“A Paradise in Paradise”

Buddha's Surf Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Siargao Island
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I went to buddha's 15 days after the big typhoon haigan and hoped to find everything ok, and that was exactly what I found, no sign of the all mighty haigan, Siargao had no damage and everything was functioning just fine.
About the Buddha's resort.
Just one word AMAZING.
Specially the staff and a particular mention to Marlo, Bebé, Jing Jing and Ya Ya, they really deserve it for the fantastic time they made us pass in Buddha's
Salamat cayo guys

One thing I'm sure
I'll be back

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Fantastic place to stay. Super friendly staff and very accommodating manager, nothing was too much trouble. Helped organise twice daily boats out to all the best surf spots on the day. Grab a hubble-hubble out the front down to cloud nine in 2min. Rooms are great value, large, clean, modern set in nice gardens. This place was a real treat, originally booked in for 2 days but liked it so much I stayed 10. Fresh coconuts on Tap, Delicious fresh fish out the kitchen and the BBQ gets fired up several times a week. Looking forward to getting back to Buddha surf in 2014. Everything I hoped it would be and much more. No pool but why would you want one when there is a gorgeous turquoise ocean on your door step

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Matt H
Reviewed December 13, 2013

If you happen to go to Siargao, be sure to stay in Bhudda surf resort.

cozy, layback atmosphear, wonderfull staff, great food.

by the way, we have been there after the super typhoon Haiyanan and I can ensure that this island was not afected by it.

again Salamat to Marlo, Bebe, ya ya and jing jing

we will be back :-)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I stayed at Buddha's for 5 days recently as part of a short vacation to get away and take some surf lessons. Buddha's surf resort provided high quality lodging at a moderate price. Buddha's is not a 5 star resort, but it is not meant to be a 5 star resort. The reason most of the persons are at Buddha's is surfing and they want a clean comfortable place to lay their heads at the end of the day with a nice restaurant where you can have good food at a decent price along with a few beers. The owner/manager, Ashley, did a good job of finding me a surf instructor. The onsite restaurant had a good selection of tasty food at moderate prices (I ate at Buddha's 95% of the time). Do not expect speedy service, but the food does eventually arrive and it is was pretty good. This is not a backpacker joint, all the folks staying here were professionals looking to do some surfing with some on an extended vacation

Room Tip: There is one room on the second floor that might be a bit bigger than the rest. Also has a nice bal...
Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Myself and two friends Stayed at buddha's for two periods during a four week surf trip on the Island. High quality accommodation wasn't a priority for us but Buddha's had the combination of being competitively priced and being well reviewed. It looked like we'd get a good deal AND a comfortable bed...

Our initial plan was to spend half our trip in the south of the island at Buddha's and the other half in the more remote north. However after leaving Buddha's after our first weeks stay we all quickly found ourselves pinning to return to Buddha's warm vibe, super comfy mattresses and Pani's cooking.

The calibre of the resort and service far surpassed all of our expectations. For our planned surf trip the idea of spending a lot of time hanging out in any 'resort' was insane - but the resort had everything. A mix of fresh hand prepared food and an excellent ambiance making it the perfect place to hang out and meet other travellers. The also resort hosts a variety of evenings, from special meals to the weekly open mic night where the resort really comes to life, attracting locals and other travellers to come hang out, drink cold beers, listen to live music and exchange the days surf stories.

The staff were constantly on hand ensuring we had everything we needed and always offered to assist us in organising any activities outside of the resort. Everything from boat rentals to massages could be arranged at the drop of a hat. The owner Ash is clearly well plugged into the island and has a wealth of local knowledge to share, especially when it comes to what spots to surf and when. After spending a month traveling up and down the island, scouting out other venues and resorts, I'm confident we picked the best place to stay. Staying at buddhas took what would've been an excellent surf trip and turned it into something special.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chris B
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I think this hotel resort is slightly over rated in reviews.
We stayed here for a few nights. The room is Ok, the toilet works and the shower works( but just)
The staff are friendly for sure but the service in the restaurant is very slow indeed.
The next door La Luna had certainly a better restaurant.
We looked into some other resorts along the road to Cloud 9 and our impressions that there are several better choices than Buddah. Specially with seaview wich is nice when staying on an Islans resort. In short Buddah is not bad but far from being among the best between General Luna and Cloude 9.

Room Tip: Rooms seem to be same except one big family room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Peter19502013
ashleychar1es, Owner at Buddha's Surf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for your valuable feedback, which I would like to have the opportunity to comment on.

We were surprised regarding your comments on the showers, this was not raised as a specific concern and they are a European brand of a high standard with good water pressure.

Regarding the restaurant, we apologize if you felt the service was slower than expected, but the restaurant is popular, and at busy times due to the fact that all our food is freshly prepared, a delay can be inevitable. This is something we are working hard to improve.

We appreciate there are higher end resorts with sea views, but you will find this is reflected in the price, which is not as competitive or as reasonable as we can offer.

We are sorry your overall view of Siargao wasn't as favorable as the majority of our previous guests, this may be reflective of your original expectations of the area as a whole.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Sitting close to the famous cloud 9 surfing resort on the paradisal island of Siargao, Buddha Surf Resort truly makes travelling to the island that much more special.

The rooms at the resort overlook a beautifully well-kept garden that is surrounded by large palm trees and a volleyball net. My room had a large, very comfy bed compete with clean sheets and towels each day and a separate en-suite shower room. A deck chair sits outside the room for those times when you want to sit back and just relax. There is a restaurant with a large seating area that serves a large menu of amazing food throughout the day (I would definitely recommend the 'surfer's breakfast!') and a space to store your motorbike, which are available to rent from the resort. In addition to this are surfboards to hire along with experienced local surfing instructors, who helped me improve my surfing enormously during my time there. Wifi internet is also a welcome addition for those wishing to catch up on emails or keep in touch with friends and family.

Several evenings were put on at the resort during my time there, of which the acoustic night was one of the highlights. Locals and travellers from around the island came together for a fun chilled-out evening in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere. The resort owner, Ashley, worked tirelessly during my time there to ensure I enjoyed as much of the island as possible. His extensive knowledge of the island proved invaluable to my trip and left me wanting to stay and do more. I would definitely recommend a trip out to one of the many tiny islands dotted around Siargao and spend a day relaxing on the white sandy beaches with water so clear you can see the fish swim between your feet.

Whether you're a surf bum, a keen traveller or on a family holiday, if you plan on visiting the Philippines, make sure you pass through the beautiful island of Siargao and rely on Buddha Surf Resort to make your stay an unforgettable one. I'm already counting down the days till my next trip back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo