“Great base for Three Peaks”

Gwesty Ty Gorsaf Hotel
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Excellent hotel & I would like to thank Jon & his staff for making us feel very
welcome after completing the Three Peaks. Everything was arranged as
promised & the staff couldn't have been more welcoming & accommodating. I
would definitely recommend your hotel to anyone else I know who is visiting
the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
manager h, General Manager at Gwesty Ty Gorsaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear John K,

Thank you for your kind comments on the Hotel and Staff i am delighted to read your remarks and am glad you enjoyed yourselves and that you managed the 3 peaks.

I hope you will visit us again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Four adults were in my party, occupying three rooms.
Spent a couple of nights here recently. Room large - enormous bed! A good deal of attention to detail here, apart from the usual toiletries there was a jar of biscuits in the room! Shower easy to use and worked well. Staff extremely hardworking, cheerful and helpful. Good breakfast selection and dinner menu. The hotel is well placed for trips to local beauty spots. Don't risk turning up on spec, this hotel gets booked up and I witnessed at least three people turned away because the rooms were full. The hotel has been under new management for a year, and they are gradually refurbishing it, taking care to retain its character.

Room Tip: Don't let a room over the bar put you off, as there was no loud noise. Even the nearby railway...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank aissiegirl

Dear Aissie Girl,

Thank you so much for your kind comments it pleases me to read good reports of the hotel and my staff. i am glad you all enjoyed yourselves. and that my staff were welcoming and attantive i will for sure be passing your comments onto my team.

I hope you will return soon. for up to date rates please e mail me at enquiries@tygorsaf.co.uk

Regards

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed for two nights B&B and although all the staff were friendly and helpful, the hotel clean and comfortable generally and well located, Ty Gorsaf lacks quality and facilities for guests and offers poor value for the £80 per night rate advertised, even with 25% discount for last minute booking. Call me old fashioned but that is a lot of money if you are not charging to business expenses. My room was adequate but very dated (boarding house) brown furniture and fittings in the room I had was depressing, and I had too many niggles to make it an enjoyable stay. Such as: no car park! One has to use the public car parks (pay and display 8am-6pm) or, as I did, use a layby opposite. There was no hot water for a bath in the evening until 7pm. Frankly, at £80 a day, I want hot water all-day. I know many other hotels are guilty too but surely guests (many walkers etc) want to relax, wash and change for dinner well before this? Wi-Fi didn't work for me although others succeeded. Mobile phone reception in Blaenau is very limited, be warned. My biscuits, gel, shampoo etc in the room not renewed at they should be daily. Breakfast begins at
8 am which I consider late for many business travellers or outdoor types who want to be out and halfway up a mountain by this time. 7.30 am would be a fair compromise. Also, I had to ask specifically for butter and decant my marmalade from a remote jar. OK petty things - some (like parking or phone reception) out of the control of the owners - but many of these other small issues add up to an inexcusable blind spot to what customers really want during their stay. Managers, it's not rocket science, is it?

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mrpaull2
manager h, General Manager at Gwesty Ty Gorsaf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Mr Paul 2,

Firstly may I thank you for your kind comments towards my staff.

i am rather disturbed with the review you have written on Tripadvisor it does make me quite sad that you wrote what you did when you look at the other comments of excellent remarks. Also with the niggles you have put rather than ask for myself to discuss the issues.

I charge £80 for a room as this is the going rate within the area which also includes a full welsh breakfast. even guest houses are charging near enough the same.
with the furniture in the rooms we have tried to keep Gwesty Ty Gorsaf as original as possible in the rooms even though they were refurbished in August 2012.
With regards to the car park it does state on all booking sites as well as our own website that it is pay and display parking you would of found that a small charge of £3.50 is a lot better than £25.00 charge to park in the city.
our Hot Water system is on 24 hours a day 7 days a week but if people are tunning bath's or having showers at the same time (which does happen) then the water pressure will drop and the boiler would be doing its best to keep supplying hot water.
There a 2 wifi units in Ty Gorsaf that are working perfectly and covers the whole property except one part which is private use and with the phone signal that is beyond my control.but bearing in mind you wear staying in North wales surrounded by mountains.

i can only apologise about the Shower Gel and Biscuits situation i have spoke to my Housekeeping team and they assure me that they replenish them everyday unless there was only a small amount used from the shampoo & shower gel.
Finally with regards to breakfast that it does state in the information folder in the rooms that if you require breakfast a bit earlier or are planning to leave early then we could arrange a packed lunch for our guest if booked the night prior. (plus Gwesty Ty Gorsaf is not a 24 hour service) with the marmalade the reason I want them in the jars on the buffet table is because i want the product to be kept local and it is for the guest to look at our jams and marmalades so they can help them selves and if they enjoy them then they can be purchased from our shop. this has gone down very well with other guest.

all in all i apologise that your stay was not enjoyable with us and that if you would like to discuss this further then please do not hesitate in contacting me.

enquiries@tygorsaf.co.uk

Regards

Jon Craven

Reviewed August 12, 2013

On first arrival we were standing about for a couple of minutes before eventually someone actually came and checked us in to the hotel. However as soon as we saw our room, the delayed check in was far forgotten. The room was excellent! Perfect condition and newly renovated to a high standard. It’s a shame my husband misplaced our memory card that had the pictures of the hotel room in it, otherwise I would have uploaded them.
The hotel was in the heart of the community which has its upsides such as ease of access to all the shops and the Ffestiniog Railway! But of course some of the local teenagers made some noise late at night which woke us up but that has nothing to do with the hotel.
Overall I would definitely stay here again, and we are planning on returning to wales very soon, hopefully before Christmas, so fingers cross my husband would book this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexa s

Dear Alexa,

Thank you for your kind comments. firstly may I apologise about the wait you may have had in reception there is a sign on the desk if people are wanting to check in.
I am pleased you like the room you were in.
with regards to the youngsters and the noise we are doing our up most to reduce the noise levels but unfortunately with the hotel being situated on the main road in the middle of the town centre this is something we hope to sort even though it has nothing to do with the hotel.
Anyway i am pleased that you found the hotel accessible.
I hope you can come and visit us again soon and over the christmas period please do not hesitate in contacting me for up to date rates enquiries@tygorsaf.co.uk

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just come back From a weekend here and can honestly say I am very disappointed. The hotel and service is not reflective of the price at all. The room we had was very very basic, dirty and had many flaws, the basin was cracked, the toilet handle was broken, lights did not work and there was no mirrors at all in the room. The bed and sheets were also filthy which is rather disturbing, surely these are the basics of a hotel room. You could here everythiing that was happening to other peoples room so sound prooving is not existent. The location is not great as it is in the main square, and was very noisy on weekend evenings, we heard all the drunks walking home and a few arguments or to

The staff are anything but friendly and lack everything needed to be good hosts. There was no pleasant welcoming no checks on weather eveything is ok and no indication they would even be happy to help in any way. We had a meal in the evening which was over priced rubbish and the next night we had fish and chips as there is no where else to eat locally.

Word of wring you have to pay for parking as it is pay and display so be prepared to wake up early to top your ticket up.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank anonymous1601
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Big up for Jon the manager and his staff. Nothing was too much trouble during my stay, i even added an extra night. I would have no hesitation in using this hotel again. Nice bar area, quality seating in the bar. outside area nice and well kept.
I ate breakfast here every day and also eat here at night. Food quality and menu range is perfect!
A jewel in the mountains!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank johns_lloyd

Dear John,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your kind comments about my Staff it gives me great happiness that i know my Guests and Customers have been well looked after.
I am also pleased that you enjoyed our accommodation and food with the beautiful views.

I hope you visit us again soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We live locally and celebrated our Anniversary on July 26th with another couple at this Hotel We have enjoyed parties here many a time over the yrs. Today the Hotel has been modernised decorated & refurbished and has had a new lease of life. Congratulations to the new management and thank you for the complimentary bottle of wine we had with our dinner. We shall certainly come again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Llanrug
The Gwydyr Hotel
The Gwydyr Hotel
#5 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Gwesty Ty Gorsaf Hotel? Share your experiences!