See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 1, 2015 via mobile

Along the river we had a romantic bungalow. We were spoiled by the friendly staff with good food and nice drinks. We enjoyed the safari in the Np. Don't expect modern facilities, the place does need some attention on maintenance level. However, we had a wonderful stay.

Stayed: December 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mirjam R
Reviewed December 20, 2014

DO NOT GO THERE.

Disaster place, disaster food, bugs, cold shower, worm in my food. Just as I thought it wouldn't get worse, I discovered $100 missing from my wallet in addition to some other foreign notes after we left the place. The only terrible thing is that I didn't notice except after we were in another city, otherwise, I wouldn't have let it slip by. ANGER.

• Stayed: December 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Namla S
Reviewed November 11, 2014

Recently my girlfriend and I went to udawalawe to do the safari(which was amazing), we had been on trip advisor recently and read all the horrible reviews about this place so were very cautious when arriving not to be fooled by this person.
Unfortunately when we arrived we were very tired and the heavily built Sri Lankan man that met us directly from being dropped off from the bus didn't ring any alarm bells at first. But after discussing the accommodation and were just about to get into the tuk tuk everything clicked in my head even though he had changed the name to "PALM VILLA" and he had ran out of business cards because we wanted to check we weren't being taken to the place we thought I knew it was that place.
On the way to the lodge we discussed how to get out of the situation and on arriving I asked the tuk tuk driver if the name of this place was Selara River Eco Resort to which he replied yes!!!
Realising we were being taken to the one place we didn't want to go and the place fitting all descriptions of it we started getting very worried knowing how aggressive this man could be.
We promptly asked out tuk tuk driver to take us back into town to which he replied "sorry I don't speak any English" even though he replied to me in perfect English. I started demanding him to take us back. He was about to leave when the bodybuilder man arrived in his jeep and asked us what the problem was. We started making up excuses that we didn't want to stay so far away from town but he wouldn't take no for an answer.
After about 10 minutes of arguing he finally let us leave but on the way back to town in our tuk tuk the driver kept getting called that he was notably scared to receive!!!
After being dropped off in town and not getting taken somewhere else because we didn't want them to know were we we're going, we went to go into a restaurant and I saw one of the body builders safari trucks following us and pulled up outside as we went into a restaurant. 2 different people came in offering us accomodation and hassling us so we had to be blunt with them and tell them to go away.
After calling superson guest house, which was amazing once we got there, we left and got stalked around town for 40 minutes by the body builders cronie tuk tuk drivers and everyone we talked to seemed to be in on the scam and didn't want to take us to our guest house and tried to take us back there. It started getting very scary as it was well after dark.

We ended up finding police and desperately pleading them to help us even as one of the tuk tuk drivers followed us into the building we went into. After a big ordeal with the police who couldn't speak English the owner of the store said he would take us to the guest house for free.
My girlfriend was terrified by this point as it was pitch black and we still didn't know we were going to the right place until we arrived.
A horrible experience, beware of this town!!!!! Everyone is in with this guy!! Go to superson guest house and email and call the owner as he will instruct you how to get to his guest house safely!!

Stayed: November 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mnovy86
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Thinking the horrible reviews on tripadvisor were about another guesthouse (the name was slightly different), my brother and I followed lonely planet and went to this place. When a bodybuilder with a too bright smile welcomed us, we recognized the description from tripadvisor and got alarmed but we were tired and the spot was beautiful so we decided to just be careful and stay the night. BIG MISTAKE. During dinner the owner sat with us, making us feeling uncomfortable. My brother brought up the horrible reviews on tripadvisor and the bodybuilder sighed, told us how those were people trying to ruin his business because he was the only one having reasonable prices near Udawalawe. When we had asked his younger brother the same question a little earlier, he explained how this had been true but that the management had changed rcently and that this was history. Knowing for sure now they were lying we discussed again leaving but again decided not to since it was late and we were in the middle of nowhere. We arranged a safari for the next morning with another driver (the owner had offered to take us) and let the owner know we wouldn't be going with him. The bodybuilder reacted very strange. We were just in bed when our safariman called us: bodybuilder called and threatened him, he wasn't welcome near the guesthouse because bodybuilder would take us on safari. We hung up, had a short discussion deciding to leave first thing in the morning and meet the safariman at the parc entrance. When we called safariman back, he was even more upset: why did we let bodybuilder know that he called us?? We hadn't left the house so the only thing we could think of was that one of the owners had been outside the window eavesdropping on us. At this point we were really scared. We locked and blocked every door and window and contacted the Dutch embassy, wanting to be sure that someone knew about our location in case the situation would further escalate. This might seem a little exaggerated but we felt really vulnerable being in the middle of nowhere with a bodybuilder and his brother who apparently went around threatening people. We barely slept and left at 5:15am. Not eager to have another confrontation with bodybuilder, we left money (the owner had our cellphone so we figured he would just call in case he didn't find the money). During the rest of the morning we got seriously stalked by the owners, who kept calling our safariman ordering him to not drive any further but wait for him. The younger brother would then jump out of a Tuk Tuk, shouting and threatening my brother. Thankfully it never came to a physical confrontation but we felt very threatened and were glad to leave Udawalawe.

If in doubt: TURN AROUND! We seriously underestimated the situation and have been regretting this the rest of the night and following day. Please do not make the same mistake we did.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Dorien D
Reviewed June 25, 2014

After 3,5 months of travelling in several countries, this was my worst night. There is a big scam set up with tuk-tuk touts luring you to this place (that has no name on the spot, and changes according to what the tourist expects). Although in the Lonely Planet (the number listed there is still correct) the place has deteriorated to the point where the filthy rooms (the mozzie was so full with insects that it covered the bed once we put it up) can no longer compensate for the beautiful spot.

The owners are simply criminals. We ended up here by accident but saw the other bad reviews on tripadvisor so were very secure on the doors and keeping all valuables with us. One of the owners (a bodybuilder-guy) sat with us with dinner which was very uncomfortable. I presume that in the same time his brother might have entered the room to look for valuables (judging by other reviews) which we, luckily carried on us.
He and his brother's smiles were simply a bit overdone and we didn't feel at ease from the start to be fair. We called the central park entrance and arranged for a guide to pick us up the next morning for safari. I told the bodybuilder that unfortunately we wouldn't be taking his jeep (it was a lot more expensive, too) and he quite briskly hang up the phone. Half an hour later our guide called me again to inform me that he had been threatened by the manager and would not be coming to pick us up.
We felt extremely unsafe and sneaked away at 5.30 the next morning after a terrible night. We left the money but were chased down by both brothers throughout the day, accusing us of not paying etc. They simply contacted the safari guide or tuktuk driver we were with at a certain moment, who would then stop and hand us his phone. They tracked us down several times and we ended up have a big fight (fortunately not physical) which cast a big shadow over our safari in Uda Walawe (which is, I must admit, a beautiful park!)

Should you anyhow end up in a place similar to the description or the pictures, get a tuktuk straight out of there. It is NOT worth the gamble!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends