“One Night's Stay Near Airport”
Review of Hotel Villa Giulia

Hotel Villa Giulia
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ciampino
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Why we Chose this Hotel:

Close to the airport and to the rail link into Rome.
Only staying overnight.

Location:

About 5 minutes from Ciampino airport.

Getting there from the Airport:

There is a shuttle bus that stops outside the station in Ciampino, which is about 300m from the hotel cost 1.60 Euro.
Taxi - DON'T DO IT! We got a taxi there and the 5 minute journey was 30 Euro. When the taxi driver was challenged he said the minimum fare from the airport was always 30 Euro.

Things to do in the area:

Very little. We ended up eating in a Chinese restaurant that evening as there was very little else.
"Rita's Bar" Very friendly, sells/ alcohol/ snacks.

Hotel:

Friendly enough. nice continental breakfast.
Rooms small but adequate for a one night stay.
Air con worked fine.

Mosquitos:

We were bitten to death, as were the people running the hotel because of the unusual hot weather.

Room Tip: Hard to say. We were in room 311, which was on the ground floor. This was handy because it was eas...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tom_Silver

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I chose this hotel based on the price (booked through booking.com, 45 euros for a single room) and for the closeness to CIA airport, related a an early morning flight with Ryanair.

The hotel faces an inner courtyard, with the doors of the room either on the garden floor or on the balcony above it. Overall is a norma italian neighborhood, and safety is not a concern, it looks like just as any normal european town.

The hotel is withing walking distance from the railway station (1.20 euros one way from Termini, Rome central railway station), and less than 10 minutes away by car from Ciampino airport (I booked a taxi, 20 euros fixed rate with 1 piece of luggage).

The room I had was very small. It was more like an attic room, no desk, with a low ceiling, two small single beds and a table between them, a narrow bathroom with a shower, wc, sink and bidet.

The room and bathroom were quite clean, bedsheets were also pristine, no noises from the outside road or airport.

The clerk at the desk was nice and helpful, for the very short time I talked to him.

I didn't have time to have the breakfast, which was included in the price but served from 6.30am.

Room Tip: Take enough time to pass safety control at Ciampino airport, the qeue is often quite long.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank sibi4
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I am delighted to tell my experience of staying in this Hotel is memorable. By taxi from Airport only 15min only at 30E. Staff support is excellent,fluent in English and traditionally friendly as Italians. Rooms are spotlessly clean ,cozy and comfortable and free from noise pollution.I stayed for four days with family but not experienced anything awkward.Timely breakfast with good Italian dishes was another attraction,but less non-veg dishes.When we left Hotel at late night ,the Hotel staff (Mercello) called the Taxi for dropping us to Airport costs only 20E. I strongly recommend the Hotel to my friends and I will stay if I visit ROME again
suddhasattwa mookherji Kolkata,India.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank suddhasattwa
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Needed a place to stay the night I flew into Ciampino Airport on my way to Rome. It wasn't too difficult to find this place, though it was rather late and the streets were dark.

Honestly, I would suggest this hotel if you absolutely need to stay in Ciampino for the night, but it really is not anything to talk about. Rather cramped spaces. Helpful staff, though!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank fightingwithavim
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I deliberately chose this hotel because of its closeness to Ciampino airport - but at no time did I feel that it was too close. I had anticipated arriving in the early evening, but events overtook me and I didn't arrive until nearly one in the morning. I had telephoned ahead to say that I would be late but they simply said that there would be someone on duty throughout the night. I was given a room on the upper floor and all of the facilites that you would expect were available. Breakfast was available over a 3-hour period but the coffee was always freshly made. The bed was comfortable and there was a spare blanket available if needed. Perhaps The Hotel Inspector would not have approved of the en-suite - but there had clearly been an effort made and there were always fresh towels.
The staff on Reception were very helpful; he was happy to assist me opening a bottle of wine - even though this resulted in his opener breaking - and declined a glass for his trouble. They were happy to advise on somewhere to eat (and even phoned ahead ...).
There was no lift - this might present difficulties to some visitors. I felt perfectly happy staying here, and considered that the hotel fitted in well to this largely residential area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I would not recommend this hotel. The area felt unsafe as many houses near the hotel had guard dogs and bars on windows, that tells you something doesnt it? When we finally found this hotel, the receptionist was too busy playing on facebook and msn to help us. After a couple of awkward minutes, he gave us the room key and tv remote control...proving not very safe. The only positive thing was that the room's air conditioning was working.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more, dont go for the cheapest hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2011

This place is 1-2 miles from the airport. We paid around 15 euro for the taxi for here from the airport. The front desk guy was very helpful and spoke good English.
the a/c was weak and the room was small. Also we booked for a single room for 2 adults what we got was a very small room with two single camp beds.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ciampino
CiampinoHotel
Meeting Hotel
Meeting Hotel
#585 of 1,272 in Rome
Excel Hotel Roma Ciampino

Been to Hotel Villa Giulia? Share your experiences!