“Best Indian meal I've ever had.”
Review of Cafe Kisimul

Cafe Kisimul
Cuisines: Indian, Italian
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best Indian meal I've ever had.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We popped in here for some breakfast rolls at the start of our trip to Barra and decided to end our trio with an evening meal here.
So tonight we returned. We phoned in the am to check they'd be open for dinner as we were slightly out of season. We were advised that they'd be doing 2 sittings. 6 & 7:30. We reserved a table although not required but we needed a highchair.
We arrived & were shown to our table by the owner Pauline who was lovely. She was happy to talk to our daughter and tell us about her newborn granddaughter.
The menu is mainly a mix of Indian & Italian dishes with a local twist. We opted to share a plate of scallop pakora between the 3 of us as it was the dish we'd seen on the menu originally & were dying to try. I ordered the chicken jaipuri (lamb version available but as we were there during lambing season I couldnt bear to eat lamb) & my husband & daughter shared the smoked salmon spaghetti. They both arrived piping hot & huge portions. My daughter & I got stuck in but unfortunately my husband was struck down with a migraine during the meal & was unable to eat. The staff were only too willing to offer him help & boxed up his meal to take away.
My curry was by far the best I've ever tasted. Right amount of spice without being too much & no chemical after taste I often find in Indian restaurants.
The cafe itself is quite cosy & adorned with excellent paintings which I think were done by the owner which I didn't realise on our first visit. If I had some spare cash I would be tempted to ask if any were for sale.

Manchester
“Expensive. Over rated.”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We visited the restaurant both for a coffee which was a ridiculous price and an evening meal. We had the misfortune of being served by the owner who although not rude could certainly learn from his younger staff a lot about customer service. The food was average and overly priced. Wouldn't go again.

2 Thank Liz-Al01
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom
“Curry night in the Hebrides”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I tried the scallop starter which was great and very tasty. Main dish Lamb bhuna which was a big portion...and only needed a chapati and rice just about finished it....yum. The lamb was very tender with no fatty pieces excellent. The sauce was tasty....but just sauce. I prefer chunky vegetables peppers and onions for example. The staff are great and waitress very nice. It is expensive but in view of the location worth a visit for a treat.

• Visited November 2012
Ohio
“Potential hidden gem”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This cafe is located in "downtown" Castlebay. It is small, but has great views of the bay and castle.

When I visited in late October, the owners were away. Their young adult children were running the cafe. They were delightful!

The restaurant specializes in putting an Indian twist on local produce. The flavors were unusual, as if the chef is experimenting with various combinations. Everything was tasty, although not always quite perfect. However, I thought there was great promise, that this restaurant has the potential of becoming a hidden gem in Scotland. If I return to Barra, I look forward to going to this restaurant again to see how things have developed.

By the way, I noticed while there that take-out orders are available.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank EFFor
Cessnock, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

This cafe has excellent food, friendly staff and a great view of the castle, we would highly recommend it.