I stayed in room 228 for five nights from 12th December 2013, then four nights at San Seb. I booked the accommodation with Travel Republic. I paid £57 per night for one person B and B, not a cheap place to stay. Room Service was relaxed, shall we say. Sheets and towels changed twice a week I think. Clothes drying rail on balcony. Good, powerful shower.
Points to note:
1. Good breakfast, friendly cook. It certainly helps if you can speak some Spanish.
2. Across the road from Baby Beach, where people were swimming.
3. Nice breakfast room and pool area was quite attractive.
4. No bar.
5. Great sunsets.
6. Reception area looked pretty ordinary. Could do with smartening up.
7. Just 50 metres from the bus stop for San Sebastian (5 euros) via Arure (2 euro). The 8am bus is very popular with walkers. There are two 8am buses, The first one is straight through to San Seb, and is followed by the stopping bus for walkers. Another bus passes at 1pm. Bus to San Seb takes about 1h45m. Taxi takes 1h, and costs about 55 euro. It’ll scare the pants off you!
8. The walk down from Aruru to Valle Gran Rey is a great introduction to walking on La Gomera.
9. The walking on La Gomera is first rate. You will need a walking pole, and the Tour and Trail map and the Walk! La Gomera guide book, which I thought was much better than the Sunflower book
10. La Crema ice cream parlour next door to the hotel is good value and the best ice cream locally.
11. 15 minute walk to La Calera for good range of restaurants and a strong hippy vibe. Another 5 minute walk to the nudist beach at Playa del Ingles. Rocky beach. Very rough sea, unsafe to swim.
12. Walk to harbour and round headland (signposted as liable to landslides) to very interesting Fruit Garden. See my TripAd review. Continue walking up to the waterfall. It gets very steep after that.
13. Valle Gran Rey is the most popular resort on la Gomera, but still very peaceful compared with other Canary Islands.
14. Notes about getting there: I took the Fred. Olsen ferry from Los Christianos in Tenerife, booked on Direct Ferries website. You have to exchange the online ticket for a boarding card at the Port. The ferry takes 50 minutes. The Port at San Seb is a brisk 5 minutes walk from the Estacion de GuaGuas (bus station). Google buses on gomera for a timetable.
15. You’ll love La Gomera. I certainly did.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Jardin del Conde reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jardin Del Conde Hotel La Gomera
- Jardin Del Conde Gomera
- Jardin Del Conde La Gomera/Valle Gran Rey