“Natural, easy going, on a stunning beach”

Kirinda Beach Resort
Varese
“Natural, easy going, on a stunning beach”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed as a family of 4 in one of the family huts. These are all wood and natural cement (mud) giving a lovely feeling of being in the jungle, but with comfortable beds and bathroom. Sure, you might find a frog or two, but then you are in the midst of nature. A few short steps to an amazing beach - the warnings of dangerous swimming should be heeded but ok to go to waist height if you are confident in the water. If you are lucky you will see turtles, either offshore swimming in the day, or up the beach at night in the right season. Very attentive assistant manager, pool structure was surprisingly endearing. A highlight though was the transport arranged for us from mirissa - we got to meet the wonderful jaya who was easily the best and most honest and charming person we encountered in Sri Lanka. If you need transport , he's your man (see separate entry for elephant camp in tissa). Kirinda beach is fully recommended and a truly beautiful spot.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank SteveLaveno

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We only stayed for one night, and could have stayed much longer. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The cabins, although no a/c, had a natural breeze coming through them and were comfortable to sleep in. The cabins are super cute, and cozy. There is an amazing pool and restaurant which both look over the beach. And there is a turtle nest within walking distance to go see.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I've been staying for 2 days at the Kirinda Beach resort. The stay was really nice and so are the staff, in the end I was almost sorry to leave.
Upon arriving I found myself in a valley of smiles from the very first person I met the manager Dilan. He explained everything I had available and gave me a service very quickly.
Room was clean and quiet and I had very rich and tasty breakfast, I love Sri Lankan traditional foods and I found the best around. Spicy taste foods with each breakfast I became more enthusiasm.

On the second day they show me the most beautiful beach called kirinda beach I have never seen never visit before and I became crazy with that virgin beach and had a fun lot. These are the things that made me enjoy my stay at this hotel, but my warmest congratulations to the hotel for their choice of personnel. They know how to really make you feel at home, and if you need anything it is like asking a family member. Congratulations from the heart, you were fantastic.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank chathuzz
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 3 nights end of February and felt at home as soon as my partner and I arrived. This was our 4 th stop of our 2 week vacation and we both loved Kirinda resort so much we extended our stay. The restaurant is open all day with a well stocked bar. The staff were all welcoming and would bend over backwards to cater for your needs.
We organised our Yala tour with Kirinda and forwarding transport to the airport. This was the only place we stayed at where the customer comes first and so not looking rip you off. All tips are shared out between all the staff bi weekly so it was our pleasure to give something back on our departure and at no time were you made to feel guilty about how hard up they were like at the 3 other places we stayed at. We met some great people at the resort and used the bikes to cycle round the area which I would recommend. The pool was superb over looking the sea, and all mod cons in the rooms. We would definitely stay here again and miss it already. I highly recommend this place for anyone looking to go to visit Yala which is about 25 mins away, the jeep will also pick you up from the resort included in the price for 4500 rupees. Thank you Patricia, Sanjeewa, Jude and Sanjaya for everything. I hope to see you again one day.
I hope you enjoy your time there as much as I did.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KatieMccrac
Sri Lanka
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The resort consists of a number of chalets on the sand behind the beach. The location is exceptional. The beach is quiet and the place gives the best of both worlds, near to Yala National Park and a beach holiday too.
Staff are very willing but inexperienced. I can forgive that easily.
Rooms are fine, but they need to pay a bit more attention to mosquitoes. The chalets could retain character and be better mosquito proofed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We spent 2 nights in the Kirinda Beach Resort in February 2013. It was the most expensive hotel we stayed at in Sri Lanka, but we would have to say it is worth it. The easiest way to get there is to find a way to Tissa, usually by train, and get a 500 rupee tuk tuk to the hotel. As soon as you get there, you are welcomed by all the staff. They are more than friendly and super helpful. They showed us their beautiful beach (be careful of swimming in the water) and around. The room itself is wonderful, with everything you could want. However, it is in a jungle, and the rooms are not well protected from outside insects. There were mosquitoes galore and huge spiders just hanging out. But with a mosquito net at night these things didn't bother us though. With no AC during the day the rooms got pretty toasty. At night the fans were enough. The only major problem was that we felt trapped. Since it is in a very small town with nothing else in it, so the only option was to eat and drink there. The food was good, although pricey for our budget. We wish we could have spent more time there. Another thing: check the receipts at the end. There were many mistakes which they tried to charge us for things we had not ordered. They blamed this on the waiters' lack of English and are working out a new system for this. Did not cause any problems and would come back in a second.

Room Tip: There were some shared wall bungalows, I would stay way from those.