“Watch out!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Uda Walawe National Park
Selara River Hide Out
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Ok, I had to write this comment to warn all of you considering this place as your accomodation.

We came here accidently (owner had an agreement with a bus driver who called him that we're coming) but we really liked this place. Cottage was basic, but had everything we needed. It was facing the river, there were many interesting fruit trees, small pond. Place is really green and quiet as it's in the middle of forest. There are some neighours but the town is 15 minutes away by tuk tuk.

We liked the place, liked the owner who was doing his best to fit our needs.

Unfortunately, during safari we left in our cottage some money from our country (50 PLN) and some jewelery and they disappeared. Of course we found out that we don't have it few days later. Now I understand why the owner was asking us if we could exchange him 100 PLN bill to USD. He said that he received it from Polish friend and could not exchange it anywhere. We haven't exchanged it because we needed USD but we're not suspecting that next day our money might disappear. Next time when people from Poland visited his place he was probably trying to exchange 150 PLN from 'Polish friend'...

If the above things woudn't happen I would give this place even 4/5 but after such experience it must be 1/5. Stay away or take extra care of your valuables!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neffff
There are newer reviews for Selara River Hide Out

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Originally, I wanted to say, how nice the environment and the whole accommodation was. The place is indeed nice, the small lake and the open bungalow above are inviting, the rooms are quite nice and staff is friendly.
On the other hand: we arrived late afternoon and were ensured, that the morning safari sucks and we should wait for the evening one, well, that's a nonsense as the ranger in the park told us later at the evening safari, mornings are better. So we were essentially tricked into staying one more night. On top of that, after leaving this place, I found 100 euro missing. I knew I had it two days before, since I went to the bank for exchange. I thought I was just careless and it felt out of my wallet somewhere, but thinking back, I had them when we arrived to this place and since reading the last comments, I'm not the last one with this occurrence, I have a feeling that this is simply suspicious. You might want to reconsider this place!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank janapka
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The reviews on this site are a bit harsh as I have experienced this place as s.th. a bit special. It is out of the way and so u need a tuctuc. it is situated right on the river and we were in it swimming and playing with the locals. absolutely gorgeous. The accommodation was quirky I felt as I was on safari all furniture was chunky and yep could be cleaner overall. Food was ok and the guy running the place was super friendly. We extended our stay an extra night and so did some Belgium couple we met. WE LOVED IT.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Bettina S
Reviewed March 27, 2013

On the face of it this place seems good. It's got a lovely location. Yes the rooms are a bit basic but Sri Lanka hardly offers value for money when it comes to accommodation and this compared with prices of other places in the country is reasonable.

The dinner is poor value. Forget the Lonely Planet's "does great thing's with river fish" - unless you like your fish fried to a crisp.

The kicker though was the missing $100 discovered in Galle the day after we left. A big argument ensued between my girlfriend and me and ruined the whole day. Judging from the other comments here I think we can now safely say it went missing from my girlfriend's bag during dinner. Like one of the other comments said not all the money was taken. There were two $100 notes and only one was taken.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markeaandrews
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I am interested in looking for accomadation around Uda Walawe and planing to vist to Sri Lanka during my easter break , therefore I am interested in styaing at Selara River Hide Out .

Furthermore the photos of the hotel was appealing and interested me to stay in the hotel with the lovely food they provide .

I couldn't find a contact detail in order to book my stay therefore appreciated to hear from the hotel soon .

Thanks ,

Mark from New Zealand .

Room Tip: Alll the rooms are good and love if I had the middle room has a good view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and i stayed there for 2nights. Location was so nice with the river flowing just in front of the our hut and the jungle type environment made a classic blend with the coconuts leafed huts with clay. our room had a nicely made wooden bed and wooden chairs.Bathrooms specially had a waterfall type shower which was interesting. We had a different type Sri Lankan food and even we requested the chef for some dishes we would like to have. Manager Mr. Geethika was really helpful,they arranged a safari to Udawalawa national park. Prices were reasonable with the service we got. Really happy with the friendliness of the staff Can recommend for anyone who likes to go out from the busy lifestyle.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

we have been the only guests at this terribly dirty location and there has been only one staff person - the `manager` himself, so no one else could have stolen the money (2000rp) while we enjoyed a safari tour.
we got the least valueable dinner: "rice with vegetables" (parts of a carrot in plain, oiled rice) of our srilanka trip. (1500 rp. for 2 portions)
the cook has been a very nice guy but he was just not able to cook and left the place while we were eating.
after we found some very nice locals, who invited us to lunch in their house, the staff was going mad at them, because they `stole their clients`.
over the night and the next morning, the tabwater including the toilet stopped to work at all. the manager knew about this but prefered doing nothing against it - he didn`t even have a look. instead of this he fed some street dogs, which barked 1m in front of our door the most time.
this was definitely the worst accommodation I ever had in my life.

• Stayed: February 2013