“A fabulous week in Paradise.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Astillero
Las Plumerias Lodge and Surf
Ranked #1 of 1 El Astillero B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 11, 2012

This will be an in-depth review!
I was travelling alone, stayed for a week and opted for their surf camp package.

First of all, both Émeline and Étienne did a fantastic job of answering all of my questions via email in a timely fashion and even sent me a picture of the driver who would be picking me up at the airport.

The ride from the airport is anywhere between 1h45-2h15 depending on traffic and weather and will give you a good chance to take in the diverse scenery and multiple villages along the way.

Surfing:
As soon as I arrived, I was asked if I wanted to go for an afternoon surfing session with Didier, one of their instructors. What more could you ask for?

The coaching was all-around excellent. Tailored to my level and Didier and Étienne never put me in a conditions which were above my skills.

Most spots are 15-25 mins away (car+walking on the beach), there are either deserted (e.g. El Astillero) or with very few surfers (e.g. Popoyo) at least in January.
The locals are quite friendly and there isn't any hostility towards the tourists.

Food:
Martha and Gladis are the two chefs, who make 3 excellent meals per day, using local ingredients purchased from the fishing village nearby.
Over the course of my 7 days, I did not eat the same meal twice!
Émeline and Étienne are very open to suggestions and would eagerly satisfy my cravings for schrimps and lobster. So don't be afraid to make requests.
There is always freshly pressed fruits juice (passion fruit, miam!)
Unlimited drinks (sodas, beer, wine, fruit juices)
If you're starving between meals, they chefs will be happy to fix you a little something.

Rooms:
Very very spacious, you get your own bungalow with 2 double beds and with mosquito nets.
Big shower.
Environment friendly toilet.
You do your business then fill up the bowl with sawdust. There is absolutely no residual smell.
You have your own hammock and a rocking chair right in front.
I slept like a baby.

Grounds:
Beautiful landscaping! It's so hot during the day, that you'ill want to stay under the shade in a hammock, nap or read, or simply take in the scenery.
This is a gated property, with at least 1 security guard 24 hours a day. (Lester and Marlon)
I was told that even though the region is safe, since every hotel/resort/camp had a security guard, the owners also felt that they should do the same.

City:
The closest city, El Astillero, is a poor fishing village.
There are no clubs/bars.

Overall it was a fantastic trip and I was treated like a king.
I'd recommend Las Plumerias whether you're travelling alone, with a partner, friend, kids and whether or not your surf.
I'm eagerly looking towards going back for another week in paradise.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed May 4, 2012

What can you expect more...??? I was picked up at the Airport by Etienne, the owner of the Lodge. He has a very pleasant personallity and he knows a lot about the beautiful country of Nicaragua. The drive to the Lodge was so very scenic, beautiful and very informative. Once at the Lodge I was amazed... what a perfect setting and the views - just unbelievable. The Bungalows very well equiped, super-clean and very, very pretty.

From the first moment, you are part of the surfer community. As I was travelling alone I appreciated the fact that we were eating all together. And the quality of the food was just outstanding! Sometimes after surfing we visited the fisherman and Etienne bought fresh fish and crabs. A couple of hours later they were deliciously prepared for Lunch or Dinner. And the desserts... tarte au citron, mousse au chocolat - french deserts at its best!

Emeline and Etienne are running this Lodge in an excellent way. It is a Surfer's Lodge atmosphere - but the quality could keep up with 5* hotels in food, lodging and friedliness.

Etienne and Didier are excellent Surf-Teachers. Safety always comes first, very experienced, patient and lots of fun.

Next time I will take my family to this beautiful place! After all the beautiful things I told them, my wife and our boys can't wait to visit this pristine paradise in Nicaragua.

Beat, Zurich/Switzerland

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I did visit Etienne and Emeline with the expectation of great surfing, friendly vibe, comfortable place to stay and great cuisine.
Everything was way above my expectation.
The surfing was awesome, we had amazing waves every day and Etienne knew where to go according to the tide, swell direction and crowd. We end up surfing the whole time with perfect offshore breeze, hot water and few people out.
The vibe at "Las PLumerias" is really family orientated, you really feel at home. Etienne and Emeline wakes you up early in the morning with the smell of fresh fruit salad and thick pancakes, black french coffee, en route to surf ... They are always around to check if everything is fine with your stay and really helpful whenever you want to go for a horse ride, yoga course, beach ride or whatever.
The bungalows have good confi king size beds with mosquito nets, fans, good bathroom and plenty of space, the terrace in front offer you great view on the beach and amazing Nicaraguaian sunsets.
The real treats to me was the cuisine, Emelinne is a proper "chef" and cook like no-one else. French cuisine at his best !!! Expect lobsters, fresh fish, italian pasta, lemon pie and chocolate cake ... you would have to fly all the way to France to get such food.
It was by far the best trip of my life, I had an awesome stay and a tremendous time, I'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank brice24
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I spend 2 weeks in las plumerias and it was just perfect.
The crew is awsome , they drove me to the best surf and took care of me as their own.
The food was fantastic....the best place to stay in the Rivas Area

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank philbarrel
Reviewed December 5, 2010

Wonderful place,much more charming than any other surfcamp i've seen.Stylish in a simple way,super friendly atmosphere.The food is delicious,truly good!.
Etienne is very flexible and will do all he can to make you feel a home,relaxed dude in an efficient way.I had grat waves there,i will be back for more.
Saludos dañinos!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Ma C
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This was our 2nd trip to the surf lodge. Etienne and Emmeline are the most incredible and attentive hosts you will ever find. They made our stay so comfortable that I'm sure we're going to return annually because we enjoy ourselves so much there. They even made adjustments to the meals to accommodate our diets - and went beyond anything we could ever hope for.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chillinAmsterdam
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I you are looking for a combinaison of surf, comfort, peace and fun, Las Plumerias is a good option. This lodge is a few minutes walk from a deserted beach (the owners dogs woud enthousiasly show you the way!) and a few minutes by car from surprisingly uncrowded surfing waves. You sometime have take a charming walk or paddle to the waves a little but...if you really like surfing what wouldn't you do to get your own wave?Étienne, the owner and surf instructor knows and understand very well all the spots. He always found the best places and gave the right advices for us to progress. He is well respected by the local community which allow is guests to be wellcome everywhere (not only waves but also easy parking, leave our stuff in tiendas).

Étienne took us around as well in touristic places than local institutions and events (ex: rodeo), which made our stay unexpectedly unforgettable.

The accomodations are up to any comfort expectations but within respect of the environnement. Henry, the cook, makes you think that you eat in a 5 stars Hotel. He takes his job at heart and it always release him that we tell him "!muy rico!" at every meals! We didn't find any better food in Nica (even in Granada and we were ready to pay for it). The place is clean and peaceful. If some people worried about the "dry toilet", I personnaly think that beside the ecologic side of it, it was even cleaner than our classic waterwaste toilet. One other thing...try to fall asleep in one of the lodge hamac...it is addictive!

Thus, I recommend this place to any travellers who want to live an authentic experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
#2 of 7 in Popoyo
Nica Vida Surf Lodge
Nica Vida Surf Lodge
#2 of 6 in Las Salinas

Been to Las Plumerias Lodge and Surf? Share your experiences!