“Our first visit to Costa Rica”

Ocotal Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Playa Ocotal
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The room was better than expected. The semi-private pool was very nice! The main pool area was rundown, the bar empty. This was probably because it was off season. The restaurant on the property was great! The snorkeling was substandard compared to Mexico and Belize. We used the guide on the beach at Ocotal. His prices were reasonable and they were very nice and professional. The husband went rooster fishing and got nothing. It seems that he should have gone further out, but they did not tell him that. He got some Mahi Mahi that was out of this world though!

Room Tip: Room 212 was the best.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jerseygirl7788

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Early this month myself and five members of my family overnighted at the Ocotal Beach Resort and this was the best hotel for an overnight stay. The restaurant staff deserved to be commended for their service both during dinner and breakfast the following day.

I would gladly recommend this hotel to anyone looking not only for an overnight stay but for longer.

Room Tip: The sunset suites are the best - what a spectacular view, not to mention the view from the restauran...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

In 4 trips to Costa Rica we must have spent about 20 nights in the Ocotal Beach resort...! Each time it feels like coming home. The view is unique, and still breathtaking every single time we come back. We've seen dolphins, whales, monkeys and lots of other animals from very close! The rooms are very comfortable and ideal for a beach vacation. The breakfast is great and the staff super friendly (a special thanks to Wilmer!). They make us feel very welcome. When you take the short walk down to the quiet Ocotal beach you can choose to take a kayak, jetski, boat or go snorkel, swim or just sun bathing. We hope we can come back many more times!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Suiza13
Reviewed July 13, 2013

although the property was a little outdated,kosher expeditions did a great job in the passover program in 2011..i read the bad reviews but there is always a couple of disgruntled guests..my family had a great time and would recommend kosher expeditions as well as well as other guests that we met there would..they have now switched to a different location and we plan to join them for passover 2014.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here in Febuary. Booked through Hotels.com and they overcharged me for the room due to my mistake or theirs. I happened to meet the owner of the resort and in conversation mention what happened. He was apolegetic,even though it was not his fault, and offered me the next nights stay at a very good price. He did say he was upgrading many things in the resort.
The room we stayed in was plain but clean and did the job. The view from our patio was just fantastic, looking out at the ocean from a few hundred feet above it. The view from the infinity pool was breathtaking.We ate breakfast on both days, which came with the price of room, and it was good. Service was A1 and friendly.
The resort is built on a steep incline so anyone who has problems with walking could have a hard time going up and down to the beach. There is a van which will take you back and forth from the beach and the town which is a few miles away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kitcheneral
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am finally getting around to writing this review after staying at Ocotal in October 2012.
As you can read from many other reviews, this property is in need of some serious repair. Much of the property is outdated and there were several things which were just not functioning.
However, I always think it is important to keep everything in perspective. For the price I paid, I thought it was an excellent location and value, and didn't expect everything to be perfect. Additionally, as it was October, I knew it was not yet the high season so I didn't expect everything to be up and perfect in the off-season.
The location is a quick trip from Liberia airport and it is super easy to arrange cabs to Coco Beach, which we did almost every night. I liked being near everything, but also away from it all. There were multiple pools, plus the beach and seeing as how I wanted to just relax for vacation this was perfect.
We did a few excursions, which were super easy to arrange and they were such a good time.

I would definitely go back to Ocotal, and the area in general, and am considering it in the very near future. I think anyone who has major complaints about the rooms and wi-fi should perhaps look for a new hotel that is near the airport or wherever. You don't go here to sit in your room on the computer. It's absolutely stunning outside.
Oh and the staff are amazing! So friendly and willing to help with anything!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank NEWise
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This was a great place to stay! I was just there about 2 weeks ago and it was amazing. The views are beautiful! The service was great, the resort and beach was clean and the food was good. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: June 2013
#1 of 3 in Playa Panama
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Ocotal Beach Resort? Share your experiences!