“sublime seafood in a nice local pub”

Restaurant at the Heathbank Hotel
Cuisines: Seafood, Scottish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Our family went twice during our week visit and food was excellent on both occasions. The seafood for me is part of the reason I love to holiday in Barra. The surroundings are bright and tidy and the service prompt and friendly. Portion sizes good and prices standard for decent pub food but the quality of the ingredients particularly seafood make it good value for money. My husband and father went in several times during the holiday for a drink and the staff began to remember what they liked which was a nice touch. The staff appeared to be young local people which is good as you feel that it helps employment and support local economy.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went here for dinner on the first night of our holiday and it was a great start.
The food was amazing, I had the chicken with black pudding and it was seriously yumtastic!
Atmosphere was great, pub was pretty busy.
Service with a smile.
What more can you ask for.
Fab wee place. :-)

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Food is excellent and has bottles of real ale to accompany. Atmosphere was quite, verging on flat, though.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our first evening meal was so good that we returned for our last on Barra. The menu has some pub standards but what really stand out (and what we ate) are the seafood dishes which mainly use local produce. The scampi is from the island's fish processor, and while any idiot can bung scampi and chips in a deep fryer the difference here is the excellent quality of the produce. The scallops are king sized, the largest I've ever eaten, and are gathered practically within sight of the hotel.

Portions are generous without being stupidly big, e.g. a main course would suffice as a meal but the starters are so tempting that it's difficult to avoid overeating: my wife is Scottish and a huge fan of steak pie (that's proper Scottish steak pie, not the pale imitation available south of the Border). It was a special on the first night we visited, and although she's got a good appetite she couldn't finish her portion. Although I was pleasantly full of scampi I managed to taste the pie: it was advertised as being rump steak which I could well believe.

Our fellow guests at Northbay House B&B, about half a mile's walk away, ate there a couple of times and were equally impressed by the quality of the food and the size of the portions. If Northbay House wasn't so good I'd be very tempted to stay at the Heathbank just based on the quality of the cooking. Mustn't forget the service: very friendly and helpful young locals seemed to be on the ball and the kitchen got the meals out at a good pace, so all the diners appeared to be enjoying their visits.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

6 of us popped in for lunch and had a great plate of scampi, chips and salad. Service was good and the chef even came out to talk to us and asked us if everything was OK. Spotlessly clean and well furnished. Book though for evening meals, we got caught out and had to find somewhere else to eat. Probably the best food on the Island at the moment.