“Cycle from London to Paris”

City Residence Bry sur Marne
Reviewed July 6, 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I also saw the mixed reviews posted about this residence and I have to say that they provided very good value for the amount of money paid. I went with a friend of mine and we shared one room. It was clean and cozy with a small kitchen, a bed and a small bathroom. The size of the room doesn't really matter to me since we spent most of our time outside of it. The reception is not open at all hours of the day and we couldn't check in until 4pm (we arrived at 1) but the lady behind the counter was very helpful and even let us lock our bags in a room so we didn't have to lug them around with us. Despite the fact that It was a ways from the city, its really close to the RER which took us to the main places in less than 20 minutes.

As far as the room being cleaned every day and having to buy your own toilet paper goes that part is true, but for the money you're saving its certainly worth it. The only thing I would say is be frugal with your towels if you're staying there a while. Also, as a heads up if you want to have to continental breakfast you have to order it the night before.

overall, you get really good value. If you want daily maid service and a 24hour desk then cough up the extra money and get something somewhere else. however, as far as hostels go this one was pretty goood.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We saw mixed reviews for this hotel both very bad and very good so we booked hoping for a very good experience. We arrived 2 hours early so they would not talk to us or check us in and there was no nearby restaurant although we did find the train station and the grocery store. When we check in, it was a quick as possible in order to make it to Paris by train before some sights closed. When we returned, the front desk was no longer open. It is only open in the morning and then from 4-8pm. The unit was filthy. There were holes in the wall where a stairrail had been torn down, no extra toilet paper, no curtains for some windows, stains on the walls and on the carpets. There were dust bunnies under the bed, no appearance of vacuuming, spashes of food on the kitchen walls, dust on every baseboard and surface. There was much grease from previous cooking and dust stuck in the grease, alot of mold in the shower and no light in the hall. Second to the filth was the lack of security. We were given a code to access the lobby to get to the courtyard and a code in to our building. It turned out you could walk to the side of the lobby building right through to the courtyard and the lock to the door of our building was punched out so that was also not needed. Most of the units appeared to be rented to tenants fulltime with only unrented apartments being the "hotel". At midnight a fight broke out in another unit in our building. There was much yelling in a foreign language and bashing around. Of course there was no one at the front desk to call and then we discovered there was no telephone at all. We thought to call the police on our cell phones but there was no hotel information in the room about how to make calls. There were enough towels but not toilet paper, there were enough beds and the bedding appeared clean hoever we sneezed all night due to the dust. The apartment was large, spacious and well equipped having a kitchen but no soap to wash the dishes and with so much filth it was hard to trust the cleanliness of the dishes and I was suspicious of the possibility of bedbugs. If the front desck would have been open I would have insisted on them cleaning the room, a refund, or changing to a different room. To top it off, we met a cleaning lady in the hall the next morning who wanted us out at 10am although checkout was 11. I really wanted to watch her do her "job".

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tammycameron
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This place is really far out of the city (about a 40min taxi ride which can get expensive) but I would definitely go back. The staff were friendly and helped us book tours and plan iteneraries. Check-in was supposed to be at 4pm, but we arrived early (around 11am) and they allowed us to check-in at 12pm. The rooms were very big. However, the blankets did have a few sketchy stains and random hairs on them. The other problem was that daily amneties were not provided (shampoo, soap, and toilet paper were only given to us once at the beginning of the stay). We had to go out and buy our own toilet paper. The town and RER station (both called Bry-sur-Marne) are really close and offer everything you need in that area: grocery store, post office, church, bakery, etc. This place is close enough to the city to make it okay to stay there (takes about 20mins to get to the edge of the city centre). There was no elevator, so ask for a room on the ground floor. That way you won't have to drag your suitcases up 1 flight of stairs. Even with the problems, I would go back again, especially because the place was great for the price we paid.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Not a hotel. Very rude male receptionist. Dirty blanket and pillow covers full of stain. Kitchen tap doesn't work. Shower within the toilet with no partition. Horrible smell. Far from city. You need to buy your own toilet paper and clean your room yourself.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The location of these apartments is fabulous: 3 mins from the RER and just 20 mins into central Paris. Cost of travel card for the day is just 10Euros. It also has excellent underground parking so if your car is full of stuff, it is much safer than street parking. On a less positive note, the apartment we had was dirty. The sheets perfectly clean, but the blankets were really unsavoury with long black hairs of the previous guest, lots of stains, and you didn't want to touch them. The door fell off the first cupboard I touched in the kitchen and some cabinets already had doors off. One of the 'double beds' we had (a sofa bed) was broken on one side so it leant downhill. We decided that we wouldn't return, even though the location was so good for day tripping into Paris.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rosemary R
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I will start by letting you know the front desk is only open from 8-6. I called ahead to let them know I was arriving late.. the person I spoke to had very limited English and tried as best as she could to give me clear instructions but something was definitely lost in translation. She the gate code, the lobby code and then the third code I assumed would have been the code to my room... or the room number. WRONG it's the code to the safe deposit box where they had an envelope with my key and a welcome letter. I wouldn't have figured it out except I found a very nice guest who just so happened to be standing at the snack machines when I came in.

I walked into the apartment feeling like I had won the lottery after staying in a cramped tiny room the night before this felt like heaven.
It was an actual apartment with three rooms, a kitchen, sofa, flat tv..premier channels..

It was perfect.. it's a three minute walk from the Bry sur Marne station and in a quiet clean neighborhood. This was kind of stupid of me but the whole time I was there for a week I thought the door would lock itself after it shut, not until the last day did I realize that I actually had to lock it from the inside. Needless to say it's a very safe location even though I hardly saw people walking around.

The apartment was clean, and when I finally went to check in the next day after I arrived the front desk staff was very polite and very friendly. Since there are no phones in the apartments or alarms the lady at the front desk offered to come knock since I had to leave on time in order to catch a flight.

The apartment was very clean, there where plenty of towels, the bed was super comfortable it included a washer machine, and there's a dryer inside the main building, Over all it was a real bargain, I would have expected this place to be charging even four times more than what I paid, but I suppose since it's about a 20-30 minutes away from central Paris and it's not a full service locations they have to charge less.

I'm not sure if I would stay here again just because of distance to central Paris but other than that it's a great bargain.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Ehoss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bry-sur-Marne
Ibis Budget Marne la Vallee Bry sur Marne
Novotel Marne La Vallee Noisy
Novotel Marne La Vallee Noisy
#3 of 6 in Noisy-le-Grand
Comfort Hotel Champigny sur Marne
Comfort Hotel Champigny sur Marn...
#1 of 2 in Champigny-sur-Marne
Holiday Inn Paris Marne La Vallee

Been to City Residence Bry sur Marne? Share your experiences!