“Spacious rooms”

Hilton Namhae Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Namhae-gun
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I'm a little conflicted about this resort. The rooms and the setting were spectacular. Namhae Island is not overrun with tourists and very worth exploring. I felt the hotel grounds lacked the attention they deserved, but we noticed landscaping is not that important to Korean culture. If you do want to see some beautiful landscaping visit a Buddist monastery, there are some very remote ones on Namhae well worth the effort of the drive or climb.

We were at the end of a long trip throughout Korea and much as we appreciate eating the local food we were in need of a little western style cuisine by the time we got here. They didn't quite get that right, but then why should they? I'd stick with Korean food next time.

Overall, if you want the over the top pampering of a high end resort you may be disappointed, but if your looking for a very comfortable and modern hotel in Korea this fits the bill.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This resort is beautiful! Situated on the ocean, a nice convenience store with fruits on the lower level, plus arcades game rooms for the kids. Our spacious room on a high floor faced the front of the property rather than the ocean, but was quiet, clean, large, had a small balcony, and was equipped with more handheld remote controls for lights, TV, and air conditioning than we had ever seen. We took numerous walks along the ocean, and along the beach. Sunsets here are fabulous. The golf course looked a bit challenging, because there are hills all around.

The staff people, some of whom spoke more English than others, were extremely helpful when I misplaced my room key after they had figured out I was already checked in. This seems to be a popular place for families with children and golfers, as well as older people. The food was OK - nothing to write home about, though. We enjoyed the restful atmosphere very much and would absolutely return.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean-view room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2012

No doubt this hotel is located in a very remote but absolutely stunning location. The architecture of the main building is very interesting and innovative. The rooms are in fact studio's or appartments and are "King Size". The majority of the staff was able to serve in English. The golf course is really nice. No doubt maintaining a resort such as this is a major challenge. A bit more eye for detail would serve this resort well. Some of the furniture in the rooms would need to be upgrade/renewed/repaired. As the rooms are disconnected from the main building, why is there no umbrella in the rooms? As the architecture was progressive at time of construction, there is a danger that some of the used material are "dated"... However overall this is a stunning resort is worth the trip. In fact this area can definitely challenge Jeju as a top desitination as well. I will try to come back to this place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PCD63
SoonBeomK, Manager at Hilton Namhae Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also, I am happy to hear that you like the architecture of the main building and stunning view around the resort. Indeed, we receive very positive feedback from our guests about the design of main building.
On the other hand, I am sorry to hear that some of aspect in room furniture does not meet your expectation. We are continually working on room improvement to meet and exceed guest expectation.
Again, thank you very much for your time. The team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Hilton Namhae!

Best regards,
Soon Beom Kwon (BK)
Operations Manager

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Hilton Namhae Resort is beautiful nestled in between rice-paddy terraced mountains and the southern coastline of Korea. The pool and surrounding area with cafe provided a great location to relax and read a book, particularly during the stunning sunsets. Also, lovely rooms designed for comfort and to maximise the gorgeous view.

We had mixed experiences with the staff. The concierge was excellent in organising a local hire car for a day and organising bus shuttles to the port to take the ferry to the Yeosu Expo. The staff at the restaurant were friendly and helpful. Room service was disappointing, taking over an hour to arrive mid-week and requiring to be reheated as the burger and chips were cold yet the spaghetti was piping hot.

The staff at the reception were friendly but generally unable to help with simple requests. For instance, we wanted to organise a day trip on a bus touring the islands. Other than provide us phone numbers for Korean-language only tour companies, they had no other information to provide on tour options. Having experienced tours in Korea that are very full-packed and stressful, we were unwilling to make a booking without knowing the itinerary. Despite explaining our situation and preference, the receptionists just apologised and starred at us blankly. Our conclusion: they were certainly not problem solvers or able to look outside their narrow definition of customer service.

Similarly, we wanted to book a couples massage at the spa. This was on a list provided by the reception, but they were unable to help in explaining the options or even booking a time. Instead, we had to walk outside to the spa reception, where they told us we were not able to book a couples massage for two days. The place was huge but empty. We couldn't understand. The receptionist explained that they only had one masseuse at a time. When we asked how one masseuse could care for all the hotel guests, she starred at us blankly and apologised. Obviously, the hotel had outsourced the 'spa' part to a separate company. As non golf players, this was quite disappointing for us. Over two days we were unable to utilise the spa services we wanted to, so we rate it per the title of the review more a Korean-style jimjlbang (hot bath) than a spa. Also, the resort would benefit from having a gym/fitness centre.

So overall, a nice stay but quite lacking in customer service outside the standard requests and the services expected of an internationally registered spa resort. We would hope that staff on the reception had more local knowledge of the area and tour options so guests can make the most of their time in this very pretty, special part of Korea.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We checked in on Friday night and are leaving on Sunday. We flew down from Seoul -- unlike most of the other guests, we were not here to play golf or to go to the Yeosu Expo which is taking place a short 40 min. ferry ride away. Namhae is a beautiful set of islands full of fishing villages, many of which offer "experiences" like catching fish, octopus, clams, etc. for weekend visitors, mostly from Seoul, Busan or other major cities. My 6-yr. old being an avid fan of all thing mollusk, we were here to go to two different villages to catch fish and octopus.

We checked in late and went to Breezes, the main restaurant which has both Korean and Western dishes. It was a no-brainer that the Korean food would be more reliable than Western fare. This proved true since the couple next to us at dinner complained about their rack-of-lamb. I was not sure if the gentleman was quite in the right -- I overheard him say that he had rack-of-lamb many times and the meat should fall off the bone and that the lamb was too fatty. Whether he was right or not, the response of the staff was not quite right. They just took the dish back. I was not sure whether they still charged him for it. In any case, we ordered kimchee stew, some pork dishes and, of course, spicy octopus for my son. The octopus was just ok. The other two dishes were fine. There were only two problems with the dinner service. First, any time we asked the waiter for anything, he would say, "One moment, let me check." He was obviously inexperienced. And this was not a language issue, since we spoke to him in Korean. The other was promptness. After we ordered, we changed our minds about 15 min. later and asked if we could change one dish. The waiter told us that they did not start cooking our initial orders yet. Our dishes arrived about 30 min. later.

Breakfast the next day and dinner at the buffet in the same restaurant were fine. The selection during breakfast can be limited for Westerners. The omelettes are OK. The dinner buffet was also just OK. Basically the dining choices on Namhae are limited -- it's either go to a sashimi place or stick with the hotel restaurant. There is also a separate Japanese restaurant at the hotel -- never got a chance to try it.

The rooms itself was pleasant. I had some trepidation before I came here. I heard stories that this resort was really just another cookie-cutter Korean golf resort, and that the owner was really just borrowing the Hilton name. Perhaps this was the case before -- the way the villas are configured, you could tell that they were originally built as time-share units (what Koreans call condos). As such, they were very spacious with two bedrooms, two bathrooms. Many of the reviewers seem to be surprised that they got upgraded to these suites, but it appears most of the units in the resorts consist of these types of suites. They did some interior upgrading so it appears to look like a modern hotel room with wall to wall carpeting, beige and white color tones, wood panels everywhere, oh and the ubitious plastic set of amenities (qtips, small comb, shower cap, sewing kit) in the nicely refurbished bathroom. There is no WiFi but there is a LAN connection (not sure if it was free or not). There is also a small kitchenette with a small fridge.

All in all, if this was a regular resort, I would consider coming back here for future trips to the Namhae area. But I understand that there is a weird reservation system here -- non-Koreans pay far less and they have an easier timing booking this place. Koreans have to have membership with the resort, and if not, they vie for a couple of rooms which have to be reserved at midnight exactly one month before the planned date of stay. Not sure what's up with that. Also, the rates are on the exorbitant side - USD 600 a night for the Koreans.

Given the price and the hassle, and the inexperienced staff, I wavered and gave a 3 out of 5 rating.

I have to admit I was surprised that a Hilton resort would try to be so upscale. I had not stayed in a Hilton in years (I think the last time was in Paris) and I was surprised that they were trying as hard as they did with this resort. Even still, I wish this resort would be taken over by an Aman or at least Four Seasons or Banyan Tree, and run like a real resort -- it has the potential, without a membership system. There is so much to Namhae than just playing golf in front of the hotel. Either that, or they should lower the rates to around the USD 250-300 range. That would be a good price for these suites.

Room Tip: The suites are located in towers which all face towards the sea. We stayed in tower 10 on the third...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mohammedyu
DO-COL, General Manager at Hilton Namhae Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2012

Dear Mohammedyu,
thanks for your review and comments on Hilton Namhae Golf & Spa Resort. I appreciate your comments.
Allow me to clarify that Hilton Namhae can be booked by public through hilton . com like any other hotels and resort of the Hilton portfolio.
A membership is not compulsary for anyone, however it gives benefits if you plan to return regularly and play golf.
The one bed room studio suites at the resort are in the price range that you mentioned, however due to popular demand often booked out early.
I am looking forward of being of assistance when you plan your return to our resort.
Best regards, Stefano

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Anyone planning on visiting the Yeosu Expo 2012 will find that the Hilton Namhae is the best hotel in the region. As the other reviewers note, the setting is beautiful, the facilities top notch. The hotel manager, Stefano Ruzza, and his able team were extraordinarily helpful on all fronts. They have organized a shuttle bus to the ferry which takes about 30 minutes to get to the Expo, considerably reducing time and cost to reach the site. After a busy day at the Expo, the Hilton is a welcome home, indeed! Reaching Yeosu from Seoul is quite easy via the KXT (3 hours) or via the Yeosu Airport (50 min flight).

Room Tip: The rooms in the main hotel buildings all face west/southwest and have great views of the green hill...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ViajeroSFBayArea
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My husband and I were on a tour around Korean Peninsula with Hana Tour group.
We stopped by Namhae for the night and stayed at the Hilton resort.
It was a lovely experience. The dinner served at the restaurant was wonderful (I'm Korean so I know when I have good Korean food) and our room was spacious and comfortable. I believe this was the largest of all other hotels that we've stayed throughout the tour, and definitely my favorite. We had trouble with the tv and Hilton sent out their friendly staff within minutes to help us. There weren't too many attractions nearby, but that really didn't bother us at all.I would recommend Namhae hilton for someone who's looking for a relaxing short getaway.

Room Tip: I believe we had discount considering the tour group we traveled with. Hotel rates are typically hig...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Junnie
DO-COL, General Manager at Hilton Namhae Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

Dear Junnie,
thanks for your lovely note. I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your Korea Peninsula trip wit Hana Tour group.
Your comment acknowledging the friendliness of Hilton Namhae Team Members are very appreciated. Thanks also for your good comments on our Korean menu.
We have put a map outlining some nearby attractions at the lobby entrance, so on your next visit you will have plenty of places to explore! Best regards! Stefano

Also consider these accommodations in or near Namhae-gun
No photo provided
Namiltte Resort Hotel Elinus
Elena Hotel
Elena Hotel
#9 of 20 in Yeosu

Been to Hilton Namhae Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!