“Island Tour stop.”

Restaurante El Carmen
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 19, 2019

I suppose that our tour guide got something out of getting all 27 members of his coach party to eat here. Initial impressions were promising, after all the modern beach bars we had been to this looked much more like traditional Spain. We went for the three course lunch for 14euros, and chose the grilled salt cod as our main choice. Mistake. The salt crust was a quarter inch thick, making it impossible to taste the fish itself, whilst the Canarian potatoes were nearly cold. The one good thing was that Peter, our guide, (who was amazing), took a really good photo of myself and my wife at table for our memory album. Would not hurry back to this one!!

Date of visit: May 2019

Reviewed April 16, 2019

Had the worse meal ever on a holiday. Fish was overcooked and the pudding awful.
Went there as was recommended by the guide. Waiter was most unhelpful with the look of distain on his face as I explained I cannot eat food with onions or garlic. Never again.

Date of visit: April 2019
Jorge G, Gerente at Restaurante El Carmen, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2019

The first thing I have to say to you is that if you did not like the fish, you would have communicated it to us, on the other hand, in the menu or on the menu itself, the food allergens are marked, if from a The first moment we show him, I would have been pleased, because our staff is trained and trained to save those vicissitudes, if as a manief attends to eat with a guide, and as you say that the waiter put bad faces, because the most loguico is that I told him to his guide, and at all times, we would have satisfied him with his requests, but I repeat if you could not tell what your intolerance to certain medications is, we can never be fortune-tellers.

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

We went here on the advice of a tour guide. For 14 euros you got a 3 course meal. We chose chicken soup starter which was noodle soup with little chicken but was ok. Plates were whisked away the second we were finished and replaced instantly with our chicken main. This was inedible. The "chicken" leg disintegrated including the bone so a huge choking risk. Plates again whisked away almost full, with the offer of coffee or dessert. We chose ice cream which was a babies sized tub. Waiters were rude and just wanted you done and out quickly. Toilets also leave a lot to be desired. Awful place and shockingly bad value for money.

Reviewed March 28, 2019

Took a 4 stop excursion tour via the hotel desk whilst in Tenerife. As part of this we visited Icod and the tour party were recommended this restaurant.
I must admit I wouldn't expect too much from a small restaurant, especially when a group of 30 descend at one time, but the food, value and service was surprisingly good.
The nice thing about this restaurant is the building, it really feels like a proper old world spainish bistro. The staff were efficient, most of the party ordered off of the set lunchtime menu and we were all in one room.
The food was 14 euros each, we had starter, main and dessert. The dessert was delicous.
I would recommend to anyone how is passing through Icod.

Reviewed March 25, 2019

We were advised to try this restaurant by our Guide as we would get a good price 14 euro as much wine as you wanted so we thought we would try it. We ordered chicken soup for starter and it came as chicken noodle soup which was quite nice and hot, thankfully I like noodles. I had finished my soup and roll but my friend had not and the waiter brought our main meal out which for me was canerian potatoes and pork chop with salad the same for my friend however with chips instead of potatoes. We ordered two coffee's whilst we waited. The meal was luke warm so we asked the waiter for hot food, my friends chips were hot but the rest was not and mine was no difference we were then offered ice cream. Weasked if we could have another coffee and was told we had to pay extra......why when we could have had as much wine as we wanted. In total I would deffinately not recommend this place to anyone, out plates went back as full as they came out I was disgusted