“A hidden gem in the Amazone!”

Huasquila Amazon Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We had a fantastic stay at huasquila logde! We stayed there with our boys, 11 and 13 years old and truly enjoyed the Amazon experience in this lodge. The staff was very friendly and the food was the biggest surprise! At this location it is a true challenge to prepare decent meals for guests but we were pleasantly suprised by the high quality and originality of the meals.
Healthy with fresh local products! Even better than in 5 star hotels where we stayed during our trip.
Also the pool is fantastic, the kids loved to jump in it after having hiked in the jungle.
Would definately recommend this oasis.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Marielle V
PMH10, Owner at Huasquila Amazon Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Marielle,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us! It was a pleasure to have you and your wonderful family as guests at Huasquila!

We wish you all the best for 2014!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

We enjoyed our Amazon experience very much. You are not deep in the jungle, however you still have the opportunity to see some amazing things. Be prepared for lots of hiking in mud and up steep rocks. The food is AMAZING! The rooms are clean and standard. The property is beautiful. The manager was delightful and made an effort to speak to everyone at every meal.
Just be aware that if you don't speak/understand Spanish you will have an issue. None of our tour guides spoke English and it would have been helpful if we understood more Spanish.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us! We are glad you enjoyed it!

We are sorry we didn´t hire a bilingual guide for you during your stay. As you say all on site guides only speak kichwa and Spanish, but we do have excellent English speaking guides, however we have to book them in advance and it has an extra cost.

We will make sure to explain this in a better way to all guests that come to Huasquila!

Have a Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We were on a private tour for disabled people. The lodge looked after us very well. Rustic but comfortable. Not easy to self-propel wheelchair, but friendly staff were on hand at all times. Food good and access to all sorts of interesting activities quite easy. Memorable experience

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your review! We wish you all the best for 2014!

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The lodge is very rustic with the Amazon feeling, a wonderful place to stay, the bungaloos are really nice and confortable. The food and the service was really great, we enjoyed even with a 2 year old. We hiked and found gorgeous waterfalls and landscape out of a fairy tale, the guides were really helpful, they are natives from the zone named Kichuas, and were very helpful on the difficult paths and describing medicinal plants. Surely a place to visit, not to far from Quito and with great hospitality!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Weronica,

Thank you for your review! It was a pleasure to have you and your wonderful family as guests and we hope that you can visit us again!

All thebest!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had a few days between a trip in Brazil and a trip to the Galapagos and decided the amazon was the biggest thing missing from my trip. I really wanted to be deep in the jungle and see the animals all around me but knew I really couldn't afford that. But I still wanted to experience the jungle a little bit and this was a great way to do that.
As I said in my title you are really just on the edge of the amazon jungle here, if you are expecting to see animals all over the place this is not the place to go. If you are expecting to see a bit of the jungle this is the place.
The staff here are amazing, I was supposed to be meeting a friend in Quito at the airport in the afternoon and driving straight to the lodge. My connecting flight was delayed and long story short I didn't get in until close to 10pm. A drive to the lodge was not feasible at the time but my friend called Pablo and coordinated and Pablo arranged to pick us up and take us to a place to spend the night.
As we then arrived at the lodge in the middle of the day, the workers were preparing for dinner and most of the other guests were out so we were just shown to our room and we hung out until Pablo and his mother came to greet us and fill us in on our activities.
We went on a few jungle hikes, to a waterfall and just through the jungle. We learned about the trees and their uses and saw some bugs and animal tracks. We had chose a rafting option so spent a day rafting on the Napo River. this was an amazing experience and am glad that we chose it. On our last day we were given the option of going to a cave or going to an animal center. Our bathing suits were already dirty and we were leaving the next day so we opted for the animal center. It was really just a zoo but had a great variety of animals, there were also some birds (parrot-like) and monkeys running free so we did sort of get to "see" monkeys and birds in the wild.

The food at the lodge was AMAZING, my only complaint was for me it was too much as it was always three courses (soup, main and desert) lemonade and water were always provided as well. Each meal was different and we experienced a nice variety of cuisine.

Pablo and his mother run a great lodge, looking to do everything to give you a great experience. He even mentioned to me at the end that they do offer guests the opportunity to get up ridiculously early and go to another lodge in hopes of seeing animals in the wild. So Pablo will try to cater to your needs as best as possible just ask him!

I am glad we chose to stay here and we had a great experience, I do have to warn you there are rather large moths that will hang around your room but if one gets into your room the workers will come and get rid of it for you :-) Just from personal experience...

So if you want to get a taste of the amazon for a good price come here!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Kelly,

Thanks you for your review! It was a pleasure to have you as a guest!

All the best!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

First of all I vistited Huasquila back in September 2006 with my 18 year old son. I wrote to Pablo thanking him for a fantastic 6 days but have just found the email as not having been sent. As we both thoroughly enjoyed our visit I'm now completing the feedback here.
First of all the hospitality was excellent and every possible effort was made by Pablo and his family to ensure we had an excellent trip. The food (all thanks to his Mum) was some of the best we had ever tasted and extra was always available. The room was very clean, well stocked and nice located with good views. Although this is the Amazon, People expecting a pure virgin jungle experience should look elsewhere as it's located nearer small towns or communities however if your after a jungle experience with a good level of comfort, excellent food and hositality then look no further. I have travelled all over the Amazon and have fond memories of my time there and certainly would love to stay there again.

Bob Price

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Boboneseven

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your great review! It was a real surprise to hear from you after all these years and to know that you still think about your time in Huasquila!

We would love to have you back one day!

All the best and Happy New Year!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'm not sure where to begin as, start-to-finish, this was really an exceptional trip. I had heard of Huasquila from friends in Quito who had stayed there—sounded like a good place and the fact that it was all-inclusive (from meals to activities to room) for one *very* affordable price, made it seem like a great option. Little did we know how great it was...

Our host, and the property manager, Cecilia was such a warm, loving presence the entire time we were there and we felt in such good care. She always inquired how we were doing, if there was anything we needed, and seemed to always be at our service. She was such a gift during our stay.

The MEALS were phenomenal: fresh exotic fruit juices, three courses of fresh and delicious choices, and a beautiful setting—while the site did say meals were included, we never suspected it would be of this quality and variety!

The GROUNDS were absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. We were there during a quieter period, and it was lovely how they spaced out their guests among the bungalows for maximum solitude and tranquility. We particularly loved how close two (!) waterfalls were to the bungalows, as well as the access to the pool and jacuzzi.

The ACTIVITIES were well planned and it was lovely to not have to think about anything. We thoroughly enjoyed the hike to the first waterfall, the jungle tour (the guide was funny and fantastic!), and the caves. The places we went on the jungle tour were amazing, especially the walk in the river! Re: the caves, I was, at first, wondering how "dangerous" the caves would be, but they are part of a more touristy area—though they are not "easy"—prepare to use your upper-body strength!

One of our favorite parts of the experience was that there was PLENTY of down-time. Often we found ourselves with 2-3 hours before the next meal, which offered a perfect opportunity to hang out at the pool or just relax in the hammock.

Though I have no idea when I'll be back in Ecuador, my time at Huasquila has certainly left me with a great impression, and I'll be sure to recommend this spot to anyone I hear who is even remotely in the area.

I traveled with one other person and while I’m sure it could be very fun with a large group, this was absolutely a divine setting for two people looking to relax and spend a wonderful bit of quality time together.

Do yourself a favor: check this place out!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nathan A

Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your wonderful review about your stay and detailed description of our different service areas. We couldn´t have done it better!

We hope to have you back some time, it was wonderful to have you as guests!

All the best!

Pablo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cotundo
Hotel Los Yutzos
Hotel Los Yutzos
#1 of 3 in Tena
Cotococha Amazon Lodge
Cabanas San Isidro
Cabanas San Isidro
#1 of 1 in Cosanga

Been to Huasquila Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!