All reviews infinity pool the cliff iguanas ocean beach
Reviewed February 28, 2014

A very clean hotel with the best views in the world! The staff was very helpful and accommodating, unfortunately the hotel ownership is not spending much on upkeep. There is a pool bar that has not been used for what appears to be a few years. Great beach below and be sure to walk down to Father Rooster's restaurant. The included breakfast was good, with a choice of local or American type foods.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I booked this hotel via a Groupon, but of course read the reviews on Trip Advisor (as I always do) prior to booking. This hotel, as others have mentioned, is not a resort. But it could be a gorgeous hotel as the location is just amazing.
On the positive side
1. Staff was always kind and courteous and willing to assist in anyway
2. The rooms were spacious and clean
3. The location is just amazing, high on a hill overlooking the Pacific
4. Secluded beach, uncrowded and a short walk
5. Pools were all working, cleaned every day, and because so few people were there you pretty much had the pool to yourself
6. Great breakfast
On the negative side
1. The hotel is worn down and needs some major rehab
2. I would suggest a car, as nothing (except the beach and one great restaurant) is within walking distance
3. The beach is nice, but if you have difficulty walking or going uphill (it is pretty steep), you should not stay here.
4. The hotel will book activities, but many of them are far away and take all day.

If you get a good price and by that I mean <$100.00, then by all means go. But you will be disappointed if you think of this hotel as a resort, and pay the going rate.

I hope the Ocotal owners spend the money this hotel deserves to bring it to the resort it can be. That being said, I really enjoyed my time here, very relaxing, lovely staff and I would absolutely return.

Room tip: We stayed in the 400 block, that block has the best views and a private infinity pool
Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Janly
Pat P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Greetings from Ocotal Beach Resort!

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
We are very pleased to hear you had a pleasant time at our hotel.We will work harder everyday in your suggestions to make a hotel a better place so our guests have a great time every time they visit us. We offer an internal shuttle service for our guests to go to/from the beach, just ask for it at front desk next time you visit us :)

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed January 27, 2014

If you are going to Guanacaste in the Playa del Coco area DO NOT use this hotel. First of all, it is very difficult to find. When we finally found it there was confusion from the guards at the 3 security checkpoints we had to go through. The entrance to the ocean view rooms are like an office door lock that you must use going out or in. What happens if there is a fire??? You must open it with a door key and push curtains aside to enter. The bed in my room was VERY uncomfortable; the AC was not working correctly, and the water pressure was very low.. We had dinner in their restaurant; the food was VERY bad for all 3 of us. I ordered a gin tonic and the tonic was flat. The server did finally fix that with opening a new can of tonic water. He explained the carbon dioxide was low in the machine. The margarita tasted funny for another friend. The breakfast the next morning (which came with the stay) was bland. Every pool and/or jacuzzi looks like it hasn't been cleaned in months. Unfortunately, the place is so isolated it's difficult to go anywhere else to eat. When I asked the receptionist at the front desk if there was a shuttle available to the Liberia Airport (20 minutes away) she said it would be $60 (what a rip off)! We only paid $50 each for a shuttle from Manuel Antonio area to Guanacaste which is a 4 hour ride the day before. .Do yourself a favor and stay in Playa Hermosa; we saw lots of very nice hotels in that area which is only 10 minutes away and even closer to the Liberia Airport.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Randall60645
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hotel has so much potential! We stayed in an ocean view room and it seemed like a huge - very nice room - but the hotel almost seemed run down, and not maintained as well as it could be. That said we really enjoyed it - we had what felt like a secluded beach (granted we had to climb up and down to get to it, but i think that's the case with most beaches in the mountain areas). The staff was very friendly, and helpful. The breakfasts were nice, simple but very delicious. Ants around - but that's to be expected when traveling in such areas. They told us we'd have wifi in the room but it was broken so it wasn't really working. Overall I think this is a good hotel and has lots of great potential - and we really enjoyed our stay - but it did leave something to be desired.

Date of stay: January 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank YelizavetaYR

Greetings from Ocotal Beach Resort!

Thank you for your kind comments.

It's always pleasant to hear our guests enjoy their stay with us. We will continue to work everyday in making our hotel a better place for memorable vacations :)

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Before booking my stay here, I read many of the reviews here on Trip Advisor. I was concerned because there seemed to be such a range of responses. I decided to stay here because I was in Ocotal/Coco Beach to Scuba dive and this resort had a dive shop. Having stayed here, I think I understand the range of reviews. There is nothing "wrong" with this hotel, but what sets it apart and makes it worth the stay is the view. I loved the place and plan to go back, but I'll cover why it worked for me (and why it may not work for you) below.

I stayed here for 4 nights in July as part of a longer trip to Costa Rica with my 14 year old son. We had a rental car (a Suzuki Jimny 4x4). We spent our mornings Scuba diving and our afternoons exploring the Nicoya Peninsula. We are not the sort of people who just "hang out" at our resort.

The hill: Yes, the resort has a very steep hill. This is how they're able to have both fantastic views and beach access. My little 4x4 had to be in first gear to make it up to the top. The panoramic view rooms are at the top of the hill, the lobby and restaurant are mid-way, the beach is at the bottom. There is a path, it is very steep. If you are out of shape, have bad knees, etc. this might be a problem. I enjoyed the walk and never took the shuttle the hotel provided, so I can't comment on that.

The landscaping: This resort is not a landscaped garden. I liked that. The wild jungle surrounds the hotel, the beach is very natural. Animals wander about: we saw iguanas, coati, squirrels, birds, intriguing insects. At breakfast (which we ate outside on the restaurant's lovely patio), animals always showed up, including some rather aggressive blue jays. If this will bother/scare you, you might not like this place. If you you're like me, the only problem will be that your always stopping to take another picture.

The room: The room itself met all my standards - it was clean, the beds were comfortable, the A/C worked, the bathroom was a decent size and there was always hot water. It was not a "plush" luxury type room, but I didn't need it to be. We had one of the "panoramic view standard rooms" and it had a private patio with an AMAZING view. There was an iguana that was always hanging around outside on our patio. We loved it!

The resort: The use of the word "resort" is a very subjective thing. Be clear: this is not a "resort" like you might find in Cancun. This is a hotel with a several pools, access to a beach and a small restaurant. There was no waiter coming by the pool area with drinks. No organized activities. There were leaves from the trees in the pools at times (although all three pools were open and clearly cleaned on a regular basis).

The restaurant: The breakfast was decent, I never had dinner there. It didn't seem to be a brilliant place to eat, but the view from the patio made breakfast enjoyable. The wifi doesn't reach to the rooms, so I sat on the patio each night and had a beer while on my laptop. The restaurant wasn't crowded, so there was no pressure to give up my table even though I wasn't eating.

Service: Everyone I dealt with was friendly. I managed to get by without any Spanish. Of course, I didn't need anything special and I don't think any of the staff was up to the level of a true concierge.

Location: The resort is a bit isolated. There is no real "town" in Ocotal and Coco is about a 15 minute drive on what could be a confusing back road (we completely missed the entrance when we arrived and I had printed out a very clear Google Maps set of directions). If I had been without a car, I think I would have been unhappy with the location. On the other hand, the view from the hill top location made up for any isolation. The views in nearby Coco beach were just not as dramatically beautiful. Also, if you are a Scuba diver, this is a great area (much of the Pacific coast line is more suited for surfing that Scuba).

Value: I looked at prices on the hotel's website and I might have been less thrilled with the place if I had paid "rack rate." But I didn't. Look around at discount sites (particularly if traveling in the "Green" season).

All in all, this is a great place. If you never plan to leave your hotel, stay at one of the "name brand" resorts somewhere else along the Pacific coast (or better yet, just go to Mexico). If you are in Costa Rica to have the Central American backpacker experience, you can find someplace much cheaper. But if you are the sort of traveler that falls in the middle of those two extremes, you'll find Ocotal to be a beautiful and Ocotal Beach Resort to be a lovely place to stay.

Room tip: Don't be afraid to books the cheapest rooms, they aren't next to the beach, but they have the best views!
Date of stay: July 2013