All reviews porridge great hosts other guests hearty breakfast easy access great location secure bike storage washing machine we've stayed luz ardiden a great stay honesty bar tour de france fuel tools hautacam cycling
Reviewed June 7, 2018

Just got back yesterday after 5 days there and Mark and Niammh are better than fantastic !!!!! the house is great nice and big, great rooms that have wonderful views,comfy beds , plenty hot water, free wifi etc etc you could not want anything more , We were a group of 10 and nothing was a problem, we have stayed in the Alps quite a few times also my wife and I in Tenerife but this place beats them hands down, i have been in a bad mood ever since getting back to my wifes burnt offerings after Mark and Niamhs outstanding cooking. The village is beautiful and location for riding is better than Borg d Oisan in my opinion as the Pyrenees are quiet and smooth compared to the Alps. I dont need to wish them good luck with the business because doing what they are doing they are going to be super busy making cyclists very happy. I will be back !!

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank mayerd27
PyreneesCyclingLodge, Owner at Hautes Pyrenees Cycling Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2018

Thanks for the lovely review and very positive feedback! It was an absolute pleasure to host your group - a great bunch of cyclists! So glad to hear that you'd love to come back and stay with us again, the area is a mecca for cycling. Hope you're not in too much trouble with your wife for mentioning the burnt offerings..;o)) cheers Niamh & Mark

Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

Would highly recommend to others! Great location for some amazing cycling, famous Tour De France cols on the doorstep. Mark and Niamh really lovely, friendly and welcoming. Food was excellent every evening!

1  Thank Sarah D
PyreneesCyclingLodge, Owner at Hautes Pyrenees Cycling Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2018

Thanks for the review Sarah, it was a pleasure to host your group at the lodge. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and the area - you guys certainly packed a lot of Cols in in the few days that you were here. Hope to see you again sometime. Thanks again Niamh and Mark!

Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

I stayed 4 nights at the lodge with friends on a cycling trip. The new owners Mark and Niamh have clearly updated this property and have put a lot of thought into the renovations. The result is a beautiful property in an amazing location. The food was great - amazing porridge and fresh crossiants for breakfast and a hearty and delicious meal in the evenings. The owners went out of their way to be accommodating - they even helped organised a cake for my friends birthday!

Thanks for a great stay - will be recommending this lodge to all.

1  Thank Bex S
PyreneesCyclingLodge, Owner at Hautes Pyrenees Cycling Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2018

Hi Bex, thanks so much for the very positive feedback. It was a pleasure to host you and your friends at the lodge and to celebrate Sarah's 30th! And thanks for commenting on the renovations we've done. We're working hard to make the lodge a great space to be in when you're not on the bike! Look forward to welcoming you again sometime. Niamh & Mark.

Reviewed May 6, 2018 via mobile

Excellent location for cycling all the Cols. The new owners Mark and Niamh were very welcoming. The food was exceptional. Breakfast set us up for each days cycling of 60 miles plus. Evening meals were healthy and wholesome very filling after a hard day cycling.

Secure spacious bike storage facilities with room to clean the bike. Washing machine and warm indoor area with long clothes line to dry cycling clothes.

The village is very picturesque and within easy reach of all major climbs.

Dining and social areas gives a good place to chat with others in an evening.

Rooms were a good standard, clean, good water pressure on the shower.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
PyreneesCyclingLodge, Owner at Hautes Pyrenees Cycling Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2018

Thanks for the very positive feedback Andy. It was a pleasure having you guys here and thanks for making our first experience as hosts at the lodge so enjoyable! Look forward to seeing you again at sometime.

Reviewed May 24, 2017

I have seriously considered not posting a review, considering that any review posted is directly affecting this family's income, however I do feel the need to describe a bit more what this cycling lodge is like, so as to set the right expectations for other travelers. I use TripAdvisor for all my future holiday plans and base my bookings on the opinions that are left by other travelers, hence the reason I do feel it is important to stretch positives and negatives (or suggestions) for this particular accommodation. I do have to say I am surprised there are not more reviews, considering the amount of people that pass through the Pyrenees Cycling Lodge.

Positives:
- Olive is very welcoming
- Both breakfast and diner is included in the price. Food is good and I appreciated that Olive took into account my dietary restrictions because of health problems.
- Large parking just in front of the accommodation
- Located in quiet village
- Located between Col d'Aubisque and Tourmalet and Hautacam is closeby as well, short drive by car from Lourdes
- Nice views from room
- Clean
- Breakfast and diner with other cyclists from different nationalities, which is a fun way to share experiences.
- Breakfast with fresh croissants and pains au chocolat (although last day the croissants seemed to be left overs from the day before that were warmed up).

Negatives /suggestions:
- Village doesn't have shop or bakery, which means you need to go down to the next village (Argelès Gazost), which is about 2,5km away down hill. Argelès has bakeries, a few restaurants and a small Carrefour.
- Car needed to get around
- The finishing of the accommodation was a bit poor, garden not maintained, linoleum in bathroom, laminate room not finished properly... I know that this type of rooms tends to be very standard in both the Pyrenees and the Alps, but I do believe that a bit more effort could be made to change it from just so-so, to something memorable
- The pillows were horrible, I believe they are washed regularly, which means that the inside is completely destroyed and you are sleeping on lumps.
- No information available on road works or possible rides with directions on where they start. I know internet is available, but it is not always straight forward, maybe take this into consideration as a suggestion? We only found out that the way to Saint Sauveur was blocked because another cyclist told us.
- bathroom was very tiny without fan or window, couldn't enter both of us, although might depend on room.
- no curtains in front of window, and we didn't dare to close the shutters since there was a climber covering the wall and part of the shutter. Meant that we would wake up because of the sun at 6.30am.
- fixed time for breakfast (8am) and diner (6.30pm),

I think you need to be aware that this property has 2 dogs. They are not allowed upstairs and are closed out during breakfast and diner, but otherwise they roam through the ground floor of the house although I can imagine they wouldn't be allowed in the kitchen.

I honestly found it such a shame that no more attention was being paid to the maintenance of the property itself, it would make such a huge difference (in my eyes). The house itself is beautiful as are the surroundings, it could just do with a little bit more care to make this truly exceptional besides the food and the company.

Date of stay: May 2017