All reviews kisimul castle bar next door castlebay bar overlooking the bay dining room ferry terminal live music evening meal superior room hotel restaurant outer hebrides lasagna scallops wonderful view comfortable rooms fish and chips beach landing
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The hotel is easy to find - you can see it easily from the ferry coming from Oban.

Park at the side by the bar entrance which will avoid a lot of steps from the road if you have a case with wheels on.

I had single room which was bright and clean - although the bed was a bit too springy for me as I prefer a firm mattress. The shower room was clean - a reasonable size and well maintained. Nice toiletries were a bonus.

My room looked out the back which was a grassy bank - home to passing sheep - and was quiet and private.

The staff were busy but then I had arrived just as the popular restaurant had started serving dinner. Despite this I didn't have to wait long to get my room.

There is not a lot open in the evening on he Island of Barra - even in its biggest settlement - Castlebay. The hotel restaurant was popular and there were plenty of locals there too.

The whisky selection was good and I settled down to a starter of huge local langoustines followed by freshly caught hake. The portions were good and all very well cooked.

Breakfast offered a buffet of cereals fruit and yoghurt. Porridge is made fresh to order and was excellent. I had the Scottish breakfast which included potato pancakes and black pudding.

This hotel should have at least 3 stars!

Room tip: I had a single room but there are some lovely doubles with sea views
Reviewed September 9, 2019

Despite booking before Christmas 2018 our room was inadequately prepared. The bathroom sink would not release water and the bathroom light was not working. We arrived on the last ferry and welcomed the room change and comfortable bed. The restaurant is good value and staff friendly & helpful. There are several steps from the car park to the top floor rooms & no porterage.The prices are high - probably reflecting the location and season but certainly not the quality of the room decor.

Room tip: Either end of the top floor are best value
Reviewed September 5, 2019

Traditional hotel convenient for the ferry and other services close by. Our room was fine with plenty of space overlooking the harbour. We didn't have dinner as I'm a fan of the Kismuil nearby. Breakfast was very good with numerous choices.

Room tip: Front of hotel for sea views.
Date of stay: August 2019
Reviewed September 2, 2019

My partner, her brother, his wife and myself have just returned to our B&B after a dreadful evening meal at this hotel. I had booked a table for four people months in advance and when we arrived we were just ushered to a table set for six and told they weren’t coming!! After a few minutes looking at menus we were told we had to move but that they had to set a table for four for us (we had booked many weeks in advance!!). We waited about 10 - 15 minutes for someone to come and take our order. About 10 minutes later our two bottles of wine - one red one white arrived - both in ice buckets!! A bruschetta starter and a goats cheese and walnuts starter arrived. The bruschetta has no olive oil and a tiny amount of tomato on a couple of pieces of thick and very dry bread! The walnuts were burned beyond recognition as was the cheese and the plate had to be sent back. For the bruschetta they brought two ramekins - one of oil and one of balsamic - no tomatoes! My replacement cheese starter arrived but was not really any better! The mains arrived - we’d all ordered steak and ale pie. Tiny portion of chips, uncooked green beans and mange tout! The pie was nice. The waiting staff all seemed very young and inexperienced and offered nothing in compensation! The tablecloth was plastic and we sat at a table by the door to the kitchen near the hatch leading to the ghetto blaster! Nearby (within a few feet) were cleaning materials and a bin (see photos). We did not even think about desserts but asked for our bill. When it came the waiter said the starters had been removed. To my mind this was not adequate compensation for what was meant to be a celebration meal for my brother in law’s (and his wife’s) 30th wedding anniversary. I stayed in this hotel 22 years ago and ate in the restaurant. It was fantastic but I will NEVER return to this establishment and expect to hear from the management as soon as they are back in the hotel. They had a wedding party in for several days and I am sure the normal kitchen staff were not there!
Also, when we arrived at the restaurant we were told there were no langoustines or scallops - both seafood that we were expressly hoping to eat. Also because of this the fish pie was off the menu!!
My advice is this - GO TO THE KISIMUL CAFE JUST DOWN THE ROAD - it’s FABULOUS - see my separate review!!!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2019 via mobile

Visited Castlebay Bar 3 nights on the trot.
Very friendly staff and great entertainment.
Highly recommend stopping for a pint.
Thanks for looking after us.
Locals also very friendly. Sunday night we had live music, with an accordion and fiddle.
Stunning