Last month my husband and I were fortunate enough to stay at #11 in the Los Almendros gated condo development at Playa Ocotal.
I was not prepared for the beauty of this location. The photos just don't do it justice...they can't capture the stunning drop from the back porch down to the black-sand beach and reefs below, the vast sweep of the view to the edge of Ocotal Bay to the left...and beyond the cliffs to the distant mountains and beaches of Northern Costa Rica to the right. Tall and nearly-leafless trees growing up the steep slope that plunges to the beach make perches for a multitude of wild parakeets and other tropical birds.
Although we brought our snorkeling gear to take advantage of what we've been told is a wonderful reef right below the condo, we found ourselves spending much of our time just sitting and gazing out the back windows or off the porch at this amazing view, listening to the waves crashing on the beach and reef below and to the birds singing in the trees.
Yes, we walked on the beach every day. Yes, we picked up lots of tiny sea shells, watched the fishing boats coming and going, and explored the tide pools. Yes, we spent time every afternoon soaking in the "infinity pool" located directly across from the condo's front door, talking with other vacationers. But the highlight of our visit was the time we spent relaxing in this spotless condo, drinking in the view, preparing simple meals in the well-equipped kitchen and eating them on the glass-topped table in front of the floor-to-ceiling window that overlooked the bay (you could actually look through the table and down to ocean).
The condo has dozens of CDs, though we preferred to listen to the waves and the birds. Also available is a vast library of high-quality DVDs for all ages. I imagine this could be a wonderful destination for a family wanting to stay in an area with little commercial development--teens might be drawn by the snorkeling or by taking advantage of the tours (www.Mardigitours.com) recommended by condo owners Carol and Gordy...and this condo also has high-speed Internet. It was a spectacular destination for a couple who just wanted the chance to relax and reconnect with the beauty of the world and each other.
Thanks, Carol and Gordy, for responding to all our questions, reassuring us about directions, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. and for providing such a comfortable, welcoming place so we and others can enjoy this bit of paradise, too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Ocotal's best beachfront value!!! Modern 2, 3 and 5 bedroom condos with beautiful ocean views. A/C, WiFi, cable TV and fully equipped kitchens. Three swimming pools. Beautiful landscaping. 24 hour security. Covered parking. 2-3 minute walk to Playa Ocotal Beach. Playa Ocotal is a prestigous "Blue Flag" beach. The beach has no dangerous riptides and offers excellent family swimming and snorkeling. The rock formations directly below Los Almendros protect numerous species of colorful tropical fish and offer excellent snorkeling. Bilingual staff on duty 7 days a week. General Manager has several years experience planning Guanacaste vacation activities. 5 minutes from Coco's excellent restaurants, souvenir shops, discos and grocery stores. Rocket Frog Diver's office is nearby. Los Almendros guests can walk to Rocket Frog's business office and boat launch site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Los Almendros de Ocotal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Los Almendros De Ocotal Hotel Playa Ocotal
- Los Almendros De Ocotal Costa Rica/Playa Ocotal