All reviews infinity pool the cliff iguanas ocean beach
Reviewed October 8, 2013

So there ate two perimeter fences and a guy who calls you in at the second one. It's oceanfront but you are high on a hill- there is a big pool but no water in it- so you use a crowded smaller pool- the hot and cold in the shower does not regulate properly so its cold- they say a buffet breakfast and I get a plate- to bread no tortilla- they say its a tica breakfast- part of a tica breakfast- I need a ride- the resort guy wants to take me down the coast in a large van - I say too much money- so he picks me up in a small taxi- he is perturbed and does not carry my SUITCASE. It's isolated and safe but too far to walk to town

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank surferboyVA
Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I planned a two week vacation at the Ocotal Beach Resort. Mardigi Tours located in the lobby made it such a good time we decided to extend our vacation another week. Mardigi Tours gave us a variety of options everyday at a really good price compared to other tour guides. The owner Marvin assigned Mark as our guide it was like going everywhere with a buddy. We took multiple excursions up rivers, jungles, beaches and even to Nicaragua.We had one of the duplex units with a step out the back door had our pool right there and few more steps led to the path to the beach. What a life.We did this last spring and are going back this fall for an extended visit.

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jim D
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel looked great in pictures and setting. The setting was fantastic but the hotel had a lot of poor repairs done, many of the repairs seemed incomplete. The room was big, but on the first night we did not have hot water and when we went to talk to the front office they didn't seem too interested in listening but the problem was fixed. The setting is truly amazing as you sit on the deck and overlook the ocean and take in a most amazing sunset.
The restaurant was a little disappointing. The food really was not that great. It wasnt horrible, but I was expecting better. One of the issues we had were the two resident 6 foot iguanas who would essentially sit at your feet and look as though they were begging for food. It made my wife rather uncomfortable, as well as many other guests.
When we signed up for a snorkeling at the scuba shop at this hotel we were paired up with a couple of scuba divers and were pretty much left to our own devices as the scuba master ws obviously diving with the other two divers. We really felt abandoned on this expedition.
Overall this was the most disappointing hotel on our trip and we really regretted having stayed here. The only thing that made this part of the trip to Palo Verde National Park. That was awesome.

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cantwit
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The room was better than expected. The semi-private pool was very nice! The main pool area was rundown, the bar empty. This was probably because it was off season. The restaurant on the property was great! The snorkeling was substandard compared to Mexico and Belize. We used the guide on the beach at Ocotal. His prices were reasonable and they were very nice and professional. The husband went rooster fishing and got nothing. It seems that he should have gone further out, but they did not tell him that. He got some Mahi Mahi that was out of this world though!

Room tip: Room 212 was the best.
Date of stay: July 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank jerseygirl7788
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Early this month myself and five members of my family overnighted at the Ocotal Beach Resort and this was the best hotel for an overnight stay. The restaurant staff deserved to be commended for their service both during dinner and breakfast the following day.

I would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone looking not only for an overnight stay but for longer.

Room tip: The sunset suites are the best - what a spectacular view, not to mention the view from the restaurant which overlooked the beach.
Date of stay: August 2013