“Perfect for destressing.”

Tenuta San Vito
London
“Perfect for destressing.”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

A 'green' winery, one of the first in Italy. Their Colle delle Mandorle, Tuscan Red was excellent.
Very clean rooms.
Just a bit far to the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, which is fine if the weather is good.
Great friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2011

When I think of Italy, I think of visiting the Tuscan Region, so when my husband and I decided to do a trip, I had to find a vineyard to stay on. We met a gentleman from Italy doing a wine tasting NYC were we live. We got to talking and he recommended we look into Tenuta San Vito Vineyards about 15 miles outside of Florence. I first looked up on Trip Advisor, found a handful of great reviews, and the found the website. It was exactly what I was looking for. I reached out to the facility and they responded right away in a friendly manor. There rates were very resonable, but they did require a min 3 night stay. I worked with Sara, and she gave me our options as to rates and apartment we would be staying in. We were given La Rosa, right next to the pool and restuarant.
When we arrived in Montelupo from Pisa we called the owner Neri who came and got us from the train station. He then suggested we get supplies so we stopped at a small supply store and picked milk, yogurt, cold cuts, bread and water.
He brought us to the estate and I was blown away, speachless and just couldn't get over how beautiful and peaceful everything seemed to be. We got to our apartment that had a kitchen area, bedroom, and bathroom...perfect for 2 people maybe for a for person family. The bedroom had a great view of the vineyard. It was nice to wake up to the view, the sun shining and the bird chirping. It was quite hot while we were there, so we didn't do much hiking or biking like we wanted, but we did explore the land a bit. We took advantage of the pool, and the restaurant every night. The restaurant isn't a busy place, but has a unique and fresh handwritten menu that changes every night.
Also, Neri gave us mini wine tour of how they make the wine and how to taste and enjoy properly. You can buy wines and oil and have them shipped to your home; which was great! He also helped us get transportation to and from the train station when we wanted to go into Florence (2 train stops), and when we needed to get a train to Milan. Which you have to take the train into Florence and then hop a train to Milan (about 1hr 1/2 ride). This was one of the most memorable places we stayed and went to in Italy. I promise we will return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jojorose81
Bergamo, Italy
Reviewed August 26, 2009

the price was right for this appartment. We had Lilla which sleeps 6. It had a nice kitchen and big bedroom. Small TV and extra small and need of work bathroom. If it wasn't for the bathroom, everything else as very good quality for the price. No chest of drawers in the bedroom or anywhere for that matter. Very rustic ambiance with a wably pic-nic table outside, lots of gree and a few steps from a fantastic pool overlooking Tuscan hills. Too bad only one bottle of wine was complementary but no olive oil! Breakfast was very boring (same thing everyday) but the setting was amazing. Payment was requested in advance (I refused) but the came to request it the day before our departure and that was fine. Very peaceful and nothing but relax. Very difficult location to reach especially if you suffer from carsickness so stop over at a grocery store Iper Coop in the nearest town for any emergency supplies (swim goggles, any food or drink). Close to Florence and not too far from San Gimignano. About an hour from major sights. But once you reach this little gem, it's hard to feel like travelling too much just to enjoy the nature. Definitely not the Hilton but overall good quality price ratio, especially for Tuscany which is generally over-rated.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank marecompania
Soest, Netherlands
Reviewed September 4, 2007

In the beautiful Tuscan hills, just 15 kms outside of Firenze lies this great estate, where the owners are proud producers of organic wine and olive oil.

Beside the "cantina" (=the factory/winery) there are 4 farms that have been changed into appartment buildings. The accommodations are typical Tuscan, usually consisting of a kitchen/living room, bathroom and bedroom(s). The ground floor appartments have terraces with seats and tables.

There is a small restaurant with a simple but very elegant menu, supplemented by daily suggestions from the chef. Once a week there is a cooking class, including lunch to eat the dishes cooked in class. The 130 ha estate also offers hiking paths with signs to guide you across the vineyards, olive groves and the woods.

The produce from the estate is on sale in the shop.

We enjoyed the Tuscan climate sitting poolside, looking across the lovely country side. The pool is well maintained and clean, and is shared with the occupants of the appartments.

The staff is very helpful and friendly. They arranged a reservation for the famous Galeria degli Uffizi museum in Firenze very efficiently, and are more than willing to assist with other queries.

• Liked — Landscape, originality, staff friendliness,
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank tge_7
Málaga
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We have been in San Vitto during 6 nights in July 07.
This is a very big "country house" with a lot of hectares of vineyards and olives.
There is a main building where you can find the reception, restaurant for breakfasts and dinners, some of the rooms offered and the swimming pool. And around the fields, there are several houses/farmhouses/villages where guests will be allocated.
We had the "Vinilo Cavalli" house, and it's been just perfect, with its own garden, just 2 minutes from the main building, but quiet and really charming and romantic!
You can also make activities as Cooking Courses (very funny!!), walking routes around the country house, etc. It's close to Montelupo, that is a nice village, the people in Tuscany are very nice, the gastronomy is very good, the best pizzas and pastas in the world. And you also are really near to Firenzze, Siena, Pisa... (you can go by train), so all these make San Vito in Fior di Selva a perfect place with perfect location!!
(Remember this is really country, and you will find insects, etc. as normal in this kind of places... )

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank arrobita
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 16, 2007

We spent two weeks at San Vito in April 2006--I'm only writing the review now because I didn't know TripAdvisor existed until I started trying to book another vacation and found it so helpful that I want to contribute something!!

Anyway. Our two weeks in Tuscany were absolutely brilliant. The weather was mediocre--some days rain, some days brilliant sunshine--but never so bad that we couldn't leave the house. The air is fresh and clear and the wind across the tops of the hills was gentle and soothing.

Details by category:

Arrival/Check-In: We arrived late at night and were ushered into our villa and set for the night within fifteen minutes. We entered our villa to discover a bottle of spumante (complimentary!) and a card with relevant informational details.

Accomodations: I will start by stating very clearly--this is not the Ritz, it is not the Four Seasons. It is a lovely, cozy, welcoming, clean setting that feels like you really and truly are living in Tuscany. We stayed in Villino I Cavalli which had two bedrooms at opposite ends of the house, a kitchen/living room in the middle. Each bedroom had it's own private bathroom with towels, sink, mirror, shower, toilet, and HEATED FLOOR TILES. The bathroom/bedroom suites had doors that closed off that section of the house for additional privacy. One bedroom had two twin beds and the other had a queen sized bed. Each bedroom had French Style doors that opened onto the patio in front of the house.

Our kitchen had dishes, cutlery, cookware, stove, oven, sink, table, couch, tv (didn't interest us, so we never bothered to try turning it on), and fireplace.

The service was wonderful. We got fresh towels when requested. The owners were kind and welcoming and patient (when I blew out the electricity in the villa at 9:30pm one night using my flat iron...oops...someone arrived within 15 minutes to solve the problem and the lights were back on!)

The view from our villa included mountains, cyprus trees, olive and grape vineyards, and miles of Tuscany. We had a kitten who started to visit us daily on our patio. He was quite friendly and was kind enough to leave his little companions up at the barn. There's lengthy paths and roads to walk and explore around the grounds of the farm, and for those who feel like a little more of a hands on exploration, scope out the bikes.

Food: The restaurant was closed for the whole time we were there (I guess technically it was the low season...I actually think we might have been the only family staying at the farm who didn't live there full time, so needless to say it was quite peaceful) so we either ate in Florence or a nearby town or stopped at the HyperCOOP (Italian grocery chain) or other small market for food on the way back from Florence each day. While I was a bit skeptical about shopping at a chain in Tuscany--I tend to prefer the smaller markets--it's worth going at least once. They are HUGE and while they have some similarities to American grocery stores, they also have a heavenly selection of things you will never find in the States. Cheeses, wines, salami, sausage, bread, fruit, pastry....And the food there is so fresh and you'll do so much walking. I ate my way through that city (and an entire large jar of Nutella) in two weeks and came home having lost 5 pounds.

In downtown Florence check out restaurants ZaZa (in Mercato Centrale--mind numbingly good steak with truffle sauce and really not all that expensive considering what you're eating and how much food you get) and Il Latini (a place loved by locals and tourists alike. It's a prix fixe deal with about five courses including pasta, antipasto, bread, oil, meats, cheeses, lamb/chicken/steak/pork, dessert, enough wine to satisfy all, shots of liquer...and the owner gave my mother a free bottle of wine just for "being beautiful". But make reservations and get there early. A crowd forms outside the door and they do some very creative math to get everyone in to the rowdy, communal tables. The food is amazing).

Transportation: All I can say--if you stay at San Vito rent a car!!! And be prepared to watch your life flash before your eyes because the Tuscans don't have any readily obvious traffic laws.

All in all this was one of the best vacations I have ever taken. I love to travel and feel like I am experiencing the location in as close a proximity to the way the locals experience it. San Vito filled this expectation in every possible way. I would go back in a heart beat.

Stayed April 2006
3 Thank Boston_ABbaby
boston
Reviewed July 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed at this tenuta at the end of June, 2006. We were very disappointed. The vineyard itself was nice, but it had a restaurant on the property that was next door to several of the accommodations for the guests of San Vito. During the three nights that we were there two of the nights had private parties booked at the restaurant. These were loud affairs that lasted well past 1 - 2 AM with the participants wandering around the property, using the pool, playing hide and seek with screaming children up on our patio - it was horrible. I choose this location because I thought it would be a great, quiet location just outside of Florence. However, it was ruined for us because of these private functions at the resatauant. I would caution anyone considering staying here but, if you do, ask for one of the buildings far from the restaurant.

• Stayed June 2006
#7 of 8 in Montelupo Fiorentino
Casa Montecuccoli
Casa Montecuccoli
#1 of 2 in Montelupo Fiorentino

Been to Tenuta San Vito? Share your experiences!