“Owners please read”

Baia di Ulisse Wellness & SPA
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in San Leone
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This review is more for you owner than for the travellers who will see the very mixed reviews. A few changes and this place could get top ratings.

What's great:
- The place itself is beautiful, with the private beach and nice swimming pool area. The building is nothing special but well placed.
- Some (not all) people in the staff were super helpful. Special thanks to the gentleman at the reception.
- You do have a spa / gym and internet ... more on that below

What you NEED to change:
- The gym / spa. Why do you keep it closed during the week !? in the summer ! That doesn't make any sense. In the low season i can understand, but in the summer ? That needs to stay open. And the spa to be up and running (if not always open, at least allow people to book treatments during the week).
- The internet. I read in previous comments people had to pay for it. I'm glad it was free when we were there. BUT, having to get 1 ticket / device every 12 hours was ridiculous, wasting your time and frustrating clients. Take the password off and just let people use it. And i beg you, please buy a new router, with more power, it was SO slow !
- Breakfast was terrible. I'm not going to write too much on this, but honestly very cheap quality. This basically made us feel the restaurant quality was poor (which might not be true, but keep in mind this was our 1st and last impression of the food there).
- Rooms: 1) isolation: definitely needs some work there. Change the doors, do something, it's just too noisy in the morning as one can hear all the neighbours. 2) furnitures: now that the busy season is over, you can spend a bit in making the rooms enter the 21st century, change the furnitures, make it a bit modern, the 70s are long gone.
- Pool / beach: making people pay extra for those services is not a good idea at all. make people pay 5eur more on their room, but don't make it an extra.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank av_alexandre
There are newer reviews for Baia di Ulisse Wellness & SPA

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel looks very nice online - but don't be fooled.

The rooms are not sound proof - we have a family with two young babies crying all night next door
The air com switched off for two hours
The mini bar had only water and one beer
The bed had a lumpy mattress and I came away with bites
To use the beach or pool loungers you pay 5 euro suppliment per person
I had my bags searched by their manager as a no outside food or drink policy exists
The food was very standard - my son was ill the next day
The staff are very grumpy
The breakfast was ok but the juice was watered down and the hard boiled eggs were sulphuric - yuk!
The wifi does not work

When I checked out the manager threw my credit card at me

Now bare in mind that this is supposed to be a 4 star hotel - and quite an expensive one !

Don't do it !

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Warwick B
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Gorgeous hotel, interior was breathtaking (not a minimalist style that's for sure), food was great (5 stars for sure) although breakfast could use more of a variety (not much choice). Rooms, beach and pool were also great. Staff was very friendly and we didn't have to pay extra for the usage of the pool although you had to buy a swimming cap if you didn't have it with you. You could use your own towels. Wi-fi was also free, worked fine. All in all one of the best hotels i've stayed in, great vacation :)!

P.s.: Don't get your hopes up about postcards (none of the 9 we sent to Slovenia (it borders Italy) ever arrived :))

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EvaKarpes
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a really short stay at this hotel, only a night, but after a half day drive in the car it was surprisingly nice to arrive at a hotel that had it all and only for its guests. Private parking area, private beach and large green spaces and garden all around the hotel down to the beach. It was up on the hill and had a great view to the coast, the room was descent but the pool area was beautiful and there was the Moreti beer to cool us off. The wellness and spa was beautiful where i paid a visit but did not have the time for a treatment though there are plenty of variations offered on the spa menu. The lounges and sun bed areas around the swimming pool were so comfortable and spacious. The only bad thing was that the water was not so clean or maybe CLEAR as we expected. Reception was helpful and guided us to another great restaurant in San Leone. Just a not: if you have your high heels do not start on foot. As they explained we thought that it was nearby but the truth was that without a car most people would need a taxi to get downtown which is about 25min walk at least. We did it by walking with a splendid stop at the beach bar "Oceanomare" exactly at sunset time for a nice mojito and a live DJ :) what a surprise. We stopped by also on the way back to the hotel and had some body shaking/dancing/:) San Leone is for sure a better deal than Agrigento center so if you are headed towards the Velle dei Templi it is a much better choice, but you should have a car and that is for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed a couple of days in agrigento and this hotel was really great! I enjoyed quiet and relax in a comfortable atmosphere. It's true,the hotel is not within walking distance from the town or the Greek temples, but I knew it was like that and it really was near the sea,actually on the beach! So,I don't agree with the review complaining about rules and other bad 'surprises'. When I went to the pool,the staff gave me the towel but no money was asked for that. They simply told me there was a deposit but just in case of losing the towel. Thank God,no one could play with the balls and I could lay in the sun without worrying at all..I also enjoyed some drinks.The boy in the pool bar was very nice and excused himself when I had to wait for a few minutes. IIt's true that the pool closes at1.00 p.m. but that's the way it is here with workers! They have working hours! .I had wi-fi free of charge, although sometimes it didn't work. Everybody was kind and all I've seen is what usually you would expect in a 4 star hotel .I think it's a very nice place, where you can find comforts, kindness, good food and a fantastic view!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent 2 nights in Agrigento and stayed at this hotel. It reminded us of Faulty Towers. We asked for a gin and tonic - but they had run out of tonic. We asked about the gym, but they told us it was closed, only open on the weekend? We asked about the wellness centre - but that is closed - only open on the weekend. I tried to walk from the hotel to the beach - but it was locked up...probably because it was not the weekend. Overall we were very dissapointed with this hotel.
Oh yes they said they had WIFI - but it was non existent around the whole hotel.

Room Tip: Its okay - but you need to catch a cab if you want to go into town for dinner. It is not a good loc...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tracy S
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Felt compelled to write my first ever review; (family m50, w43, son16 & friend16)

On the positive side it is very clean and mmmmm.... Nope can't think of anything else
This is the strangest hotel I have ever stayed in. When you first arrive in reception, your first impression will be, this looks like a very comfortable place to spend a few days, but beware. As soon as you check in, the rules and extras start to hit you.

No drinking or eating in the room unless purchased from the 'hotel', which of course we immediately ignored. The mini bar contains only water. Pool costs €5 per person Per day. Towels €25 deposit each + €3 each.
If wifi is not included in your package it is €3 for 12hours. It is supposed to be in the rooms, but 90% of the time it doesn't work. When it does work it is incredibly slow. It is an acceptable speed in the bar area

The rooms have no sound insulation whatsoever and there is an electric gate to get in and out of the property. People blast the horn their cars when they want to get in and out. Pets are allowed in the hotel, so we could hear constant barking.

The location isn't perfect, but as long as you have a car it's okay. Defininetely NOT within walking distance of bars and restaurants. So if you like to have a couple of glasses of wine with your meal, you will need to take a taxi

We thankfully were on a bed and breakfast basis only. Breakfast was extremely basic for a 4* hotel. Nothing cooked at all. We did not have any other food in the hotel, but compared to the restaurants we visited in the area, the menu was limited to say the least. I can not comment on the quality, but I am writing this while sat on the very nice roof terrace and the smells coming from the kitchen aren't making my mouth water

Pool bar area;
I am not an alcoholic, but I like to have a couple of drinks by the pool during the day. There is a bar, but it is not manned, so you have to go to reception and ask for a barman, who might turn up after about 10 minutes. He will serve me then bu..er off again, remember this high season! So if you want another drink, you have to go through the whole ritual again. In the end you can't be bothered
Pool;
No playing with balls in the pool
No diving, jumping in the pool, even though at 3.5metres, it is one of the deepest pools I have ever swum in.
The pool attendant spends his whole time mopping up. When you get out of the pool he will come behind you with his mop or his powered mopping machine. You are not allowed to move the loungers, people were trying to move theirs to face the sun and were told that this was not allowed
INCREDIBLY, the pool closes at 1pm and doesn't open again until 3pm, this is so the pool attendant can have a siesta! So all the kids playing in the pool, having fun (without doing any of the don'ts of course) are asked to get out for two hours. I think the pool is for advertising the hotel, I don't think they actually want you to use it
Reception are totally unhelpful, apart from the night porter, who spoke very good English and seemed the happiest of the staff
Some of the bar staff We're very accommodating and others couldnt have been more miserable

The rooms have no sound insulation

Room Tip: Pool views are probably best, as the pool area is like a morgue, due to all the rules and regulation...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Antica Perla Residence Hotel
Hotel Village Suvaki
Hotel Village Suvaki
#1 of 17 in Pantelleria

Been to Baia di Ulisse Wellness & SPA? Share your experiences!