“Absolutely filthy!! Don't stay here.”

City Residence Bry sur Marne
Fountain Valley, California
“Absolutely filthy!! Don't stay here.”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We saw mixed reviews for this hotel both very bad and very good so we booked hoping for a very good experience. We arrived 2 hours early so they would not talk to us or check us in and there was no nearby restaurant although we did find the train station and the grocery store. When we check in, it was a quick as possible in order to make it to Paris by train before some sights closed. When we returned, the front desk was no longer open. It is only open in the morning and then from 4-8pm. The unit was filthy. There were holes in the wall where a stairrail had been torn down, no extra toilet paper, no curtains for some windows, stains on the walls and on the carpets. There were dust bunnies under the bed, no appearance of vacuuming, spashes of food on the kitchen walls, dust on every baseboard and surface. There was much grease from previous cooking and dust stuck in the grease, alot of mold in the shower and no light in the hall. Second to the filth was the lack of security. We were given a code to access the lobby to get to the courtyard and a code in to our building. It turned out you could walk to the side of the lobby building right through to the courtyard and the lock to the door of our building was punched out so that was also not needed. Most of the units appeared to be rented to tenants fulltime with only unrented apartments being the "hotel". At midnight a fight broke out in another unit in our building. There was much yelling in a foreign language and bashing around. Of course there was no one at the front desk to call and then we discovered there was no telephone at all. We thought to call the police on our cell phones but there was no hotel information in the room about how to make calls. There were enough towels but not toilet paper, there were enough beds and the bedding appeared clean hoever we sneezed all night due to the dust. The apartment was large, spacious and well equipped having a kitchen but no soap to wash the dishes and with so much filth it was hard to trust the cleanliness of the dishes and I was suspicious of the possibility of bedbugs. If the front desck would have been open I would have insisted on them cleaning the room, a refund, or changing to a different room. To top it off, we met a cleaning lady in the hall the next morning who wanted us out at 10am although checkout was 11. I really wanted to watch her do her "job".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tammycameron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This place is really far out of the city (about a 40min taxi ride which can get expensive) but I would definitely go back. The staff were friendly and helped us book tours and plan iteneraries. Check-in was supposed to be at 4pm, but we arrived early (around 11am) and they allowed us to check-in at 12pm. The rooms were very big. However, the blankets did have a few sketchy stains and random hairs on them. The other problem was that daily amneties were not provided (shampoo, soap, and toilet paper were only given to us once at the beginning of the stay). We had to go out and buy our own toilet paper. The town and RER station (both called Bry-sur-Marne) are really close and offer everything you need in that area: grocery store, post office, church, bakery, etc. This place is close enough to the city to make it okay to stay there (takes about 20mins to get to the edge of the city centre). There was no elevator, so ask for a room on the ground floor. That way you won't have to drag your suitcases up 1 flight of stairs. Even with the problems, I would go back again, especially because the place was great for the price we paid.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Not a hotel. Very rude male receptionist. Dirty blanket and pillow covers full of stain. Kitchen tap doesn't work. Shower within the toilet with no partition. Horrible smell. Far from city. You need to buy your own toilet paper and clean your room yourself.

• Stayed June 2012

Travelers are raving about these Bry-sur-Marne hotels

Saint Albans, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The location of these apartments is fabulous: 3 mins from the RER and just 20 mins into central Paris. Cost of travel card for the day is just 10Euros. It also has excellent underground parking so if your car is full of stuff, it is much safer than street parking. On a less positive note, the apartment we had was dirty. The sheets perfectly clean, but the blankets were really unsavoury with long black hairs of the previous guest, lots of stains, and you didn't want to touch them. The door fell off the first cupboard I touched in the kitchen and some cabinets already had doors off. One of the 'double beds' we had (a sofa bed) was broken on one side so it leant downhill. We decided that we wouldn't return, even though the location was so good for day tripping into Paris.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rosemary R
NY
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I will start by letting you know the front desk is only open from 8-6. I called ahead to let them know I was arriving late.. the person I spoke to had very limited English and tried as best as she could to give me clear instructions but something was definitely lost in translation. She the gate code, the lobby code and then the third code I assumed would have been the code to my room... or the room number. WRONG it's the code to the safe deposit box where they had an envelope with my key and a welcome letter. I wouldn't have figured it out except I found a very nice guest who just so happened to be standing at the snack machines when I came in.

I walked into the apartment feeling like I had won the lottery after staying in a cramped tiny room the night before this felt like heaven.
It was an actual apartment with three rooms, a kitchen, sofa, flat tv..premier channels..

It was perfect.. it's a three minute walk from the Bry sur Marne station and in a quiet clean neighborhood. This was kind of stupid of me but the whole time I was there for a week I thought the door would lock itself after it shut, not until the last day did I realize that I actually had to lock it from the inside. Needless to say it's a very safe location even though I hardly saw people walking around.

The apartment was clean, and when I finally went to check in the next day after I arrived the front desk staff was very polite and very friendly. Since there are no phones in the apartments or alarms the lady at the front desk offered to come knock since I had to leave on time in order to catch a flight.

The apartment was very clean, there where plenty of towels, the bed was super comfortable it included a washer machine, and there's a dryer inside the main building, Over all it was a real bargain, I would have expected this place to be charging even four times more than what I paid, but I suppose since it's about a 20-30 minutes away from central Paris and it's not a full service locations they have to charge less.

I'm not sure if I would stay here again just because of distance to central Paris but other than that it's a great bargain.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Ehoss
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2011

If you're looking for a clean, tidy, affordable hotel from which to explore Paris then the City Residence may well be for you.

It is located just 5 minutes walk from Bry-sur-Marne RER station, from there you can get to central Paris in around 20 minutes or, travelling in the opposite direction, Disneyland in just a little while longer. Paris' network of RER and metro lines is extensive and efficient, with a little bit of planning you can get wherever you want in Paris with minimal fuss.

Bry-sur-Marne is in Zone 4 of the Paris transport map. For those of you who plan on using Paris' public transport system a lot during your visit, it may be worth purchasing a Navigo pass. The Navigo allows unlimited travel within a set period of time and a set area, with costs varying by the amount of time you want the pass for and the number of zones you want to travel in. You can get them at most major stations.

The rooms have fridges and some cooking facilities (hobs and a microwave), and breakfast can be purchased from the hotel, although as I didn't have one I can't comment on its quality. The City Residence is also a handy 10 minute stroll from the local supermarket, so shopping poses no difficulty.

The hotel in general was clean and tidy and met expectations. It is worth noting, however, that the reception is only open certain times of day and you should check the times when planning your arrival to make sure you can check in. There is also no internet access, so if, like me, you need to access e-mails or print boarding passes you'll have to find an internet cafe.

Paris is one of my favourite world cities and, in my opinion, the City Residence is a good a base as any to explore it from.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MBridgett_GB
Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

All round this hotel was great! Excellent location. Really close to the RER station with very quick transport to the centre of paris but also to disneyland paris and the vallee village shopping centre.
The room was good as well, not too cramped and apart from the lack of bowls in the kitchen there was everything you needed really to cook. Although washing up liquid and a cloth could have been provided.
The only bad thing about our room was the shower, which was broken. It did work and it sufficed but it was obviously broken as someone had put a hairband round it to keep it secure. They should have fixed it really.
The staff were ok. Fairly welcoming on arrival. There was one occasion where we asked one of the staff on reception a question and they were slightly rude. We didn't have breakfast so couldn't rate that.
Overall a decent hotel and I would definitely stay again because of the facilities in the room and the great location for an excellent price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
JC D, Responsable de site at City Residence Bry sur Marne, responded to this review, September 17, 2011
Dear Estimated Guest,

We would like to thank you for the time you have taken to share your experience with all the Internet Users. This contribution is important to us because it helps us to improve day after day our guest's experiences.

We would like to apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay and please rest assured that we take very good note of your remarks. Actions have already been taken to avoid such disappointment in the future.

It will be a privilege to welcome you again in our City Residence and we wish to assure you, Dear estimated Guest, of our highest consideration.

The Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bry-sur-Marne
Ibis Budget Marne la Vallee Bry sur Marne
B&B Hotel Noisy le Grand
#4 of 6 in Noisy-le-Grand
Premiere Classe Marne La Vallee - Noisy Le Grand
Residence Du Parc Val d'Europe

Been to City Residence Bry sur Marne? Share your experiences!