“There's better out there.”

Patrick's on the Beach
Ranked #8 of 41 Siargao Island B&B and Inns
Quezon City, Philippines
“There's better out there.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I guess there were some red flags as soon as we were picked up at the port but we were determined to enjoy ourselves that we shrugged them off until we ran into bugs.

First off, when the resort service fetched us at the port, the driver stopped for about 10-15 minutes at a house/fruit stand. I don't necessarily know what we were waiting for there, but I saw the driver's companion come back eating a mango. I guess we weren't there to get gas.

Cleanliness-wise, I know it's supposed to be an affordable, island-themed resort but I was kind of expecting to be much cleaner. It seemed like the whole place needed more dusting and fresh coat of paint, and the plants were a bit overgrown to the point that they were obscuring signage.

The room itself was pretty spartan. It had a double bed, an old-style airconditioner, a mini refrigerator, a few shelves, and a place to hang clothes. You could also get WiFi from the cafe. Now in concept, the room being sparse wouldn't have been too much of a problem but there was a faint smell of rotted wood. Additionally, when we came back from walking around town, we saw some bugs on the bed (sort of like, winged ants). If it was just one or two, I might have let it slip but six or seven (that we saw) scattered around the bed was too much for me.

It was also unfortunate that the tour boat was out of service when we got there as we were planning on taking a tour, and we did express this desire when we made the booking. But, while we were making arrangements about our arrival at the port (etc) they didn't really mention anything about the boat being repaired. I suppose that's fine, if it didn't really occur to them that we were actually interested in a tour? Either way, when we asked the concierge about there not being a boat, we asked about WHERE we could find someone to take us and she was pretty vague about her answers. I would at least expect her to help us find a local boatman to take us to Bucas Grande or give us other options. In the end, we had to ask another resort to help us out.

Service-wise, our experience wasn't too good. While the kitchen and waitstaff were friendly, whenever we asked something about things on the menu, the waitress had to go back to the kitchen to ask about it. Most of the staff was in the kitchen, too, so when we were seated in the cafe/bar, no one noticed us until a long-staying GUEST finally approached us to take our order which he relayed to the kitchen staff.

The food was a little expensive for the portion sizes and well, I guess the corned beef I had was redder than I was comfortable with. I hope that was tomato sauce and not just red food coloring.

One good thing was the Yohoho rum. I ordered a shot of it and it was very good. I was hoping to buy a bottle or two of it but the lady at the front desk was sort of unfriendly and so I opted not to.

I'm hoping, of course, that we just came on a bad date or something. I'm not saying that Patrick's is horrible. I just think that if you're staying for a short time and want a very relaxing experience, you're probably better off at another one of the resorts in the area. The long-staying guests seemed to be enjoying themselves however. Actually, maybe that's the idea. This is probably a good place to stay if you're staying for several weeks or so. The price isn't so bad (when it's on sale. Otherwise, it's the same as other resorts in Siargao) and I think Patrick's is pretty laid back - one might even say they're a little too laid back.

Oh and by the way, I don't know if it was the month for it but the waters in the beach had some little white critters that pinched like crazy so be careful when you go.

Room Tip: Maybe choose the treehouse. You could at least get a scenic view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank vcalma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Kristiansand, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We where there for about one week. We had the chance to get to know Andreas and Elizabeth who is the owner`s of this resort and the rest of the staff.
They are very friendly and speak good english.

During our stay we where living in both the amazing treehouse and the beach cottage.
Both have a good standard and is kept clean at all times by the cleaning staff.

We went to several of the island hopping trips they are advertising on their website. They took us to many amazing places. You find places like this all over the philippines but here you are almost alone and there is almost non tourist. That made it all feel more peaceful and relaxing.

They are also very flexible about these trips. You can pick and choose as you wish and they will make it happend. They even have 4-5 days long expeditions a few times every year.

The food at their restaurant was also very good and they have alot of choise`s.

Room Tip: Go for the one of a kind Treehouse.
3 Thank Kjell1986
Oslo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Complete ripoff compard to the rest of the Phillipines and other resorts in the General Luna aera. It 's not a resort, it's a backpackers place with poor service and a poor restaurant. You also have to share the place with local hangarounds and kids, witch is what you expect from a ceap backpackers place but not a 1800 pesos "resort" (as they like to call it).

Room Tip: Don't go for the "nice" tree top cottage, (unless you like hot humid nights and like t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank olebe
Iloilo City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

great staff, very accommodating. Andreas and Elizabeth made sure all our needs were attended. It was very easy make reservations with them. The resort offers a lot of services, including surf lessons and island tours, and serve good food. :) All you need to experience Siargao in a very relaxed way is in Patrick's.

Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Wicked! Stoked till now with the yoho lagoon trip and the yoho rum!
Stayed for 3 days, food was great- anything you want, they will cook it.
Start the day with their freshly brewed coffee and omelette, then go surfing.
They can hook you up with locales who know where the best breaks are.

Now, Andre (mainman), where's my bottle o rum?

2 Thank Rizz_VD_Navarro
Surigao City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Patrick and Elizabeth and their efficient smiling staff make you feel very welcome indeed .... is easy to stay much longer than planned in such a wonderful place. The excellent food, well organised day trips, and YoHoHo mango rum are just icing on the cake. I will definitely go back there again next time I am in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked to stay for 5 nights initially however after spending time with the owner Andreas, his wife Elizabeth and his beautiful children we couldn't help but stay an additional 6 nights. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, the food is fantastic! (I'm a chef). We were fortunate enough to go on 2 tours during our stay; Yohoho blue lagoon and caves and the other Lajanosa. Both were extremely fun days and everything is professionally organised! Plenty of beer :) and great food! All in all I cannot speak highly enough of Patricks on the Beach, we had an unforgettable time and felt so welcome from the moment we walked in!
Thank you so much to everyone at Patricks, we shall be back ASAP!

• Stayed April 2013