mess or warm pear and almond tart. There is a good selection of wine to complement your meal, along with a range of locally sourced cheeses and homemade fruit chutney. Offering traditional British dining and a warm, relaxing ambience, The Old Hall Hotel and Restaurant in Cheshire is on the main street in Frodsham.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Initially tried to make a reservation Helter Skelter last night, only to be informed that they were closed due to a 'kitchen malfunction'. Upon racking our brains for an alternative venue, The Wife posited The Old Hall, where she had been for her work Xmas meal, which proved, by all accounts, a most enjoyable affair. The fact that the Old Hall accepts Tastecard cemented our decision. The building is lovely, olde worlde, warm, cozy, just the ticket on a cold night February evening.

I had chicken liver parfait for starters which was excellent, and certainly ungenerous in terms of its size. The wife opted for salmon laced with capers which she was extremely pleased with. My main course of fillet steak with blue cheese, green beans and chips was perfect (great chips, by the way). The wife had an issue with her sirloin being overcooked, which was brought to the attention of the young waitress who quickly and professionally resolved the situation, even going so far as to offer us complimentary tea and coffee by way of recompense. Upon the sirloin's return to the table, it was declared wondrous, and its initial overcooking didn't serve to diminish our enjoyment of the evening at all, largely by virtue of the professionalism of the staff in remedying matters.

We shared a dessert as were both too stuffed to move. The bill, with Tastecard discount applied, amounted to £50 (£20 of which was spent on wine). I felt this represented excellent value and, though I'd never really considered The Old Hall as a dining establishment per se, I'm very much looking forward to making a return visit.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I used to like this local restaurant and chose it to celebrate my birthday. However the service today was amongst the worst I have encountered. Rude and unwelcoming. The menu was uninspiring but I settled for a smoked salmon on bruchetta and sirloin steak. The salmon was not of the finest quality and served with little attention to detail. I ordered the steak rare and it came at least medium. The waitress returned it to the chef and then came back and told me it was rare and that if I wanted it rare next time I should it it 'blue'. If I had wanted it bleu I would have ordered it bleu. The manager was no better, still not the slightest hint of an apology and still accusations that I didn't know what a rare steak was. We left feeling very disappointed and vowed never to return.

3  Thank Kevin W
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We booked to dine at The Old Hall as our youngest son was in respite. We really love this hotel. It is not far from where we live. The staff are all really friendly & helpful. The menu,s are brilliant. We were spoilt for choice. The minute we walked into the hotel the atmosphere was superb. We had a drink in the bar, ordered our food & sat back & relaxed. Our table was ready in no time.
The food was excellent & service was excellent. We finished our meal with coffee & brandys in the lounge. Definitely worth the visit.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went to the Old Hall with a group of 6 colleagues as our Christmas Team night out and had a lovely evening. It’s a really cosy and inviting place and feels very intimate due to there being different rooms to eat and drink in and open fires in quite a few of them.

We all ordered from a 3 course Christmas Set Menu which was (I think) about £25 each. I thought this was very good value. We all enjoyed our food but I can’t remember what everyone ordered so I’ll just talk about mine!

Best part of the food for me by far was the starter – I had smoked salmon which came on crusty bread with some kind of lemony, creamy (possibly crème fraiche..??) dressing. It was so tasty. I think the bread may have been rubbed with garlic which you wouldn’t expect to go very well with salmon but it was gorgeous. For main course I went for the roast pork dinner which was nice, but the pork was a little dry and the crackling was so hard I couldn’t bite through it! Still nice though and the portion sizes were very generous. They also brought a couple of bowls of chips out for us to share just in case there wasn’t enough food! For dessert I went for the chocolate cheesecake which was very nice.

All in all, a lovely evening with nice enough food. I would definitely go back though for the cosy atmosphere and the good service alone.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Thirteen of us descended on the Old Hall in Frodsham for our Christmas lunch. We were welcomed by a lovely real fire and drinks in the lounge. We had preordered lunch and it was
excellent. Five choices for each course and all presented beautifully. I'm sure we will be back next time we have a celebration.