“Perfection”
Review of Auberge du Paradis

and 1 more site!
Auberge du Paradis
Reviewed November 19, 2011

The only thing I regret about my stay at Auberge du Paradis (AdP) is that it wasn't longer. I stayed there in March on my honeymoon. My husband and I spent a full week in Paris, followed by 2 days/3 nights in Saint-Amour-Bellevue at AdP, and then 3 days in London. I wish that we would have spent 5 days in Paris and 5 at AdP.

I was charmed from the moment I stepped foot into the hotel. It looks exactly like the pictures on the website. Actually, no, it looks better. At every corner there is another eclectic design choice -- from antique sewing tables as cafe tables to giant wine cork stools. We stayed in the Ginger Room, which was fresh, spacious, and relaxing. I loved it so much that a picture of the room is actually the screen saver on my computer!

The food was as impressive as the decor. We dined at high-end, celebrity chef restaurants in Paris (and do so all of the time in NYC), but none of our meals even compared to Cyril's (the chef/owner) tasting menu at AdP! It was the best meal of my life. There was even a Michelin judge sitting at the table next to us during our dinner adding to the excitement! The breakfast was our best one in France as well (pastries, breads, eggs shaped like hearts, lemon curd, cured meats, etc.).

I did a LOT of research prior to our honeymoon. We wanted to spend time in a wine region and were planning on going to Bordeaux. As soon as I came across AdP online, that plan changed and we were headed to the Burgundy region! The location of the hotel was very convenient -- only about 15 minutes from Macon (a larger town with a train station) and an easy, beautiful ride to Beaune and Dijon. There are lots of other great restaurants in the area ( We dined at Le Cep, Chez Pierre, and Jean-Pierre (which is right across the street from AdP)).

If I could give Auberge du Paradis and Excellent+ rating, I would. I can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Marie C
There are newer reviews for Auberge du Paradis

Reviewed October 21, 2011

My wife & I stayed for 3 nights at this wonderful little hotel during our tour of France, the hosts Cyril & Valerie make you very welcome.
The food at breakfast and the degustation dinner was magic all with a little spice which is theeir signature.The Fusion food in the degustation meal was the best we have had in Europe.
Can recommend for a weekend away or romantic evening,
Brian

Room Tip: We stayed in Ginger, but all rooms looked spacious and well appointed.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brian M
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We were delighted to have chanced upon this small, first-rate hotel for a two night stay.
We reserved the Gingembre and Nigelle rooms for ourselves and my parents. We couldn't have been more thrilled with the stylish, elegant surroundings. Both rooms were stunning.
The restaurant was superb for an evening meal. The seven course menu was accomplished and most enjoyable. Service: friendly yet professional.
The hotel is in the prettiest of villages (about an hour from Lyon) and surrounded by vineyards and small winemakers. We had a very enjoyable afternoon strolling to sample just a few of the delicious local wines!
This is a unique and fantastic hotel, offering excellent value for money. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank JFF79
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We passed three nights in the Beaujolais and can only recommend the Auberge du Paradis in every aspect. It's rare that I stay in 3* hotels, but given all the positive comments and the fact that many burgundy hotels have this dusty Cointryhoise style I chose this one.
Warm and helpful welcome - proactiveoffering of their private garage (travelled with an Oldtimer), very freidlz staff. then the room, loftstyle , trust the pictures on their webside). Breakfast with a choice of nice breads, phamyastic cheese and charcuterie, 4 different hemade jams , fresh fruitsalad and juices. He have unfortunately missed the menu (closed mo & tu) but heard good things.
Very recommendable - excellent price value ratio.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Nestled among the vineyards around Macon, this hotel really deserves it's name. The decoration is done with exquisite taste, We slept in the room 'Muscade' and it was wonderful. It had all the comfort of a 4-star hotel, an excellent bed and shower, two basins and a separate washroom. In the morning, we had an amazing breakfast with fresh topical fruits, home-made jams, home-made muffins, home-made apricot compote and more. The owners are adorable people. they even lent us their personal bikes to tour the surrounding hills. We didn't eat at the hotel because their kitchen is closed on Monday nights but they recommended us a nice place in Macon, only 15 minutes away. Definitely a place to go back to!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for a special celebration and it couldn't have been more perfect!

The hotel was absolutely wonderful with very friendly, helpful owners who went out of their way to make it special during our stay. We stayed in 'Sesame' which was separated from the rest of the bedrooms, with it's own staircase leading from the lounge area. It felt very private and very romantic overlooking the pool area at the back of the hotel. The room was very spacious, yet felt cosy and the bathroom was incredible, with its freestanding bathtub and walk in shower.

Dinner in the restaurant was truly wonderful and well worth the cost. You do need to ensure that you allow all evening for the meal as it certainly does take all evening to get through the many courses! Also there are no alternatives, however my partner and I were happy to try anything and it was one of the best evenings we have had in a very relaxed and romantic environment.

Whilst staying here we quickly realised that our basic french was indeed very basic, however the owners went out of their way to explain everything to us in English as best as they could and we appreciated this as we were in France afterall!

Breakfast was really amazing - very French and it was a delight to go to breakfast in the mornings when you know it is so wonderful. We sat outside which was lovely and the homemade delights presented to us were fantastic.

Would highly recommend this hotel, the location is lovely, with vineyards local and the owners are really lovely. Every little detail is thought out, including bathrobes, towels for the pool/hot tub and flipflops - again ensuring that the stay was relaxed and everything done at your lesiure.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have stayed at the Auberge du Paradis before and have spent the past year planning a return trip. This time was even better as the sun was shining and we were able to eat breakfast outside. To sum up: the rooms are spacious and stylish, the bedlinen of the highest quality; baths are huge, showers powerful; service is impeccable at all times; the food is outstanding; it's good value for money; it's ideally situated. If I was getting married again I'd want to stay there on my wedding night. Bravo to the lovely owners, Valerie and Cyril.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bitternwatcher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Amour-Bellevue
Le Moulin de Saint Verand
#2 of 3 in Charnay-les-Macon
Chateau de Pizay
Chateau de Pizay
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jean-d'Ardieres

Been to Auberge du Paradis? Share your experiences!