“Don't hesitate...hotel Sabalos is perfect!”
Review of Hotel Sabalos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boca Sabalos
Hotel Sabalos
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Boca Sabalos
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I will not re-write how everething is...I fully agree with the description below. The hotel Sabalos is perfect for your stay in the Rio San Juan aera, it's only one hour by fast boat or two hour by slow boat to El Castillo, which you can visit in a day easily. I would recommend the hotel for those of you who are a bit tired of travelling and need a few days to rest. The pace is so slow...you can take an excursion with Julio by canoe on Sabalos River, or any other excursion he has to offer...You'll find him on the dock always ready to help. He's great and very interesting , and he will give you great insight of Nicaraguan life.

Last , I would mention the good service at he hotel, especially Mariella, always eager to help and Julio . It is definitly a place hard to leave.

Room Tip: Any room facing the river...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank madyMontreal
There are newer reviews for Hotel Sabalos

Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Sabalos en route to El Costillo for 3 nights and 1 night on the way back. They held my big pack while I went on ahead to El Costillo with a daypack for a few days. The service is superb, room are clean. The staff were very accommodating, in fact, more than, and the whole visit was more than perfect. While in El Costillo I needed to find out when the next bus left from San Carlos to Granada, with phone texting, Mariela in the front office got back to me and I had the info I needed in no time. If there were a rating more than Excellent, this property would get it twofold!

Room Tip: great to stay when you are the only guest or so, great place to relax and get better if you are sick
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Amazing location, good value for money, very enjoyable place, nothing to complain about. We would definitely return..!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This is a really characterful place to stay, and a pleasant change after the concrete boxes that serve as many hotel rooms. The Hotel Sabalos is a timber-built hotel, built on wooden stilts out over the Rio San Juan.

The rooms are wood-panelled, clean and tidy. In my view the beds are the best of the 8 or 9 places we stayed on our central american tour this summer. Nice and firm mattresses, good pillows. We slept like logs.The bathrooms are fine, again wood panelled. The showers are hot, once you work out the controls. A verandah runs the length of the hotel, and provides glorious views of the river. A nice place to sit, with chairs, hammocks, etc.

We ate at the restaurant both nights we were there. The first night, it was dark after we sat down to eat, and we wondered why the hotel lighting was all covered with coloured tape - so the lights appeared red, green, blue... The hotelier then put a normal lamp about 5m from us - and within minutes the area around it was a blur of insects. (I guess he put it there to draw the insects away from us). My kids went back to the room to get long sleeved tops and repellent - and my wife followed - opening the door whilst the light was on. A big mistake. The room was full of insects in seconds!!! That said, we didn't get one bite while at the Hotel Sabalos. There are so many insects, you just don't get complacent like you do other places.

Tip: eat early, before it gets dark.

The restaurant food was OK, though I can't rave about it. The gallo pinto was rather plain and oily, not the best we had, and the fried fish was over-cooked and little more than skin and bone. That said, the quality of the accommodation is sufficient to recommend a stay in this place.

Another reason for staying here is on account of some of the tours offered by the hotel. We went on the evening caimen (like small crocs) tour, 4 of us at $15 each. You go out in the hotel's boat with pilot and guide, and a couple of dead chickens. The guide shines a torch along the bank and picks up the eyes of caimen. Incredibly, when the boat is close enough, he leaps off, catches the caimen and returns it to the boat for you to look at - and hold if you're brave enough. Then back in the river it goes.

A very interesting and memorable place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed February 23, 2011

This little hotel was a breath of fresh air after staying in questionable accommodation up river.
The location is wonderful, staff great, it's clean and they also provide you with drinking water in the lobby to fill your bottle.
If you want to go to a wonderful spot on the Rio San Juan, this is it. Very affordable and good value for your money. All our meals here were delicious.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2011

With one of the best views on the Rio San Juan this small but comfortable hotel was one of the best values I encountered on my entire 6 week trip of Nicaragua. My room was clean, comfortable and overlooked the river. While the menu is limited, food quality and service were excellent. For those who need to be connected 24/7 the lack of efficient internet service in the area might be a strain, but it is a minor issue compared to the pleasure of being off the beaten track in a beautiful setting

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2010

The rooms were clean and comfortable, tours were very reasonable, the staff was friendly and helpful. The location is great, right on the river. I would not hesitate to stay here again! Be sure to visit the fort, El Castillo when you're in the neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Santa Cruz
Montecristo EcoLodge
Montecristo EcoLodge
#1 of 3 in Boca Sabalos

Been to Hotel Sabalos? Share your experiences!