All reviews his mother great place to stay high point breakfast and dinner short notice sri lanka per night one night cold beer rice udawalawe park delicious food recommend this place hot water elephant transit home the owner homestay
Reviewed March 25, 2017

Lovely clean bungalow. Max offered excellent service and arranged out safari trip with Nabeera, who was a wonderful guide. The food in th evening and at breakfast was delicious. It was lovely to be woken up in the morning to the sound of many birds!

Date of stay: March 2017
Reviewed March 8, 2017

I went about looking for this guest house a little backwards then I normally would do. When I was looking for a safari in Sri Lanka I choose Udawalawe National Park. I then started looking for an actual company to take us on a safari to see the elephants and then I looked for a guest house. I kept coming up with the name Max Safari Villa and the name Max Safari for the actual safari.

I wrote to Max a couple of times just to make sure I would get what I wanted from the safari and also from his guest house. Max was always very prompt in returning my emails.

I choose Max Safari Villa because it sounded so nice and comfortable. We were able to get the chalet, and able to get all our meals there if we wanted. In a good location - A nice walk to the main road where just a little further up a side road is the Elephant Orphanage, and about 2 km from the actual town so it's quieter and not far from the gates of the Udalwalawa National Park.

We were in the chalet which has 2 comfortable double beds a real nice modern bathroom, good ac and quite spacious. Detached from the main house by a walkway. A lovely little terraceto sit on, and spotlessly clean.

Max with the help of his family is running an amazing homestay. We ate all meals - breakfast, traditional Sri Lankan breakfast, hoppers, string hoppers sausages, coconut pancakes, coconut roti, toast, jam - whatever we wanted and so much to eat.. Dinners were always a delight. A traditional Sril Lankan buffet dinner, some of the best we have had in Sril Lanka. The traditional food is cooked by Mom and Max is a trained chef and he whips up some wonderful dishes of his own. Not too sure when he gets the time. He is a busy man.

On top of the wonderful Villa Max did an amazing safari. There were three groups of 2 people staying at his Villa. Max has three jeeps that hold 6 people. Instead of putting all of us in one jeep and giving us a generic safari each group of two people got their own taylored safari doing and seeing exactly what we wanted to see not what everybody else wanted to see. On the safari we passed very few jeeps with only two people in them indicating to me that Max was more concerned about his guests having a memorable safari rather then just collecting the money. It was so appreciated.

I know the other two groups of people were very happy with their guides but I consider my husband and I very lucky to have had Max for a guide. Yes he wanted to give us an amazing safari but NOT at the expense of the elephants. He taught us so much about the elephant and explained exathat we were "the visitors" and had to behave that way. When the elephants are near by have respect for them, don't talk loudly. This is exactly the kind of safari I was looking for. Max is there to teach not just after the almighty dollar at whatever cost. Thank you Max for a wonderful all round experience. I highly recommend Max and his group.

Room tip: Loved the chalet
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2017

Room was really nice with a lovely deck. Max went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed the safari (we said we wanted to see crocodiles so he made sure we did!), the food in the evening is delish - his mum's home cooking. Great place!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2017 via mobile

We really enjoyed our night staying at Max's which being set back off the road is quiet and has nice gardens that makes it feel like you're in the jungle. We had the separate chalet for two of us and it was really nicely done with comfortable beds and a good bathroom. Also had a nice terrace with chairs in front. We had sandwiches for lunch when we arrived and rice and curry for dinner which were both good. In between we did a 3 hour jeep safari with one of Max's drivers who was great. We saw so many elephants up close it was brilliant. Also crocodiles, water buffalo, birds, monkeys - the driver knew exactly where to look. Max said we wouldn't also need a guide and he was right. The next morning we had a good breakfast including eggs and then another driver Max had arranged took us to the Elephant Transit home for feeding time and then on to Galle. Really great experience overall.

Reviewed January 20, 2017 via mobile

Max is a friendly welcoming host , the rooms are spotlessly clean with good air con , fans and mozzie nets in the the chalet .
Dinner was good Sri Lankan style and welcomed as not any options in town.
Max arranged an afternoon safari for us at reasonable prices , his jeeps are in fair condition and the driver was keen eyed and knowledgable and engaged when taking about the wildlife .
Made the park bust easy and enjoyable .

Date of stay: January 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple