All reviewsinfinity poolthe cliffiguanasoceanbeach
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The hotel has so much potential! We stayed in an ocean view room and it seemed like a huge - very nice room - but the hotel almost seemed run down, and not maintained as well as it could be. That said we really enjoyed it - we had what felt like a secluded beach (granted we had to climb up and down to get to it, but i think that's the case with most beaches in the mountain areas). The staff was very friendly, and helpful. The breakfasts were nice, simple but very delicious. Ants around - but that's to be expected when traveling in such areas. They told us we'd have wifi in the room but it was broken so it wasn't really working. Overall I think this is a good hotel and has lots of great potential - and we really enjoyed our stay - but it did leave something to be desired.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank YelizavetaYR
Pat P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Greetings from Ocotal Beach Resort!

Thank you for your kind comments.

It's always pleasant to hear our guests enjoy their stay with us. We will continue to work everyday in making our hotel a better place for memorable vacations :)

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Before booking my stay here, I read many of the reviews here on Trip Advisor. I was concerned because there seemed to be such a range of responses. I decided to stay here because I was in Ocotal/Coco Beach to Scuba dive and this resort had a dive shop. Having stayed here, I think I understand the range of reviews. There is nothing "wrong" with this hotel, but what sets it apart and makes it worth the stay is the view. I loved the place and plan to go back, but I'll cover why it worked for me (and why it may not work for you) below.

I stayed here for 4 nights in July as part of a longer trip to Costa Rica with my 14 year old son. We had a rental car (a Suzuki Jimny 4x4). We spent our mornings Scuba diving and our afternoons exploring the Nicoya Peninsula. We are not the sort of people who just "hang out" at our resort.

The hill: Yes, the resort has a very steep hill. This is how they're able to have both fantastic views and beach access. My little 4x4 had to be in first gear to make it up to the top. The panoramic view rooms are at the top of the hill, the lobby and restaurant are mid-way, the beach is at the bottom. There is a path, it is very steep. If you are out of shape, have bad knees, etc. this might be a problem. I enjoyed the walk and never took the shuttle the hotel provided, so I can't comment on that.

The landscaping: This resort is not a landscaped garden. I liked that. The wild jungle surrounds the hotel, the beach is very natural. Animals wander about: we saw iguanas, coati, squirrels, birds, intriguing insects. At breakfast (which we ate outside on the restaurant's lovely patio), animals always showed up, including some rather aggressive blue jays. If this will bother/scare you, you might not like this place. If you you're like me, the only problem will be that your always stopping to take another picture.

The room: The room itself met all my standards - it was clean, the beds were comfortable, the A/C worked, the bathroom was a decent size and there was always hot water. It was not a "plush" luxury type room, but I didn't need it to be. We had one of the "panoramic view standard rooms" and it had a private patio with an AMAZING view. There was an iguana that was always hanging around outside on our patio. We loved it!

The resort: The use of the word "resort" is a very subjective thing. Be clear: this is not a "resort" like you might find in Cancun. This is a hotel with a several pools, access to a beach and a small restaurant. There was no waiter coming by the pool area with drinks. No organized activities. There were leaves from the trees in the pools at times (although all three pools were open and clearly cleaned on a regular basis).

The restaurant: The breakfast was decent, I never had dinner there. It didn't seem to be a brilliant place to eat, but the view from the patio made breakfast enjoyable. The wifi doesn't reach to the rooms, so I sat on the patio each night and had a beer while on my laptop. The restaurant wasn't crowded, so there was no pressure to give up my table even though I wasn't eating.

Service: Everyone I dealt with was friendly. I managed to get by without any Spanish. Of course, I didn't need anything special and I don't think any of the staff was up to the level of a true concierge.

Location: The resort is a bit isolated. There is no real "town" in Ocotal and Coco is about a 15 minute drive on what could be a confusing back road (we completely missed the entrance when we arrived and I had printed out a very clear Google Maps set of directions). If I had been without a car, I think I would have been unhappy with the location. On the other hand, the view from the hill top location made up for any isolation. The views in nearby Coco beach were just not as dramatically beautiful. Also, if you are a Scuba diver, this is a great area (much of the Pacific coast line is more suited for surfing that Scuba).

Value: I looked at prices on the hotel's website and I might have been less thrilled with the place if I had paid "rack rate." But I didn't. Look around at discount sites (particularly if traveling in the "Green" season).

All in all, this is a great place. If you never plan to leave your hotel, stay at one of the "name brand" resorts somewhere else along the Pacific coast (or better yet, just go to Mexico). If you are in Costa Rica to have the Central American backpacker experience, you can find someplace much cheaper. But if you are the sort of traveler that falls in the middle of those two extremes, you'll find Ocotal to be a beautiful and Ocotal Beach Resort to be a lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to books the cheapest rooms, they aren't next to the beach, but they have the best views!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank gailberg
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Well, the staff was very friendly and very accommodating. The views from the room and patio restaurant were spectacular! This resort is in dire need of better mgmt, maintenance, and overall customer care. It's a very long walk downhill on a winding path to the beach and pool area. Once you arrive there is no one to service you except the bartender serving drinks. There were NO towels available poolside. And I wasn't about to go back up to the hotel to get one as it was too far (UPHILL). When I got back to the room I noticed that I forgot my toothbrush and when I went to the hotel lobby they told me I had to take a cab into town to the grocery store to buy one. They sell absolutely no sundries. Only water and soda. There were a consistent flow of bugs passing thru our room. I left the door open to enjoy the breeze while reading and some raccoons decided to walk in. Great location. great views. Good food. They should drop the name resort until they make some significant cosmetic and convenience improvements.

Room Tip: ask them if there have been any renovations since Dec 2013.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ltrillo
Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I read many reviews before booking here for a Christmas visit. The reviews are right to point out some minor issues with the upkeep of the property, but this is really insignificant once you are there.

The location is fabulous. The people are great. The local restaurants are very good.
If opulent perfection is your need, try the Four Seasons. Otherwise this hotel is a great choice for a few days.

Like everywhere in Costa Rica it is a huge mistake to stay in the confines of any one property. All inclusives are wasted here. Get out and have the local experiences. It is truly an eye opener!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank leeattoronto
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I spent one night here last week. As some other reviews note the facility is in need of an update. The room was average at best. The main feature of the resort is the view from the small patio and room. The resort is quiet with good security.
The overall service was good. The food was good (dinner and breakfast).
The black sand beach area is downhill from the resort. The facilities at the beach are minimal. We don't plan to return and believe there are other better locations especially considering the cost.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple