“Incredible Value... A true gem.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Minden
The Highlands Motel & Lodge
Ranked #1 of 8 Minden B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I travel for work frequently and stay at a lot of motels, lodges and B and Bs across South Eastern Ontario. I have not yet taken the time to write a single review about any of them because they have all so far been average.... with this place being the exception. The Highlands Motel was nothing short of excellent. After reading numerous reviews online about this spot I decided to give it a try for my work week. Never before have I seen such value at such a great rate!

The owners clearly take a lot of pride in their work. There is attention to detail everywhere and the accommodations were great. The room has everything you need... The wifi is fast, there is a new coffee maker, refrigerator, alarm clock, there is chocolates waiting for you on your arrival. The style feels like a home away from home... everything has a cottagy and cozy feel. I met with one of the owners (Paul) and he was a great individual. Very friendly and accommodating.

The motel is is situated in a great place... it is just a bit out of Carnarvon and so there is lots of great places to eat and stuff to do near by (there is also gas, stores, lcbo, ex near). A private beach is basically 2 mins walk away and lots of trails are right on site! Furthermore, the access to the cabin and the grounds was fantastic! Not only was the room more the enough for my stay... you get access to the cabin at all times. The cabin has a fully loaded kitchen, dining area, bar area, fireplace, and even a foosball table.

I will definitely be coming back and recommending this place to my friends and family! If you are reading this review I recommend you book and see this place for yourself!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 4, 2014

After having stayed for one night in September, we vowed to return with friends in the winter. When one couple suggested they wanted to go to Haliburton for the Family Day weekend, we convinced them to choose the Highlands, and one couple soon turned into five. A fabulous winter weekend ensued, as skiing, snowshoeing,and good restaurants were all within easy reach. The 'Clubhouse' provided a great central meeting place, eating place, and venue for cheering on our Canadian Olympians! Our hosts were so accommodating, anything we needed was on hand, and Paul even took the time, with great personal effort, to blow the snow off the pond so that a few kids and an old guy could have a blast on skates. In all, a clean, fun place to stay, near lots of activities and amenities in the beautiful Highlands of Haliburton, run by a great couple that couldn't do enough for their guests!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We have stayed at this great motel numerous times over the past 8 years and have never been disappointed. Over the last three years we have seen many improvements to the room and especially the Lodge which is a kitchen, dining and entertainment room for the use of all guests.

The owners, who live on site, are very attentive and no details are missed. Clean and comfortable, always!

The location of the motel near to the intersection of HWYs 35 and 118 give easy access to great cross country ski areas, restaurants, and many art studios.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The property is very well cared for and is an obvious source of pride for the owners. Everything in the room was very good quality and spotlessly clean. Details - chocolate on the pillow, proper lighting, Keurig coffee machine. Friendly, helpful front counter. Stayed in a motel room that worked out great!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We spent a couple of days in the loft after our wedding. The owners, Pali and Dora couldn't have been nicer. They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and at home. Our unit was spotlessly clean, cozy and homey. We had a wonderful time!!!! We couldn't have imagined having our honeymoon anywhere else and we hope to return for our anniversaries! :-) We definitely recommend this motel for everyone!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nikolett T
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here while up in the area for a wedding. As we were a family staying together, we booked the cottage as well as one of the standard rooms.
Cottage was great at roomy and would comfortably sleep 5 (double bed, pull out futon bottom bunk, top single bunk). Good sized full kitchen for all meals that comes with dishes and utensils. Bathroom/shower on the smaller size, but manageable.
Standard room was basic, nothing special but sufficient and slept two comfortably with a 3rd on a cot.
Rooms clean, no stains, dirt, pests, etc. Chocolates on pillows upon arrival, plenty of towels in the bathrooms, even a full tin of coffee and tea in the kitchen.
Check-in/check-out very smooth, no issues, everything in order and as booked. Plenty of parking. Didn't notice any food options on site, but a few local restaurants in the area, one within walking distance, others a short drive.
Nice quaint little place, no issues, would stay here again if I found myself up in this area.

Room Tip: Try the Cottage!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a very last minute place to stay to go to the Muskokas to see the autumn leaves. Based on reviews I found on this site we booked the Loft. What a hidden gem! My husband and I had a wonderful time and the hosts were very accommodating.

I read a review that mentioned not to be fooled by the motel's website and I agree 100%. If I had seen the website before checking out Tripadvisor.com I probably wouldn't have booked with the room so I am very grateful to the person that wrote that. The website could use some major help, but the Loft is amazing!

The Loft would also be a wonderful place to go for a girls weekend (for about 5-6). I'm hoping to get some GF's together to go there for some fun!

I highly recommend the loft at The Highlands Motel! Very lovely and spotless!

Room Tip: Definitely book the Loft. There is also a cottage on the premises that may be great, wish I checked...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minden
Bonnie View Inn
Red Umbrella Inn
Red Umbrella Inn
#3 of 8 in Minden
Ogopogo Resort on Mountain Lake

Been to The Highlands Motel & Lodge? Share your experiences!