“Amazing”
Review of Panthera Lodge

Panthera Lodge
Ranked #12 of 32 Specialty Lodging in Kirinda
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Everything about Panthera is fantastic. My friends and I stayed for 2 nights. The food was great, the lodge was beautiful and welcoming, the location is perfect for safaris into Yala. The floor plan is open to the outdoors which makes for amazing sunsets after long, hot days in the park. Having the option of sleeping indoors or out was nice. We of course slept outside as the nights were absolutely gorgeous--just be prepared to be woken by the sunrise and wildlife! Overall, one of the best experiences of my trip to Sri Lanka. I would go again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here with three of my good friends which was perfect for the communal sleeping arrangements and we truly had an amazing experience! It feels like you are luxury camping and the indoor/outdoor design of the bungalow is perfectly suited for travelers who are there to interact with nature. The location is fantastic with the proximity to the park and the food the chef's made was delicious! The only downside was the hot water was not installed yet but after an exciting, hot and dusty safari, I hardly noticed. I would definitely stay there again and recommend it without hesitation.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've been to Panthera several times over the years and have had a superb experience each time. The location within close proximity to the Yala wildlife park is terrific. Even more compelling for me is the close proximity to other wonderful attractions. On one three day visit we visited three different beaches and had a wonderful time. There is a scenic buddhist temple with a great view a mile or so from the bungalow. So many places to explore, or to just chill out in the long open verandah with a cold beverage in hand and close friends for company. The hospitality of the staff is great and what exceeds their hospitality is the fantastic dishes they prepare. I have truly enjoyed every visit and I have no doubt I will be back for many more.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I was so pleased with my stay at Panthera Lodge! Between the hospitality, amazing meals, and modern accommodations, I couldn't be more relaxed taking in the natural beauty of Yala. The safari was amazing and highlight of my trip. Our incredibly knowledgeable guide pointed out every bird, monkey, and elephant. He has quite a gift! We even saw some leopards! I will never forget the surreal experience of waking up to the sun rising above the plain.
Highly recommend this special experience to anyone who visits Sri Lanka!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was a great place to stay- open living spaces, clean and well maintained (including the bathrooms), very close to the Yala National Park. You can sleep outdoors under mosquito netting and fans, but there’s an airconditioned room as well. There a nice area in garden to relax and unwind at the end of the day. The layout of the place fitted in well with the proximity to Yala.

You can hire a jeep and driver to go into Yala- that was a fantastic experience. We visited twice in the short time we were there, and saw 2 leopards, 2 sloth bears (one of the leopards was feeding on a dead sambar (deer)), elephants (we sat for ages watching a baby and his mother grazing just a few feet from us), an amazing peacock mating display (unfortunately the peahens didn’t seem too interested), lots of deer, buffaloes, birds and mongooses- all in their natural habitat. I think this was the best of all the places we visited.

For overseas visitors I’m told it costs USD 200 per night for two people to book the full bungalow, and proportionately less if you have bigger groups (up to USD 700 for 10 people). The food was really good, and you can really tell the difference in the styles of cooking from the different parts of Sri Lanka. Menus are sent out so you can choose the food in advance, and transport to and from the airport can also be organised. Definitely a place worth visiting.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We visited Panthera as part of a larger trip to Sri Lanka. As a mid-west girl from the US who didn't have a lot of prior International travel experience, this was quite the adventure. I was a little apprehensive about a stay in the "jungle" but took a chance because of the recommendation of a friend. Panthera did not disappoint. From the moment we arrived, every part of our stay was amazing. Liyanage and Chinthaka were up before we were and busy until we went to bed taking care of anything we needed. And we kept them busy! Then for activities, we did everything from relaxing at the lodge to safaris at Yala and an unforgettable trip to the nearby temple. Overall I'd say that this is a very unique and special spot that somehow manages to allow the guest to experience the wildness of the jungle from the comfort of a place that feels just like home.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julie63144
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is my fourth stay at Panthera and like all the others, it was a memorable one. After a tiring but rewarding visit to Yala park (we saw 2 leopards, 2 bears, a Tusker among other animals), we trekked back to Panthera lodge. After freshening up, it was so peaceful to sit in the garden and watch the stars above us. Liyanage and Chintaka made us feel special with some delectable dishes and attentive care. The new addition to the lodge (bedroom with A/C and very modern bathroom) was most impressive. It is so special to spend time with family and friends and the ambience and facilities at Panthera made the visit an exceptional one.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends