“Nice pleace in the middle of nowhere”
Review of W15 Escape

W15 Escape
Ranked #6 of 37 Ahangama B&B and Inns
Paris
“Nice pleace in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Three by TPV is a nice, private boutique (it's not a hotel, there's a sign on a front door saying that it's a private property etc, probably because of tax/license/law reasons? I don't really know). Just after getting to the place we were checked in by the owner of the facility, Swedish guy probably named Filip but I'm not sure. The hotel is rather small but really modern and quite well organized. There is no beach around, but it isn't a surprise in Sri Lanka. The pool side was nice, food was really good, same with drinks/cocktails. Everything is a little pricey comparing to other hotels on the island. The only concerns we had was the temperature and pressure of the water in our shower, and fact that our bathroom had no door at all (there was only some kind of curtain). We also had couple of geckos in the room, they run all over the walls and ceilings and eat bugs - nice experience. You also shouldn't expect any shops, restaurants or anything like this around.

2 Thank budzor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is a nice boutique hotel with only 8 rooms. All is in white, but this is the tropic so it is a lot of dark spots in the bathroom. The staff are also in white (only boys) and they are most helpful and nice. Look out for noisy Sri Lankan families eating a late dinner. Nice pool. It is now running by jet wing. The menu in the restaurant is not very impressive, but the food is lovely. We brought our own wine to the dinner. It is outdoor bathroom. I have never fancy that idea, but if you like to shower with the moscito around you, be my gest.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trekkfugl1
istanbul
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I choose this hotel because I got an hot deal from agoda.com. When I checked the reviews in tripadvisor I was sure that I did a good choice. However it was a really dissappointing experience. In the room you don't have a soap, you need to wash your hands with body shower. When I asked for a soap to the staff, the response was "Sorry sir, we don't have soap, I need to ask my boss". Another point is the showers in the room. You only have outside showers and you don't have enough hot water which is a shame.
The pool area was not ready before 9.00 AM. You need to wait the cleaning of the pool and pool area. So i was not able to enjoy pool area early in the morning and I was obliged to watch pool cleaning process while I was having my breakfast.
During the check out my extras was miscalculated because they don't use a computer and you cannot see your extras on an invoice. They have a piece of paper written by hand for each day and they sum one by one by a calculator. When the staff showed me the amount I asked him to give me the calculator and papers. My calculation was 30 USD less than him. Which is not a big amount for a European but quite big amount for Sri Lanka.
In the reviews I saw about an unspoiled beach where I can swim. However it does not exist. You don't have a nice beach closed by this hotel. If you want to enjoy sea Ahangama is not the place.
We stayed there 6 nights. The service was rubbish but the staff was always smiling. The only good thing was the food quality and prices.
Don't expect too much. I think that the owner of this hotel has a lot of friends in Tripadvisor.

2 Thank kerem s
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Nice location . The food was excellent . Cocktails were amazing. Cozy rooms. The hotel staff was very friendly . Great view of the sea from the pool. Recommend to reserve the rooms early . The garden bath is a signature.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Udana A
Sydney
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and I have to say this is one of the best experiences I have ever had. The hotel is not the typical 5 stars luxury hotel, instead, it is more like a resort style. The hotel has only few rooms and recomment you to book it in advance to avoide the disappointment. The most unforgetable thing is the out door pool. The size is bigger than we expect and it is only 1.2 meter deep. Grab your books and ipad and you can sit around the pool for a whole day.

Room: The room is simply and clean. There are no TVs and entertainments. Just sit outside the room and enjoy the bleeze, beaware of the mozzie though. The out door bathroom is amazing and you can tell the owner of the hotel must have spent lots of effort in maintaining the cleanness of the place, since everything there is white colour and it is in SRI LANKA! BTW, the show gel and shampoo provided by the hotel smell so good!

Service: You will feel like you are part of the big family once you check in. Not extremely polite ( i guess they want to give us more privacy), but you definately feel like home and be well looked after.

Food: because the location of the hotel is not close to the city centre, so we decided to dine at the restaurant of the hotel. I suggest you to try the dish recomment by the staff, becasue they are the one knows what is in season. After eating meals after meals of curry, i was eager to try sth different and it is GREAT!

Tips: The hotel is hidden at the back of the main street. Suggest you to call the hotel before the arrival, so that they can give you some instructions. We almost missed the entrance of the hotel and started wondering if we had booked the wrong hotel. They do not provide courtesy stay for the driver. If you hire a car with a driver, that means the driver needs to find a place to stay themselves.

Room Tip: All the rooms are in same setting. Overyall, they only have 8 rooms. :-)
1 Thank SydneySamantha
Ireland
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. The Service and staff were excellent. hotel and rooms are very comfortable. It has a very quiet and relaxed atmosphere. We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel. The dinner was great, definitely recommend the house curry but I would not recommend the Oily eggs Benedict attempt for breakfast.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bob909
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed here recently and as it was low season the price was really reasonable...so much so we have booked to go again! The ambience was so relaxing...I absolutely loved it!

The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful without being stifling. The gardens were meticulously tended to by staff which kept the place looking tidy and cared for.

We had an evening meal at the restaurant and the food was delicious, portions were quite large and service was impeccable.

A few minor points...
The white interiors are beautiful but I felt it looked a little rough around the edges, nothing a fresh lick of white paint wouldn't fix.
Breakfast service was a little slow. This may have been due to the number of guests arriving for breakfast at the same time...it normally wouldn't have been a problem for us however we had activities booked for 11am and felt under pressure. Although breakfast was worth the wait!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mcc_84
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahangama
W15
#1 of 13 in Weligama
Mosvold Villa
Mosvold Villa
#1 of 37 in Ahangama

Been to W15 Escape? Share your experiences!