“Had an amazing time, but realize you are just in the edge of the jungle.”

Huasquila Amazon Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Had an amazing time, but realize you are just in the edge of the jungle.”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I had a few days between a trip in Brazil and a trip to the Galapagos and decided the amazon was the biggest thing missing from my trip. I really wanted to be deep in the jungle and see the animals all around me but knew I really couldn't afford that. But I still wanted to experience the jungle a little bit and this was a great way to do that.
As I said in my title you are really just on the edge of the amazon jungle here, if you are expecting to see animals all over the place this is not the place to go. If you are expecting to see a bit of the jungle this is the place.
The staff here are amazing, I was supposed to be meeting a friend in Quito at the airport in the afternoon and driving straight to the lodge. My connecting flight was delayed and long story short I didn't get in until close to 10pm. A drive to the lodge was not feasible at the time but my friend called Pablo and coordinated and Pablo arranged to pick us up and take us to a place to spend the night.
As we then arrived at the lodge in the middle of the day, the workers were preparing for dinner and most of the other guests were out so we were just shown to our room and we hung out until Pablo and his mother came to greet us and fill us in on our activities.
We went on a few jungle hikes, to a waterfall and just through the jungle. We learned about the trees and their uses and saw some bugs and animal tracks. We had chose a rafting option so spent a day rafting on the Napo River. this was an amazing experience and am glad that we chose it. On our last day we were given the option of going to a cave or going to an animal center. Our bathing suits were already dirty and we were leaving the next day so we opted for the animal center. It was really just a zoo but had a great variety of animals, there were also some birds (parrot-like) and monkeys running free so we did sort of get to "see" monkeys and birds in the wild.

The food at the lodge was AMAZING, my only complaint was for me it was too much as it was always three courses (soup, main and desert) lemonade and water were always provided as well. Each meal was different and we experienced a nice variety of cuisine.

Pablo and his mother run a great lodge, looking to do everything to give you a great experience. He even mentioned to me at the end that they do offer guests the opportunity to get up ridiculously early and go to another lodge in hopes of seeing animals in the wild. So Pablo will try to cater to your needs as best as possible just ask him!

I am glad we chose to stay here and we had a great experience, I do have to warn you there are rather large moths that will hang around your room but if one gets into your room the workers will come and get rid of it for you :-) Just from personal experience...

So if you want to get a taste of the amazon for a good price come here!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
PMH10, Owner at Huasquila Amazon Lodge, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Kelly,

Thanks you for your review! It was a pleasure to have you as a guest!

Pablo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Swanley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

First of all I vistited Huasquila back in September 2006 with my 18 year old son. I wrote to Pablo thanking him for a fantastic 6 days but have just found the email as not having been sent. As we both thoroughly enjoyed our visit I'm now completing the feedback here.
First of all the hospitality was excellent and every possible effort was made by Pablo and his family to ensure we had an excellent trip. The food (all thanks to his Mum) was some of the best we had ever tasted and extra was always available. The room was very clean, well stocked and nice located with good views. Although this is the Amazon, People expecting a pure virgin jungle experience should look elsewhere as it's located nearer small towns or communities however if your after a jungle experience with a good level of comfort, excellent food and hositality then look no further. I have travelled all over the Amazon and have fond memories of my time there and certainly would love to stay there again.

Bob Price

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Boboneseven
Dear Bob,

Thank you for your great review! It was a real surprise to hear from you after all these years and to know that you still think about your time in Huasquila!

We would love to have you back one day!

All the best and Happy New Year!

Grafton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'm not sure where to begin as, start-to-finish, this was really an exceptional trip. I had heard of Huasquila from friends in Quito who had stayed there—sounded like a good place and the fact that it was all-inclusive (from meals to activities to room) for one *very* affordable price, made it seem like a great option. Little did we know how great it was...

Our host, and the property manager, Cecilia was such a warm, loving presence the entire time we were there and we felt in such good care. She always inquired how we were doing, if there was anything we needed, and seemed to always be at our service. She was such a gift during our stay.

The MEALS were phenomenal: fresh exotic fruit juices, three courses of fresh and delicious choices, and a beautiful setting—while the site did say meals were included, we never suspected it would be of this quality and variety!

The GROUNDS were absolutely beautiful and very well maintained. We were there during a quieter period, and it was lovely how they spaced out their guests among the bungalows for maximum solitude and tranquility. We particularly loved how close two (!) waterfalls were to the bungalows, as well as the access to the pool and jacuzzi.

The ACTIVITIES were well planned and it was lovely to not have to think about anything. We thoroughly enjoyed the hike to the first waterfall, the jungle tour (the guide was funny and fantastic!), and the caves. The places we went on the jungle tour were amazing, especially the walk in the river! Re: the caves, I was, at first, wondering how "dangerous" the caves would be, but they are part of a more touristy area—though they are not "easy"—prepare to use your upper-body strength!

One of our favorite parts of the experience was that there was PLENTY of down-time. Often we found ourselves with 2-3 hours before the next meal, which offered a perfect opportunity to hang out at the pool or just relax in the hammock.

Though I have no idea when I'll be back in Ecuador, my time at Huasquila has certainly left me with a great impression, and I'll be sure to recommend this spot to anyone I hear who is even remotely in the area.

I traveled with one other person and while I’m sure it could be very fun with a large group, this was absolutely a divine setting for two people looking to relax and spend a wonderful bit of quality time together.

Do yourself a favor: check this place out!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nathan A
Dear Nathan,

Thank you for your wonderful review about your stay and detailed description of our different service areas. We couldn´t have done it better!

We hope to have you back some time, it was wonderful to have you as guests!

Argentina
Reviewed July 30, 2013

First of all, very disorganized. When we arrived no one seemed to be aware that we were coming and the spacious room we were initially shown was locked and no one could find the key, so we were shoved into another room half the size. The staff seemed like they hated their jobs, so were not super friendly. I am a Spanish speaker so understood the words and tone that the owner used to speak to her staff, and I didn't like it. Also, although she speaks perfect English, she insisted on speaking to my friend in Spanish even though she knew that I was the only Spanish speaker in our party. The meals were prompt but OK. The attractions in the area, with the exception of Jumandy Caves, are pretty pathetic. I agree with what another reviewer said that it's better to take some extra time to haul yourself out to Cuyabeno where you can see more animals.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Laura,

We were quite shocked to receive this review about your stay. We did contact you to get more details, since as they say every critique is a gift since It helps you to improve and consider any aspect we might have not seen and make it better to avoid such situations for the future.
Sadly you never took the time to answer.

1. First of all: Our staff is very happy to work in Huasquila and always very kind and respectful. From the beginning we have put lots of effort in improving our service with local people under a concept of mutual respect, not only to our guests, but to our coworkers and our environment, in fact, it has been so successful that we really feel like a good team and enjoy our time at Huasquila a lot. Besides, most of the local staff have improved significantly their living standards thanks to their work at Huasquila. All staff members have been with us from almost the beginning, so we really feel like a family.

2. You found the activities pathetic. This is a very strong word and we are really concerned about it. We truly believe to have great hikes with superb guides, a lot of attractions and as you can see in other reviews our guests love them!

3. We do find your review quite disrespectful in many ways. We think that tripadvisor is an excellent tool to let future guests know about the positive and negative experiences they have had that help both: future guests to plan their trip and owners to better manage their hotels. However when it is just used as a tool to "get back" at someone for whatever reason, this is not right.

Cecilia apologized for the inconvenience you had with the room by offering you a free bottle of wine at dinner . You were shown an accessible bungalow that fits up to 4 people and that was intended for a person in a wheelchair whom we couldn´t offer your bungalow due to the distance. We were full the time of your stay, but you were kindly taken (not shoved) to a double bungalow (aprox. 40 m2) with a balcony, hammok and huge bathroom.

You advise people to go to the Cuyabeno, however to find a place like Huasquila you would have to pay 4 times more and have at least 2 more days. There is no guarantee to see wildlife in the amazon, not even in the Cuyabeno. However we do have partnerships with lodges and can help plan combined trips.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

What a lovely place! Everyone is friendly and awesome.
Superb cooking from Diego the chef (my favourite was the chicken cooked in the myto leaf) and amazing homemade lemonade.
Very knowledgeable guides talking about medicinal plants on the jungle treks. Loved wandering through the jungle and waterfalls.
The cave trip was a blast too, swimming through the water in the pitch black (with a head torch).

Seeing a capybara the at the animal rescue centre was great. The staff there are very passionate and we learned a lot about various animals individual rescue story.

The chocolate museum is hidden away on the banks of the picturesque napo river. The history of cacao is interesting plus we ground our own fresh beans to make a wonderful cup of hot chocolate.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank axelnormand
Thank you for your great review on your stay at Huasquila! We also enjoyed very much having you as a guest and hope you can come back visit us one day!

Al the best!

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My review is subjective because (a) I traveled alone and (b) the day I was there just happened to be election day.

I first want to say if you want a real Amazon experience, I would pay the extra buck and get a lodge in the Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve. Huasquila is in the secondary jungle, so hardly the real deal, no animals / birds, just lots of plants. Nonetheless quite enjoyable. So bear that in mind.

I was very much impressed with the look and feel of the lodge. My bungalo was fantastic. Go for dinner at the restaurant, I was greeted by the manager (nice lady) and some of the volunteers. The volunteers were around my age (in their 20s), and when they did speak with me, they were very nice. The food I was served was excellent. As I ate I realized I was the only guest at the lodge, which can hold a lot of people.

What bothered me was that for every meal and time spent outside of the itinerary, the volunteers and the staff sort of left me alone. As I ate, I could hear them eating and laughing in the back room. Just seems like maybe they would could have joined me considering the lodge was empty. I would get a beer, and the volunteers / staff would be sitting at the bar drinking. Didn't say a word to me, while I'm on the opposite side drinking alone. That really upset me, that they didn't think to include me as they socialized. I'm used to traveling alone, but honestly if I had known I was going to be the only guest I wouldn't have gone. Most likely because of the election, so I can't blame the lodge.

Now, as for the actual events, I did the 2-night 1-day package which included the jungle trek and a trip to the cave for a swim. The jungle trek was pretty great. The guide was very knowledgable and had a great sense of humour. We learned about a bunch of plants, and crawled deep into a cave filled with bats and tarantulas! Awesome!

Next was supposed to be the swim at a bigger cave, but it being election day, the cave was closed. The manager instead arranged a trip to Napo, the neighboring town. We got to see lots of monkeys that hang out at the park in Misahaulli. Very cool. Then rode a canoe down the river to a small village of Awasul, where we met some Quitan natives that showed us a dance and told us of their culture. Pretty pleased with the events of the day.

That night I again I had a lonely dinner. Then later I met Pablo, the owner, and his *lovely* wife. Now they were some really, really good people. One of the first things Pablo said was sorry that no one else was around. That made me feel SO much better. We continued to drink and have some laughs for the remainder of the night, I *thoroughly* enjoyed his and her company. They live in Quito, so it was by chance that they happened to be there that night. It was because of them that I left the lodge with a smile on my face.

So basically, I may have traveled alone, I just feel the staff (except for the owner) could have been more hospitable, considering. For me, it really put a damper on the whole experience. And as much as I enjoyed the hike and trip to Napo, I just don't think it was worth half a grand. The private transportation to/from Quito (combined 8 hours) was an entire $225, which I feel is way overpriced. You can go from Miami to New York (18 hours) for $225, and that's with gas at over $4 a gallon. Gas is much cheaper in Ecuador. Some other nearby lodges were asking for as little as $30. So if you took out that cost, then yes, it was worth it. You can always take the bus, which is only $7 I think, but it takes a lot longer. I simply didn't have the time.

So if you're with a group, want a good introduction into what Amazonia has to offer, without going all out deep into the rainforest, then this lodge will do great for you. Thank you Pablo for turning things around for me.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
PMH10, Propietario at Huasquila Amazon Lodge, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your review. For us too it was very nice to get to know you. We are very sorry you were our only guest that night. As you might have noticed, we were expecting seven other guests that night, but on the way there one of them got really sick on the way there and they send us an email 9pm, that night saying that they were not going to make it....

We are very sorry the staff did not integrate you more that night. The kichwa culture is very shy and they probably didn´t know how to approach you more. Also most of our staff was not present that day, since it was election day and they had taken the weekend off.

As for the cost of the transfer, as Pablo had told you before your arrival, the private transfer is 220 USD roundtrip and is the same cost for 1 or 4 passengers (Which includes a private driver to wait for you at the airport). There are other options to get to Huasquila which is by bus for a cost of 7 USD and another 4 USD for the Taxi from Cotundo. For this however you first have to get to the Quitumbe Bus station which is located in the southern part of the city (from the new airport about 2 1/2 hours) and then another 6 hours to get to Cotundo. In your case this was not an option, since you did not have enough time and had to leave 4 am in the morning from the lodge.
It is important to notice that it was explained that there is the possibility to take a shared taxi for 40 USD round trip from Cotundo, but they only leave at certain times and you need a fix address for them to pick you up and you have to arrange this on your own the day before departure (So they make sure to have enough passengers to leave). In your case this was not an option either, since you needed to be at the airport 8am.

We are glad to hear your overall experience at Huasquila was good and hope to have you back one day to keep chatting!
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the lodge for two nights from 13 Nov 2012 onwards. We booked our stay prior to our departure from the UK and found the information on the website and booking process very easy. Our pick up from Quito arrived early at the pre-arranged pick up point. Everything from our pick up to our drop off was incredibly smooth and well organised. The food at the lodge was fantastic and so was the accommodation. During our first morning we hiked through the rainforest with hose who was incredibly knowledgable about the plants in the forest and their uses. Hose gave several practical demonstrations in the forest which were fascinating. All the staff were incredibly friendly and always keen to help. We only wished we had more time to stay longer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Crawford289
Thank you for your wonderful review! WE are very happy you ejoyed your stay with us! We hope to have you back one day!

Pablo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cotundo
Tapir Lodge
#1 of 55 in Napo Province
Hamadryade Lodge
Hamadryade Lodge
#12 of 29 in Tena

Been to Huasquila Amazon Lodge? Share your experiences!