“Great Food”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Frodsham
Chester, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I visited the restaurant last Thursday evening after our friends recommended it. Food was superb. We both enjoyed a two course dinner having the fillet steak for our main dish. I have been a butcher for over 20 years now and I am extremely critical when dining out, however, I it really was superb. My wife had fresh fruit salad and Cheshire farm ice cream for dessert which was nice and I enjoyed the cheese board which was presented beautifully and contained a nice variety. Would highly recommend to family and friends and my wife and I will certainly be returning in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MrMBlythe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2014

It is a Hotel and Restaurant services, therefore I will give separate two reviews

The restaurant : the food is good, wide selection and good quality. Just a bit more expensive than the average.

The Hotel :quality far below what one pays (not value for money)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Stefano N
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We visited the Old Hall for a belated Mothers Day Gift for afternoon tea -what a disappontment, nothing special, sandwiches were ok, cakes ok, scones stale and rubbery, whatsmore as we had two vegetarians with us we asked for some cheese sandwiches (which you would have thought would have been in the selection) and were charged £5.00 for just four finger sandwiches. Wont be visiting this hotel again, will certainly not be recommending it any time soon, no atmosphere and the waitress's not overly helpful either if you could find them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Julia W

Travelers are raving about these Frodsham hotels

Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

A group of 10 of us stayed for 2 nights. Whilst tales of our experiences made for entertaining conversation, we won't be going back!

The room my husband and myself stayed in was on the front of the building and the curtains, missing some curtain hooks, didn't keep the street light directly outside from blaring through the window all night. Whilst others at the back of the building had issues with extractor fans running all night which kept them awake.

All 6 rooms had uncomfortable beds with tired, lumpy mattresses.

We could only use the hair covered showers in the morning due to there being no hot water in the evenings.

The service was poor. We arrived to just one towel in our room. I asked for an extra couple to be taken up as we went for dinner and we came back to them dumped in a pile outside our door on return. We asked for extra pillows as we couldn't find any in the wardrobe and they never appeared.

The poor service continued at breakfast and dinner which was a shame considering the food was very good.

• Stayed April 2014
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We visited The Old Hall for the first time today. Very friendly staff, and a beautiful building that had a lot of character. It was very quiet with a handful of customers at lunchtime, so alarm bells should have rung.
We had afternoon tea which looked so much better than it tasted. The cakes were tasteless even though they looked lovely. They were not fresh and had been kept in the fridge overnight. The selection of sandwiches were delicious and fresh however.
Such a shame and a let down.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cheshire
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My wife visits the Old Hall Hotel occasionally with our daughter and they always thoroughly enjoy it, so much so that my wife wanted to celebrate her 60th birthday at the Old Hall and so we did. I booked a table for 26 friends and family members and what a fantastic evening we all had! Everybody thoroughly enjoyed their meals and we had several bottles of the house wines, which were lovely. To start I had soup, which was homemade Broccoli and Stilton. I am a big fan of homemade soup and this was truly delicious. For my main meal I had fillet steak which was perfect, followed by a lovely selection of cheese and biscuits for my dessert. We really could not fault the food we had in anyway, fresh ingredients cooked to perfection and all presented beautifully. Service was fantastic, all staff very helpful and friendly. My wife has since had afternoon tea at the Old Hall and said how lovely it was. Now my niece is having her wedding reception at the Old Hall and I am very much looking forward to our return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My wife and me went to the restaurant in this hotel last night for a birthday meal. We had been before , and expected great things.
The service was impeccable ,as ever . We chose to go for the a-la-carte menu . . .3 courses for around £25 plus drinks.
The soup arrived for my wife . . . .a pretty non-descript affair with a roll which was almost too small to cut. I had 2 black pudding croquettes with a soggy mini salad and a spoonful of apple sauce. . . . .quite tasty though.
Main course for my wife was duck on a bed of bland mashed potato and some of the most tasteless vegetables she had ever tasted. . . . .Oh and a tiny bowl of chips.
My main course was a very small (approx. 5 inches across.) meat pie, the dreaded mashed potato and the same tiny amount of vegetables my wife had.
To sum up . . . . . . .
This meal was the smallest , blandest , most
pretentious I have ever had . . . .Sadly in what was our favourite restaurant .
There is no excuse - the place was virtually empty . We did not bother with a sweet , so we paid our extortionate bill and left , never to return.
Very sad . . . .Nothing is the same anymore.

Room Tip: We did not stay in a room.