“Second time visiting...will be back again”

Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Treasure Cay
Virginia Beach
“Second time visiting...will be back again”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Treasure Cay is the best island in the Bahamas to visit if you are looking for paradise. The GM and staff at the Hotel are great! Perfect for couples and families who are looking for a vacation that is not commercialized.

Room Tip: beach/marina side
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stiletto67

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Merritt Island, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The beach is truly screensaver-worthy, and the bar is alright. We ate there 3 times and it was "just ok" every time. I reccomend the frozen banana collada. Avoid the cole-slaw and stick to the fresh fish, which seems to be really fresh and cooked to order. With a view like that, who can complain?

2 Thank MIdiner
Ponce Inlet, Florida
Reviewed June 2, 2011

The best vacation I've ever had! Greeted by the friendliest front desk clerk I think I've every known. The rooms were the perfect fit for the location...You knew you were in the Bahamas; Contemperary art pieces and beautiful oil paintings of soothing sunsets. The two story deluxe suite with a private balcony made us feel right at home with TRUE privacy! Complimented with the sound of the quiet ocean breeze and the twinkle of the moon on the water, it was so peaceful...Pure EUTOPIA!

Several restaurants to choose from...upscale dining room, great beach grill and a poolside bar with yummy munchies. Every meal was excellent (and a nice change...consistent!) and the service unbelievable! We stayed 5 days & nights. The housekeepers were very thorough and after a day at what I later found out was voted the top 5 beach in the WORLD...We returned to a beautiful room with drapes pulled back and clean sheets...you could tell they were amazingly sanitary (the smell of bleach in your room is a refreshing change from a "hotel").

I've worked in hospitality for years, so I was checking out everything and the General Manager, Patrick Fitch, amazed me at how attentive he was to all the guests and was present for the events as well. Wednesday night they have a beach bbq party with live music and when we finished eating, enjoyed their weekly bonfire on the beach! The live music and dancing on the beach with a bonfire was an unexpected bonus. We experienced trouble with Yellow Air Taxi (DO NOT EVER BOOK A FLIGHT ON THIS PLANE THAT IS CONSISTENTLY GROUNDED BY THE FAA DUE TO LACK OF BEING UP TO CODE AND NOT THE FIRST TIME THEY HAVE LOST THEIR CHARTER LICENSE TO THE BAHAMAS FOR IMMORAL PRACTICES AS WELL, STILL HAVE NOT RECEIVED A REFUND FOR A FLIGHT WE NEVER TOOK!!!) at our departure and the front desk helped us find the only other flight out of the island that day and spoke to Yellow Air Taxi for us and arranged a taxi service...since the flight was grounded thus cancelled indefinitely...we had several hours to wait, they stored our suitcases so we could enjoy a few more hours of paradise by the pool and another stroll to the beach. Thursday nights they have live entertainment at the poolside bar and 400 plus guests and locals gather to dance and laugh. We can't wait to go back and have decided we must revisit Treasure Cay Resort at least once a year! So impressive...I've never had such excellent and consistent service from every department. Good Job Treasure Cay...Keep up the GREAT Work!!!

4 Thank Becca_World
Southport, North Carolina
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My husband and I visited Treasure Cay Hotel resort and Marina May 14 - 21 for our 5th anniversary. Although our trip was almost canceled when Yellow Air taxi canceled our flights the day before, we managed to get there on time with another airline out of FFort Lauderdale. We had read reviews stating that the property was run down and generally in bad shape. We had also read that the people were rude. We were there a week, and found 99% off the negative things we had read to be untrue, in our case atleast.

While I would not choose to decorate my home with the fabrics or prints in the rooms, they were certainly appropriate for a bahamian hotel. We found our room to be very nice, spacious, very clean and well appointed. Our unit had a kitchen and we didn't need anything while we were there. We found the housekeeping staff to be incredibly friendly and very willing to accomodate our schedule. They also offered beach towels from housekeeping that were HUGE and perfect for swimming all day. Don't bother to bring your own because they are free everyday.

While the food was a little pricey, it was generally very good. We ate lunch everyday at the Coco Beach Bar and we were surprised how tasty everything was. Try the Pina Colada - its fantastic! We did go to the bbq on Tuesday and the Pizza night on Thursday. We also ate at Spinnakers on Friday for our anniversary. The other nights we ate in the condo, which was nice after a full day on the beach in the sun.

There is not much as far as shopping goes, to be honest, this place is very quiet and incredibly peaceful. There are a few shops, but mostly just retailers for your daily provisions. We did get cinnamon rolls every morning, and they were awesome. We also got ice cream at Florences one night, and it was also really good.

No on to the best part about the trip - the beach. My husband and I love to travel and have been to many beaches and we both agree that the beach at Treasure Cay is hands down one of the best in the world. The water is gorgeous, so blue and clear, it almost glows when the sun is shining. If you walk to the eastern end, you can walk out to Windward Point at low tide. This was one of our favorite days because there are conch shells, starfish and sand dollars everywhere. Just beautiful.

All in all, it was almost like having our own private resort because there were so few people there when we were. There was only 1 day when there was more than 15 people on the beach. It felt so private and quiet, it was just the most relaxing, amazing vacation we have ever had.

If you can look past outdated decor and if you can understand that time stops in the Bahamas, then this is a great place to visit. Some people might think that this place needs some work, but so much of the charm and beauty is found in the the condition of the resort. Just remember that you are in the Bahamas!! Relax and enjoy - you're on vacation remember?!?!?!

Room Tip: a kitchen unit will help you save $$$
8 Thank bksmall
JH, Wyoming
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Just returned from first visit to Treasure Cay. Facilities are showing their age but location and variety of amenities and activities (golf, diving, boat rentals, fishing, dining, beautiful beach) are highly desirable. For those staying at the hotel, be advised that there is a daily housekeeping charge (whether you use it or not) that is not included in published/quoted rates.

If you are a diver I would highly recommend Treasure Divers located at the marina just behind the Tipsy Seagull Bar. Owner Brent White is as friendly and helpful a guy as you will ever meet and runs a first class operation.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sandy V
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 14, 2011

My wife and I met my sister and her husband at the Treasure Cay Resort for a week's stay, and loved every minute of it. I read the reviews who claimed it was old and tired, and I decided I would call it "quaint". For those looking for glitzy, bustling accommodations, go to Nassau or Freeport. If you want peace, quiet, great food, and the most beautiful beach, in a rustic environment, this is your place. Owner Patrick greeted us the first night, at the restaurant, where we were enjoying some great grouper, and made us feel welcome. As we inquired about church services, he didn't know an answer, but had it within minutes, resulting in one of the more Spiritual experiences of my life at St. Francis in Marsh Harbor, a half-hour drive.
I had also read of the frightening experiences that reviewers had of burned out cars on the long drive from Marsh Harbor to Treasure Cay, and felt they just didn't understand the remoteness of Abaco Island. Again, it added to the quaintness of the whole island, and didn't detract much from my impression.
The food, service, and ambiance of Spinnakers was superb, and yes they had chicken every night. For those who didn't like eating every night in Spinnakers, the half hour drive into Marsh Harbor yielded Curly Tails, and the Abaco Inn, both fine restaurants and changes of pace, but still keeping with the quaintness of the whole Island. During the day, the excellent cracked conch and grouper burgers at the Coco Beach Bar made for some great beach-side lunches.
"Pizza Night" was just OK, certainly attracted a lot of locals to crowd the place, and provide a rather lengthy wait for a so-so pizza. It was an event nonetheless.
Internet access, while available, was spotty and slow. I had to get outside on my balcony to get any wireless signal. But I was on vacation, so if I wanted to check on an email, It was OK to walk around to look for good service, otherwise let it go!
All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get away from the glitz and fast food overcrowding, and enjoy a beautiful, tranquil, comfortable spot, on the most gorgeous beach imaginable!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Hutch1062
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Having seen these beautiful waters and beach 16 years ago when I was 13, I decided to take my wife here for our honey moon this last week. We came to the right part of the right island, but stayed at the wrong place.

Despite the fact that the rooms haven't been updated one bit in almost two decades (or much longer as some reviewers have stated), the rooms were not the bad part of the stay.

The service was and the almost con-like way that every one here tries to squeeze every last dollar they can out of you.

This place begs for gratuity on every menu, receipt and sign that you see yet almost every person that worked at this resort was rude, unhelpful and almost offended that you would ask for something or bother them when they're WORKING AT THE RESORT YOU'RE PAYING BIG MONEY AT.

Every review you read about this place that says you are practically ignored when you go up to the bar or restaurant is absolutely true. Every check-out lady at the grocery store almost seemed border-line racist that we were even shopping in there.

The front-desk ladies seem very bothered if you call or come-in and request ANYTHING, even wake-up calls.

If you don't want to pay $4 for a bag of ice, they offer free ice at the bar by the marina, which is only open in the evening for 4-5 hours. I walked up with my bucket and was completely ignored for 10 minutes. I would've said something but I was kind of intrigued and wanted to see how long I would be ignored on my first night at the resort. Being only 1 of 3 patrons at the bar, the bartender came over to me and grabbed my bucket without even making eye contact and without saying a word, filled it halfway and plopped the bucket back on the bar and walked off. I couldn't believe it! 75% of the staff there had the same attitude.

Now it was not all bad. We broke the rules and took the rented cart outside of the resort boundaries down the road another mile to a local restaurant called Chris the Burner's. That's where the real fun started and that's when we felt very, very welcomed. Apparently this place is used to resort visitors who are fed up with poor and rude service. My wife and I drank like fish, ate fresh conch and lobster and were charged just under $50 for the two of us. The locals, owner and bar staff even stayed open an hour past closing time just to let us hang out and have a good time with us. It was awesome! We ended up hiring the drummer from the Burner's local band to be our boat guide and saved about $300 from what the resort wanted to charge us. He was AWESOME! We went there as many times as we could.

The beach here is so beautiful, it will give you goosebumps and the water is equally so. And everyone says the beaches along Treasure Cay are the most beautiful beaches in the out islands of the Bahamas.

Stay in the city or area of Treasure Cay, just stay somewhere else besides the resort!!!

And get to know the locals! They will make sure you have a good time. And they love taking money away from the rude, leechy resort even at a much discounted rate!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
The Abaco Club
The Abaco Club
#2 of 6 in Marsh Harbour
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marina
Bluff House Beach Resort & Marin...
#1 of 2 in Green Turtle Cay
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
Oceanfrontier Hideaway
#2 of 5 in Great Guana Cay
Abaco Beach Resort and Boat Harbour Marina
Green Turtle Club & Marina
Green Turtle Club & Marina
#2 of 2 in Green Turtle Cay

Been to Treasure Cay Beach, Marina & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!