All reviews infinity pool the cliff iguanas ocean beach
Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Ocotal is in need for an overhaul of its dated look. Its location is beautifully set above the beach with views as good as any I have seen in the world but the service and rooms are not up to the standard you'd expect with a view as good as the Ocotal's.

As others have said the hotel promises Internet, which is the air Americans breathe these days, and it failed to deliver it for us. After complaining that we had no net we were told that it could be the fault of, "the wind". This kind of silly excuse might have gone uncommented on ten years ago but today it doesn't wash. After saying we would leave without the net our room was upgraded to a Bungalow Suite with private pool and there was no Internet there either. Then we were told they were working on it and we could have moved to another room which they said had Internet. For one night we lived without the net and went into town where it was free and ubiquitous.

The breakfast which was included was very good if you like Costa Rican food and eggs which were cooked to order. I asked for pancakes and the waiter never came back the fruit was excellent. The views from the outdoor breakfast area made up for the lack of pancakes as it was as good as any I have seen anywhere at any price.

Our pool was clean and offered very nice views of the Pacific and other than the fact that the room looked like 1985 it was serviceable. I would recommend the Ocatal for the way we used it, i.e. as a close by waterfront hotel to the nearby Liberia Airport. Why lose a last day of a holiday staying at the Airport Hilton when you can get up have a nice breakfast take a dip and drive to the airport by 10:00AM.? I would not stay here for days or on a honeymoon expecting a luxury holiday.

Room Tip: Don't pay $200+ for a Bungalow the other pools and rooms are about as good.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 2nynbak
Pat P, Manager at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Sir:

Best regards from the Ocotal Beach Resort in Guanacaste, Costa Rica.

We greatly appreciate your comments, we are making a total evaluation of the hotel now, we will implement a monitoring program to all suggestions provided by our customers in order to solve each of them if necessary.

We wished you had asked to speak with management and have personally attended.

We are at your service and look forward again with the favor of his visit very soon.

Any additional questions can make the email: mercadeo@ocotalresort.com

Many Thanks,

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We dove with them for 2 excellent dives. Well run. Well organized. Good rental equipment. Unfortunately I lost my shorty wet suit there and was too lazy to go back for it. That's because of the great service. Our gear was all brought to and from the dive boat and cleaned for us after the dives (which is why i forgot the suit). Tons of wildlife especially Rays, Eels, Snakes etc. Definately in the top few dives I've done and I've been around a bit.

1  Thank egaquaman

Dear Sir:

Best regards from the Ocotal Beach Resort in Guanacastel, Costa Rica.

We appreciate your feedback, excellence in service is our reason for being, We are delighted that diving in our hotel has been satisfactory.

We look forward to your visit again soon at the lhotel.

Any additional comments please write to mercadeo@ocotalresort.com

Many Thanks,

Reviewed January 7, 2013

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The first room we received had a view of the ocean with a large roof just below it so not really a good view. One quick call and we had a new room with a great view. Accommodations seemed a little dated but overall, our experience was good. We also set up SCUBA diving with the on sight shop and the operation was fantastic. It was our sons, 11 years old, first open salt water dives and we were very comfortable with the staff and our dive master.

Also, being a couple of minute drive from Playa Del Coco meant we could enjoy that area as well without staying in the noise of it all.

Room Tip: They do have rooms right at beach level which would be pretty cool for stepping right out to the beach. Our rooms were on a hill which offered great views but it was a walk to the beach as well as the pool bar.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned home from our honeymoon at Ocotal Beach Resort. Unfortunately, we were very unimpressed with this hotel. I'm so thankful the two other hotels we stayed at in Arenal were fabulous, to somewhat make up for this awful place.

First of all, we paid over $200/night and were on our honeymoon. It was a terrible place to stay for the final four nights of our honeymoon and I actually looked around for other nearby options after our first night there. We arrived around 3pm and our room was not ready. We went out to Father Roosters nearby for lunch (which was fabulous, and I highly recommend!) while we waited for our room. About an hour later, our room was ready, so we went in to change and relax. One of the housekeepers opened the door without knocking to bring in cups, which she must have run out of when cleaning/setting up the room. While I appreciate her finishing up, she should have knocked before entering.

That evening we walked up to look at the hotel dinner menu. I was shocked one that there were only four entree options and two how overpriced the food was compared to everywhere else we went. We ended up going into Coco Beach or eating at Father Rosters for every meal because of the lack of options on site. In addition, the food quality at the breakfast buffet was just average.

Before we went to bed the first night, I noticed spots of blood on our comforter. I was horrified and when I called reception, the woman acted like I was being a brat for requesting housekeeping to come change our sheets. It took them over an hour to come take care of this, when all we wanted was to go to bed after an exhausting day of traveling.

We had a little pool outside our room, overlooking the beach. I thought it was adorable, but when I went out to look closer, it was filthy. There was no way I would have swam/soaked, or relaxed in there because it was filled with dirt, leaves, etc. and did not look like it had been cleaned in months.

One reason we booked here was because of the free wi-fi, which didn't work. When we were sitting on the couch in the reception office it worked, but nowhere else on site. Very frustrating!

Finally, some the photos on Expedia, Ocotal's web site, and Ocotal's facebook page are NOT this hotel. Some may have been, but most of the photos of the grounds and infinity pool were no where to be found. There are a few specific photos I have in mind, but those images were no where to be found of the infinity pools.

I'm so unimpressed with this hotel and so mad that we spent nearly $1,000 to stay here for four nights. It was absolutely not worth it and I don't recommend it to anyone. Yes, the views from outside were gorgeous...but notice being outside, looking over the ocean was the only pretty thing there.

Room Tip: Grungy and over-priced. Don't waste your money here!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank DevoDiva
Pat P, Director of Sales at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Dear Sir:

Best regards from the Ocotal Beach Resort in Guanacaste , Costa Rica.

Regarding your comments, we are very sorry for any inconvenience to our hotel. We are following up on each of the points. The general management always has its doors open to serve our customers, we would have liked to talk to you at the time of the situation to resolve it.

We appreciate your feedback, it helps us to improve day by day.

We are here to serve you, any additional questions please write to email: mercadeo@ocotalresort.com

Marketing Managemen

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days - the view was fantastic (300 series room) as well as from the restaurant. This hotel has great potential, but has fallen behind in maintaining the facility. We had no table lamp, dirty patio tiles, cracked sidewalk, broken TV channel changer, etc.... Nothing horrid, but somewhat frustrating and certainly didn't live up to a 4 star rating. Also, the wi-fi was hard to connect to in the rooms.

The wait staff at the restaurant were nice and the food adequate - nothing special, but decent food if you didn't want to go into town.

The large pool was very nice - just a steep walk to get back to your room.

Room Tip: If you want a few, choose the 300 or 400 rooms.
3  Thank mpgfamily
Pat P, Manager at Ocotal Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Sir:

Thank you very much for your feedback, we will follow up on your complaint, we had problems with the wifi signal in the area, but we are working to resolve this situation. We are sending a copy of your report to the maintenance department.

Any additional questions or concerns please do it to mercadeo@ocotalresort.com

Regards,