Ocotal Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Bahia Pez Vela Resort(Playas del Coco)
View Hotel
Marina Loft Apart-Hotel(Playas del Coco)
View Hotel
Cabinas Coco Azul(Playas del Coco)
View Hotel
Hotel Coco Palms(Playas del Coco)
View Hotel
Hotel Riu Guanacaste(Playa Matapalo)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Coco Beach & Casino(Playas del Coco)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Savannah(Playas del Coco)
View Hotel
Hotel La Flor de Itabo(Playas del Coco)
All reviewsinfinity poolthe cliffiguanasoceanbeach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed in the main hotel at the top of the hill. The views were stunning, and the infinity pool at the top was very relaxing.

The black beach was a little small, but we had it mostly to ourselves.

The room was nice, but the bathroom needs to be updated. For the price, though, it was fine.

The property itself is large. It looked to have great options for families with cars -- the property had a number of Pacific-facing cottages, each with a small pool.

Don't expect 'resort.' There's one restaurant with great views, and they don't have an onsite spa. While we weren't planning on massages when we booked our trip, after two days crammed with canyoneering, whitewater, hiking, in Arenal plus the drive down to the shore, it would have been a nice option.

For views and value, though, this one is hard to beat!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Is this the most luxurious place I've stayed in, no, but I was very happy with my experience here. The views are absolutely amazing, you are literally right smack dab on the ocean and surrounded by lush tropical foliage. There are 3 pools of varying sizes at this resort, all very clean and well taken care of. There are also 2 hot tubs, also very clean but the water was a tad bit too cool for me. There are tennis courts, a dive shop, an exercise room, ect.everything a good resort has. The room was very nice,very clean and the furnishings fit their tropical surroundings. Yes I have to agree with another review that the bathrooms are dated and somewhat lacking,but how much time are you spending in the bathroom anyway? The beds were comfy and our room came with a flat screen tv, hair dryer, mini fridge, clock radio, safe, ect. What was great was that wireless internet and full service breakfast was included with our stay.That in itself made up for the less than perfect bathroom. There is a restaurant in the resort and the food is absolutely delicious. We had one dinner there and breakfast every morning. The morning breakfasts were huge and filled with excitement because as we dined we were visited by large iguanas and beautiful birds that came right up to us. Amazing experience. The resort was very clean and well taken care of and the staff very friendly. And we signed up for a tour by Mardigi tours, through the resort, and it was the best part of our vacation. If you stay at this resort, sign up for a Mardigi tour. If you want incredible views, experience wildlife in its natural environment, and be a short walk from the ocean, stay here. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2012

We stayed here for two nights after we had to check out early from our horrifying stay at Blue River resort and hot springs (you can check out my review on that resort - posting date is Aug 12 2012).

This resort has a lot of potential. The views are just incredible, we stayed in 300s and the oceanview from your room is just amazing. Each room had a patio, with a couple of chairs out front and I enjoyed the mornings sitting out there watching the views and wildlife.
Note that at dawn and dusk typically the howler monkeys can be seen just outside the reception in the large tree (cant miss it). Incredible.

Now to the rooms. It was almost as if they stopped a reno mid-way. The vanity was really nice and the tiles outside of the bathroom in front of the vanity (only a small area) were really nice. Other than that, the room was in desperate need of a paint job and the bathroom was quite dated. I was able to hear the conversation of the people next to us, word for word, no joke. The walls were very thin.

Guests were friendly and the pools and beach were really nice. Overall for the right price I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2012

So, I'm on day 2 of my 13 night stay at ocotal br, and maybe 13 is unlucky for some! I'm in bungalow 203 which is located near the bottom of the hill from reception. The setting is beautiful, I'm by my pool, each bungalow shares a pool with a neighbour. Each building is 2x bungalows back to back. The whole ambiance here is perfect, but there's so many things lacking that are totally easy, it's upsetting to see. Check in was easy, however, they ask you to sign a blank old school credit card swipe docket which I didn't like as there's no amount inserted. Needless to say I rang my credit card company and advised them I will confirm any payments to be honoured by ocotal br. I wasnt at all comfortable with this and have been advised that this practice is actually illegal, so the start wasn't exactly comforting! Simple checks before someone checks in should be made, clearly not! The list of what "should" be in the bungalow isn't correct in my experience. So far, we have no blackout blinds, so 2x 5am wake ups for me, there's no wifi " in" the rooms, you have to sit outside, sitting outside by my pool greets me in total shade, there's a small plentiful patio, but the trees are so vast, I can't see the ocean, just hear it, and there's no sun. The location is perfect, right on the end of the mountain( kinda) but there's so many trees you cannot appreciate the beauty! We have 1 glass, no milk for coffee, no air con remote control, no clothes hangers and no soap, I've had to request all of these, basic things that should be checked after the room is prepared. When you order the shuttle to take you to breakfast, exect to wait, then chase it. Breakfast is behind the reception in a beautiful setting, I ordered healthy breakfast which consists of under toasted bread, cereal and a fruit plate, namely 2small pieces of pineapple and watermelon!!!!

Expect a look of total blankness when you request anything! This place has potential but maybe it's just mańana.....well maybe mańana I'll stay somewhere else! Sad but 2 stars when so easily could be 4/5!

Room Tip: I'm in bungalow 203, great spot but shaded and must be patient for the shuttle!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank LeighCobb
Reviewed August 10, 2012

My family & I are Americans who LIVE in CR full time. We go to the beach most weekends. Please know that no TICO would put up with this place and vacationers should not pay for such poor accommodation!

those who like this place either have very limited experience with travel in CR , are divers who just want a place to hang their masks, or paid shills..

1. All CR beach areas have great views so don't fawn & think you got a deal. Also, almost all CR hotels are family oriented. After all, this is a conservative Catholic Country blessed with great natural resources, not Vegas!
2. This is a small, black sand beach/boat harbor, not good swimming & no good snorkeling. BUT,Just perfect for catching the morning dive boats to the reefs.
3. The site is remote and far from the city of Playa Del Coco, if you don't have your own car, be prepared to pay $20+ each trip down town (so much for any groupon discount). Lucky we have our own car.
4. Breakfast- eggs white bread toast bacon beans/rice, and pineapple - no other fruit or pastries nor any yogurts. Didn't cost them $.50 US for their "free" breakfast most places down here offer greater selection.
5. Very understaffed-1 maid for entire complex- left at 7 am fishing came back at 6 pm room was not made up-when we asked for fresh soaps and towels to clean up was told to wait for maid-ALSO of 3 main pools 2 had green algae and the private bungalow pools had it too (we stayed in bungalows)Only cleaned them upon my complaint- no bartender either -(we have cooler with soda beer snacks etc). The front desk said they are aware of this problem the owner/manager doesn't come here much & wont hire the necessary help -thinks it is good enough for his guests. (FYI hourly wages in CR are $2.00/hr including free medical) so cost of labor is not a big expense.
6.rooms do not have fire safety doors!!!!-bungalow & regular room have doors to adjoining rooms to make double suites- when neighbors turn light on it shines into your room about 1/2 inch all around the door cigarette smoke and voices come thru too.
7. Tours packages are overpriced for the season and operators were caught in major lies (thinking we were stupid gringos not locals). Was told cost of boat rental was high bcs it was high season. This is the rainy low season & rates should reflect that!!!!!.

Every guest at Ocotal had the same feeling and were all complaining about these pblms & more over the "free"breakfast. Many took pictures and are will be posting them upon their return to the States This is why they were discounting the rooms on line folks!!!! For the same price during the off/rainy season you can stay on Playa Hermosa- an a 4 star facility, with a great breakfast, clean rooms,staff, hang out on a beautiful tropical beach and charter tours or boats for about 1/3 of the price at Ocotal $250 for 5 hours not $800. for 4 hours)--PLUS you wont have the cost of hiring a cab all the time. Enjoy your vacation. Pura Vida!
BTW Many of the restaurants in the area were great and cheap (by CR Standards) I will be posting these recommendations this weekend. They made up for the rotten hotel.

Room Tip: bungalows have great ocean/harbor views but you cant sit out and enjoy views because rattan furniture on private pool decks is all broken and should be repaired or removed
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family