“Amazing experience!”

Ocean Explorations Whale Cruises
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Tiverton
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean Explorations Zodiac Whale Cruises is the maritimes ORGINAL Zodiac ("ocean rafting") whale/seabird adventure! Celebrating 25+ seasons, founded by biologist Tom Goodwin, in 1986! "one of the best" (Lonely Planet) and the most recommended by accomodation providers in the area. Ask them "who is the BEST?" and go with THEM (ie.we'll see you then)
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This whale watching tour was booked through our Bed and Breakfast (Harbourview Inn) that we stayed at and we were so pleased with it. Tom was friendly, knowledgeable and happy to answer all questions. We saw puffins, porpoises, seals and followed 3 humpback whales for about 45 minutes. It was amazing. I would recommend bringing a hat and gloves.

tivertontom59, Owner at Ocean Explorations Whale Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thanks! and you are right, hats and gloves are a good idea, especially in cooler months of June and Sept-October! ... WE provide hats & gloves and even camera bags of all sizes in case you don't have this stuff on your "summer" vacation! ;-) and BTW readers, it is cooler out on the water than most people anticipate, so long pants and a sweatshirt, even in hotter July to August!

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"intimate experience"
"water level"

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful time....Tom the captain and with many years of experience showed us an awesome time, safety comes first,then took us out to find some whales...sharing his knowledge of birds,whales- Minks,humpback,seals...etc. Although the Minks where playing hide and seek with us seeing plenty but they were very shy! Sour Captain Tom took us out deeper, setting off far and wide about 30 mins later there they were...3 humpback whales just cursing along minding their own business....all on board just fascinated!!..thanks for the cruise around Tom highly recommended!!

1  Thank BugzyOverbsy
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Captain Tom is a marine Biologist and last year added another Beautiful zodiac which is fast and smooth and able to cover a lot of territory in a short period of time. He has two of these out usually at the same time and they are in constant touch with each other and has more eyes on the water so as to find the whales quickly and then take turns with the other craft getting in close.
I have gone with Tom many times as I owned a campground for several years and my experience was that Tom was very successful at finding the whales I would send my customers to his shop for great safety equipment and a better chance to see whales. My customers were always satisfied. I actually have only been out once with him that we didn't find a whale and that was at a time when a heavy fog rolled in and we couldn't see more than a few feet.I have been with him on other foggy days and he will stop the boat in an area he knows have been good spots on an earlier trip out and he cuts the engine. we stay quiet and suddenly he can hear the water spout and off he goes and finds the whales This has happened on 3 or 4 occasions so I know it's not luck. When you are in a Zodiac and see the whales it is awesome as you are at water level and the sightings are very personal I feel I have seen humpbacks go right under the boat. Right Whales are my favourite and he always will take you to see the seals on the way out or on the way back. He also Identifies any number of dolphins, sharks or other fish. He is safety oriented at all times and you come away feeling great about your experience.

3  Thank honeyhead
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I had planned this trip without telling my husband - and he was a little unsure of it up until we got in the zodiac and started... We had an absolutely wonderful time! Tom was a wonderful host and guided us to the best spots for whale watching, all the time sharing stories and information about what we were seeing - we saw 2 humpback Moms and 3 calves; some sole humpbacks and minke whales. It was one of the best excursions we have ever had! I heartly recommend Ocean Explorers and Tom for anyone who wants to see whales in Tiverton.

1  Thank Debbwolf
See more reviews
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We signed up for this trip because it seemed that this company promised that we would see lots of whales. We traveled from Mahone Bay on the southshore just to have the full experience. We were sort of disappointed.

The trip took about 2hours. After quite awhile, we spotted one whale. We stayed in one spot for nearly an hour. During that time we saw a whale coming out from the water every 10mins so. We only saw the whale's tail. Then all of the sudden, the radio informed us that there were two whales nearby, so we went there next. There was a mother and calf staying on the surface. It was very exciting but we had barely 10 minutes before we were told that we had to go to let other boats nearby see the whales.

It seems that the owner had no problem staying with the first whale for more than 45 mins. Later we found out that the owner wanted to rush back to get another group. Their web site promises a 2-3 hour trip and we finished in exactly two hours.

1  Thank raingodess
tivertontom59, Owner at Ocean Explorations Whale Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

*** mis-identified property*** This was NOT with Ocean Explorations. I can NOT get this reviewer to even answer my emails (one week) AND Tripadvisor does not seem concerned enough with mis-identified reviews, to verify with reviewer. This review must be for another business as none of our tours are only 2 hours. Another operator in our area has shorter 2- 2.5 (3?) hour tours. We HAVE been mis-identified before but reviewer removed it.