“Something different...with quality”
Review of Taverna Sugu - CLOSED

Taverna Sugu
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Taverna Sugu serves Maltese food (which is not in your list BTW) and it has been reviewed in MaltaToday it seems -- http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/food_travel/restaurants/degustation-menu-launched-at-taverna-sugu
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Though not very keen of Maltese cuisine in the traditional sense (i.e. restaurants serving what is considered as traditional Maltese food) I was surprised at the originality, quality and - I would say also quantity when considering the 6 or 7 ourse tasting menu....
In Malta, where everywhere is very close...there are few places that seem to be 'hidden away' and Taverna Sugu also fits the bill..
So..you will definitely not be disappointed..if you're looking 'something different' - a nice walk at the Birgu Waterfront...and in 7-8 minutes you are at Taverna Sugu.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Excellent food, with a modern take on traditional dishes in a lovely quiet setting. I don't think there is anywhere better on the island if you want to try traditional Maltese food. The service is efficient and the host excellent. The degustation menu at 15 Euro is unbelievably good value!

Will be back!

Reviewed April 28, 2012

If you enjoy good food and are visiting Malta, you must take the opportunity to eat at David Darminin's excellent restaurant. In my view this should be in the guide books as a major Maltese attraction. Four of us ate at this restaurant, with my wife and I selecting the 7 course tasting menu, supplements by a further couple of dishes. The food was fresh, tasty, varied and Maltese but with a sophisticated edge. I read an earlier review which suggested the tasting menu delivered insufficient food, hence the extra dishes ordered. I can only suggest that the reviewer must be clinically obese and should immediately visit a doctor, as the amount of food would be more than sufficient for anyone with a normal appetite.

We were amazingly the only people eating at the restaurant for this midweek evening meal. As a result we were entertained by the most interesting owner/chef, David Darmanin. He clearly loves his profession. His presence, together with the food and excellent Maltese wine really made this meal a star attraction of our few days in Malta.

To crown it all, the price of the meal was ridiculously cheap - I estimate in England it would be more than double what we paid.

Overall - a great night out.

1  Thank tpt4
Reviewed April 24, 2012

This is genuine food made with love by the owner - David. The welcome is warm and heartfelt and there is real pride in the local food being served. Vegetarians can be catered for. This place offers essentially a tasting menu (fixed) with a few side options so bear this in mind. The artichoke soufflé and beautiful Easter figolini for dessert were the highlight. Not everything is a masterful accomplishment but most is and I would definitely come back. On the night the music was a tad too loud and the group next to us had real trouble grasping the concept of a tasting menu which meant for a lot of annoying toing and froing but things got better after a while. If you are in Birgu this place is a must.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

David Darmanin is a trained chef who decided to open this shop whose speciality is traditional Maltese and Mediterranean dishes cooked simply but well. I have been there on several occasions and it's always been a great experience. It verges on pricey, but the focus on ingredients David has is well worth what you pay for. I would recommend the degustation menu for your first visit, it's one of the better ways to sample Maltese foods and wine, and a fun outing in itself. The menu has changed since I last went, and the basic degustation (sans the wine) is €15, which I would say is good value. I would recommend booking or asking if the restaurant is open as usual, as sometimes David organises special events in the restaurant, which is quite small.

1  Thank thisusernamewastaken