Cinnamon Wild Yala
$60
Hotel Tissa(Tissamaharama)
Ekho Safari Hotel(Tissamaharama)
1,849 results
All reviewswild boarjungle chaletwater buffalonational parkrooftop barafter darkwatering holesri lankaon stiltshotel groundsnight safarimonkeys playingsafari experiencemain buildingearly morningyour doorstepbird life
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We booked a couple of nights stay at Cinnamon Wild on 25th/26th June while we were staying at The Fortress in Kogalla ( see my other review). The first thing you should be aware of is that the hotel is about 20 km from the nearest town of Tissa" and the final 8km of the journey the road is very bad with ruts and potholes large enough to trap elephant.
We were greeted with cold towels and a welcome drink but the reception staff themselves were not particularly welcoming nor did they seem too interested. Maybe that's just my impression having just come from the Fortress!
We were shown to our jungle chalet (145) which was very nice and not too far from the main area of the hotel reception, restaurant and bar so was handy but also nice and quiet. The chalet itself was very clean and has all you need for a short stay. We were made very welcome by the chalet housekeeper, Prince, who was smiley, helpful and could not do enough to make you feel like a special visitor. He later did some terrific artwork on the bed using twigs and leaves to make a brilliant pic of an elephant in the jungle! Top marks for Prince.
In and around the hotel grounds there are many monkeys which will sit on your steps and clamber over the chalet roofs. There are many bird types, lizards and even crocs on the small lake so it is well worth a walk around the grounds although it advised you don"t do so in the dark!
We booked two safaris for the next day via the office in the hotel, the first starting at 05:30 for 4 hours and then out again at 13:30 to about 18:00. The cost was €80 per person per trip and for that you are in your own safari jeep with driver and guide. We were very lucky with the driver we had, Rajiv I think he was caled, as he was not only a very good driver but also very knowledgeable and had eyes like a hawk spotting all sorts of things whilst driving through difficult terrain.
The main thing most visitors to Yala want to see are the leopards and we were very lucky to see them on both safaris of the day along with elephant, boar, water buffalo, crocs, deer, mongoose and many different types of birds from kingfishers to eagles. Two great safaris, thank you.
With the hotel being so difficult to get to it is a good thing that the restaurant is also very good. Not only is the food good but it is also not too expensive either especially as they have a captive audience. All in all we very much enjoyed our two nights at Cinnamon Wild but we were also really still looking forward to getting back to The Fortress for the last few days of our holiday.

Room Tip: Having had a walk around I was happy to be in chalet 145.
Reviewed July 4, 2013

First, Yala feels like the great wild wilderness... kind of a nowhere land on the south east fringe of Sri Lanka... when you reach there with a kid, you worry, esp on the bumpy approach, if this is the right place for a kid.,... and then you enter the hotel, and you know you are in safe hands. Oh what a place this is... The deck on the roof was the highlight... a fantastic view of the ocean on one side and jungle on the other... with a drink in hand, sunset is a most not miss here. Then the rooms... my daughter was in fairy heaven. Clean, spotless, roomy and yes, the mosquito nets lend the fairy touch...the bar and coffee shop are friendly, and you can sit there for hours watching the worlk do by. the resident naturalists are young, knowledgeable and enthusiastic, the safari out of the world (dont miss the picnic at the Tsunami memorial at the remote beach at the end of the safari). the fact that elephants wander into the property regularly is a lovely thought... dont miss this one...

Room Tip: If with kids, stay close to the reception
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We spent 2 nights here at the end of June. Our chalet was clean and very comfortable and the staff could not have been more helpful. The food was good, and it was a novelty being surrounded by so much wildlife. We slept well apart from being woken up by monkeys on our roof one morning! It was booked as part of a package so I can't comment on VFM other than for what we spent on lunch and at the bar.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I were recently on our honeymoon and stayed here for a night. We absolutely loved this place, luckily we arrived early afternoon so we were able to enjoy a nice swim in there big pool overlooking the lake. It's quite a bumpy ride going in and out but worth it. You will first be greeted by the reception staff who are always there to help with your bags or with whatever you need, and at night time you need to call them to come no get you as the wild animals out there. Your greeted with a cold wet towel and a drink on arrival than taken to your room which is incredible and the bathroom is big and your bags are there. The cabins have a nice sized verandah with chairs no tables and undercover. We watched the wild boars walking by our room as we sat there.
Unfortunately due to the full moon no alcohol was allowed in the bars while we stayed there so we did not get to enjoy a nice drink n the top balcony but it's a beautiful view.
The buffet was fantastic, a range of so many different foods that we did not get anywhere else.
We completed a morning safari tour next day which was incredible was fun driving over the rocks and trying to spot leopards in which unfortunately did not see. I would recommend this place to anyone, and would stay here again.

1  Thank Mrs_M_Lucas
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I just left the Cinnamon Wild hotel in Yala after two fantast nights there.
It seemed as if I had been there forever even though it was a very short stay.
Once you make it to the entrance of the resort, after a very bumpy ride in you know that you have reached somewhere very special.

You are greeted in thr reception by smiling faces that immediately makes you forget the unmade road.
Once the formalities of checking in and you have enjoyed your welcome drink you are escorted to your accommodation.
I booked a Jungle Cabin which was fantastic if you forget the monkeys doing their thing on your roof at 4.30am each morning, lol.
Well we are in their territory.
The Jungle cabins are very well appointed with extremely comfortable beds. The cabin is not large but big enough for two, even though I was travelling alone.
The separate toilet and wonderful shower with heaps of hot water made the trip to Yala worthwhile.
The cabins are nicely set out and you are not too close to your jungle neighbour.
Each cabin has a good sized veranda to relax on before the sun goes down and the jungle comes alive.
It is suggested that after dark you get someone to come and fetch you and take you back later as you never know what animals are lurking in the dark, lol.
It is quite an experience to see wild boar walking around the ground and crocodiles in the lake next to the swimming pool.
Don't worry they only eat guests who give the resort a bad report on TripAdvisor hahaha.
There are just so many things to say about this place but I will mention only two.
Firstly the guys in the bar were amazing and they made me feel like part of the CW family. I was even given my own bar chair when all the tables were full. They made me feel very special, not because I closed the bar each night, lol but with the interest the bar staff took in the guests. Well done guys. Try to get to know them if you visit. You will not regret it.
The second thing was my dinner on.the last night. Well what can I say.
I wanted to try the fresh crab and was totally blown away when the Executive Chef for the resort took time to come and explain how they cooked and presented the final masterpiece. Thanks chef it was an eating experience I will never forget.
I also would like to thank all the staff especially the waiters in the buffet restaurant upstairs who really looked after my every need.
When it came time to leave I felt very sad and could have spent many more days there just exoeriencing the resort and its exceptional staff.
Thanks again everyone and once again thanks to my new friends from the bar.

• Stayed: June 2013