“Highly recommend!”

and up
Private Day Trip: The Old Town of Galle Tour from Colombo
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Ahangama
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My driver randomly took me here, and I could have stayed all day! The guide was extremely informative, the plantation has a wonderful history. Ask any question and they will know the answer. Watching the tea being produced was really interesting, and the tea-tasting experience was wonderful. For a 1-2 hour change of pace, I 100% recommend this place.

1  Thank xang11

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This place didn't appear in my guidebooks but it popped up on a website about Koggala where I was staying. I'd previously had a negative experience of a tea estate in the highlands, much too touristy, so this estate was a breath of fresh air - literally, with the stunning scenery! The guide who took us round spoke excellent English and explained the history of the plantation with interesting anecdotes about the owner's family. After looking at the growing tea, we went to the owner's colonial-style elegant bungalow for a very polite tea and cake on the terrace, facing lovely gardens and a beautiful view.. This was followed by a visit to the factory, not actually working at the time unfortunately, but everything was well explained and it was fascinating to see the very old machinery, still in use. The tour ended in a beautifully arranged shop/museum, where we had a chance to taste 24 different teas! These were all on sale but the prices put me off, although the rarity of this type of tea made it well worth buying for conoisseurs. The whole experience lasted nearly 2 hours, yet was absolutely free! There was a box for donations, but no demands for payment at all. I would definitely recommend Hanungoda as an attraction worth visiting, even if you are staying quite a distance away, as it was so different from other money-seeking attractions I've visited.

1  Thank smallspender
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This place, hidden inland of Galle, is a place you must see! It is the only tea estate that close to the beach and produces the famous white virgin tea. The owner is the author of the well known book ' The suicide club' and the suicide blend is also available with a hint of whiskey. Very friendly and welcoming guides will show you around. The fabric is fascinating with its old machines (made by the same manufacturer as the Titanic). At the end you will have a tea tasting which is lovely!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stumbled upon this place by chance after reading a tiny note about it in a guide book. We have visited the the plantations of the highlands and although the views and quantity of tea here are not as jaw dropping, the actual tour itself puts Hapatules tea factory to shame. This place is what I was hoping for in the highlands.

When we got there a guide greeted us and showed us around this beautiful Estate, showing us various cash crops ( rubber, pepper to name a few) and the tea, from how it's grown to how it's processed in the factory to make the finished product as we know it. Near the beginning, we sat and enjoyed a pot of tea and a small but tasty slice of chocolate cake. At the end of the tour you are treated to sample around 20 variations of tea including the Virgin White - the most expensive and exclusive tea in the world. Although this is a free tour and there is absolutely no pressure to buy anything, you still feel as though you should as the tea costs from 750rs up its still a pretty decent price for what you get in the way of the tour/ tea/ cake, let alone the product you purchase.
Also leave a small tip AT THE END OF THE TOUR, not half way in like your guide might suggest.

3  Thank JJno41
Reviewed May 25, 2013

This tour was one if the highlights of my trio to Sri Lanka. I loved the beauty of the plantation, and learning about 'virgin white tea' was also really cool. Our tour guide was very knowledgable and shared lots of stories and information, not just about tea, but also about the many other plants on the site. These included coffee, pepper and rubber plants. It was lively sitting up at the house amongst the flowers and being served some yummy cake while getting to try several different brews. I also loved the quick trip through the factory, giving an insight into the full production of tea. There is an opportunity at the end to try all brews, and purchase any you like. Beware the virgin white tea is extremely expensive! Highly recommend this tour to young and old!

1  Thank courtneyandmatt