“I didn't expect to enjoy a vegetarian restaurant as much”

The Tate Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Farnham, Surrey, UK
“I didn't expect to enjoy a vegetarian restaurant as much”
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I dined here on three occasions during the space of a week, which is mind-boggling for me, a dedicated carnivore with a taste for shellfish. The service was excellent, the food beautifully presented and the staff obviously passionate about food (who can resist a young waitress who advises you firmly on choice of dessert). I mostly hit the pasta side of the main courses, and was very happy with the quality and portion size. The only thing I might have wanted over and above was the same level of service with shellfish on the menu.

• Visited August 2013

• Greek first
Bugibba, Malta
“Cheese Salad for a Cheese Platter”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Since when has a Cheese platter named "French Lovers" (Oh my goodness how dramatic), become a cheese salad? When we normally go to a wine bar and order a cheese platter, we normally get a platter of CHEESE (A variety of more than 2 such as parmesan, pecorino, gorgonzola, brie, sage cheese etc unlike this place), accompanied by fruits and nuts, grissini, a decent amount of bread, and Maltese galletti. Here at Tate, we were served a plateful of oily lettuce, half a paper thin sliced apple, paper thin kiwi and cucumber slices, carrots, lollo rosso, tomato and garnish... oh and yes I almost forgot, 2 types of cheese (brie and red leicester), wafer thin slices, hidden amongst the forest of lettuce.... no not unnoticeable, almost not present! And 4 or 5 slices of Maltese bread and butter. WOW!

Service was ok... not too bad, not excellent either. Ambience beautiful.. but yes.... never again! better to get my own cheese and wine and stay at home or else go to a WINE bar which serves a proper CHEESE PLATTER.

• Visited August 2013
london
“A real gem in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My son and I were on a ghost walk in Birgu last Friday and had little time to have a meal. We noticed this restaurant did snacks and the waitress was very accommodating to feed us in the amount of time we had. We said we would come back for a proper meal. Unfortunately, we had no time as the walk went on longer than expected.

We returned to Birgu on Sunday as we loved the area and wanted to see it in the daytime. We also wanted to go back to this restaurant for our dinner. We returned and after looking through the menu we soon realised that it was vegetarian, no problem I love veggie food. The choices were delicious - I had a jacket potato with red and green peppers, cherry toms, onions mixed with mozzarella cheese and a huge side salad - extremely tasty I was delighted. MY son had a Rock and Roll pizza which was a spicy Margarita - he thoroughly enjoyed it.

We will definitely go back as although its a 2 bus hike its well worth it.

I recommend you try it

Visited August 2013
Malta
“Love it!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I just love going to this place, the food is reasonable, the service is good and the view is just outstanding.
The Manager Charles is just so friendly and he makes sure that you enjoy every min of your stay at Tate.
What else do you want...

• Visited July 2013
Malta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Finally a vegetarian restaurant in Malta”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Loved this place. Been waiting to get back to Malta to try it out. Being a vegetarian in Malta is very difficult when you go eat outside. But finally there is Tate, and its my salvation.

We had the indian platter for starter. only the samosas i can associate with indian food. the onion rings and spring rolls are certainly not, but they were good and not oily. when i asked for some more sweet & sour sauce, i was happy it was immediately given.

For main my husband had the fried noodles - kind of chowmein. Very very tasty, the only thing missing was some shredded cabbage. I took the creamy mushrooms. Also very nice with lots of mushrooms. The portions were too big though given we had taken a starter.

I wish they could include more indian dishes, like curries with rice and naan and some dal soups.

Prices are slightly higher than i expected, but it was worth it considering the view, the setting and the waitress, which was very pleasant and welcoming. Will go again.

• Visited July 2013