“lovely place to stop have some lunch and bask in the sun amongst the forest”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mundaring
Mundaring Weir Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Mundaring B&B and Inns
Canberra, Australia
“lovely place to stop have some lunch and bask in the sun amongst the forest”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I came here with my partner for lunch on a Saturday afternoon.

The drive up was lovely and once we arrived, there was plenty of seating space to choose from to drink or eat. We ordered a pizza, buffalo wings and onion rings with dips for $27! We also got 2 pints for $18. We were pleasantly surprised with the pricing considering it is out in the middle of nowhere (the place doesn't even have mobile reception).

There were lots of kids running around playing basketball, soccer, riding bikes and scooters. Such a relaxing place to go to. It would be even nicer when the pool gets uncovered and is in operation.

The historical documents and items around are so interesting and it is amazing to see such history. We saw the guest book which had signatures from 1912!

Next time we will definitely stay here. The only reason we didn't was because it was booked out!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ivana-banana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

A large, imposing hotel with rooms, bar and function rooms with easy access to views over the nearby weir and pipeline. Many original Victorian features; function room on ground floor, bar on first floor with imposing balcony. Traditional bar food - we had steak and mushroom pie (no visible mushrooms!) for $24, with a pint for $9. I can't comment on accommodation, as we only stopped for lunch. The overall impression was that the premises were pleasantly dated.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank saffronsBournemouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have visited this venue over the past 20 years, from riding my bike on a Sunday run, to just a weekend drive and meal. Over the years i have enjoyed the growth of this Hotel / Pub / Venue.
Of course its a lovely stop after driving to the Mundaring Weirs winding road.

Today i was out for a drive and a meal, waking in seeing the old bar again filled me with memories, but as i walked over the creaking moving floor boards into the back room, for me it wasn't the charm, it felt quiet dated and a little dirty, it needed some tender loving care. Even the picture frames on the wall.

I hoped things would get better as we tried to find a place to sit and order our lunch, the first table i sat at, wobbled when i checked the legs there was a good inch difference, (I would need a few coasters to fold up under that leg, to settle that table down), so i moved to another seat, again not feeling very comfortable. I went down stairs to the enclosed verandah, This was a lot better than the bar area, large windows looking out over the venue.

When the meals came out i was quiet excited, unfortunately for me that excitement didn't last, the steak was lovely but the cajun sauce all over it really killed the enjoyment for me, The mushrooms were juicy and plump but again the cajun sauce was way to hot. Of course i can put that down to my personal taste, my partner ordered the same and found his steak over cooked, both of us agreed that the chips were a write off. But i think he is suffering now from the sauce and he is the one that loves anything hot.

Looking around at the old charm of the stair case and door ways, you can see the classic charm of this building, i just feel it needs some much needed tender loving care.

The meals where reasonably priced and a reasonable size, but I wont be back for a meal in the near future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank ALadyDragon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

It does most things VERY well indeed.

The beds are Extremely comfortable, clean and at night it is totally silent. You couldnt ask for a better night sleep.

The look and feel of the hotel overall is good. The finish of the rooms is a bit rough but personally for the price paid I can overlook such things.

The fireplace was a big draw for me and my partner. However we did have some issues here.

The firewood that is stacked at the enterance to the room was very wet. There was also a stack of kindling,. also very wet and some of it painted.

My biggest gripe about the room is the lack of fire-tools. Ie. Poker, Tongs and a shovel and bucket for scrapping out ash which there was plenty of. I was a bit put out of having to do this myself. With a brick and a peice of timber into the bin. Which ment that large amount of ash ended up on the tile floor and underfoot which was not very romantic. I feel this should be done by the cleaners and there definately should be the correct tools for the job so that if guests must do it themselves they are not having to improvise and make a mess.

Or if a log was to unexpectedly role out of the hearth then the guest would have a set of tongs to return it to the fire.

The "kindling" was in my opinion as an ex-soldier and an ex boyscout was far too big. Considering that you are only given 2 firelighters.. which I assume is ample if the wood is dry... perhaps a touch tightfisted as we had to use a candle we had brought with us to get it going as the wood was just so wet and overly large for starting a fire.

Once we had the fire started and i had got the wood ash out my throat had a few drinks we did go on to have a very cosey and comfortable night.

The water pressure and temprature of the shower is fantastic. Again it warmed up very quickly and the pressure was very powerful. Couldnt fault it. The towels are plentiful and soft and fluffy.

All in all I was happy enough and wanting to return. We ordered our breakfast and were discussing that we had had a very nice evening and offering feedback regarding issues with the fireplace with the restraunt manager.

Obviously she passed her message onto the owner. When he came out he was fairly abrupt. When I said that I had had to scrape the fireplace out without the proper tools his explination was that the ash protects the fireplace... Now I have lit many fires in many fireplaces and I have never heard of leaving the fireplace full of ash.. Excess ash restrics airflow to embers and can make it harder to light a small wet fire with inadequate kindling.

If this was not the case then nobody would bother disposing of ash at all.

The owner was rude.. attempted to correct me and pointed out that the hotel has been doing it that way for 30 years.

Personally I think that is a very ignorant way of looking at things. There is always room for improvement in any facet of life/bussiness. I am a paying customer and I was unhappy to be contradicted and spoken down to..

For something so simple as a set of tools, 2 extra firelighters and a few logs stacked by the hearth to dry by the cleaners.. I'm disappointed to mark this hotel as 3-5.

Unfortunately that brief encounter at the end of our stay turned me from being happy to return and recommend the hotel to not wanting to return at all. Hostility towards customers in the face of constructive critiscm is not on.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luke P
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed at the Weir Hotel thru the first half of 2013. Wont be staying there again.
Rooms are dated..the first room I had the shower handles fell off when I turned them on & at one stage i had no hot water. The second room I had the tiles underfoot were cracked and broken between the main living area and the ensuite. I ended up putting a towel over them so my son did not risk cutting his feet. The verandahs have been white-anted and the Hotel Authority would have a field day with this one, not structurally sound at all. On both occasions the rooms were not cleaned properly prior to our arrival as there were spiders happily nesting beneath chairs and in corners around the fireplace. There is no clean linen or towel replacement thru the course of your stay & management are reluctant to let you use the washing machine in the shed. I had absolutely no phone service with Virgin, given that the Hotel is located in a deep valley, however I was able to use wireless broadband for my laptop. It is also quite a walk down to the rooms so if you are lugging a lot of stuff be prepared to make several trips. Management dont want you driving your car down to nearer the bottom entry gate. Run by dutch people, the male owner came across to me as being selfish & arrogant. It may all sound a bit harsh but its my honest opinion after 2 stays of 3 days plus. I have also stayed at the Travellers Rest more so & the facilities there are much better, albeit a little more expensive but you get a full self contained kitchen & a washing machine to yourself also. These two alone are woth the extra in my opinion.

The only plus is the location. The area out the back where they have the concerts is a nice place to sit & there are many birds you can feed & my son did enjoy this too. There is a bit of things to do for kids which is good. Some may enjoy a weekend stay for the trees & the weir but the rest of it is pretty drab & rundown. There are better places to stay & still have the option to visit the weir.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Donovan H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Rooms were clean and had everything you needed. Staff were great and the atmosphere generally is very relaxed. More than a pub room but at 140 a night I thought it a little overpriced. Rooms were clean & tidy. I note the review with the smoky room smell, yes that is the price you pay for having the unique luxury of an open fire in your own room. Great place to take kids.

• Stayed April 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed on a Saturday night with a big group of friends all with kids. Had such a great time. The staff were friendly and helpful. The accommodation was cozy, love the open fireplaces. Sunday is amazing with a great atmosphere , heaps for the kids to do, love the birds that fly around, food is terrific. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mundaring
Hidden Valley Eco Lodges
#1 of 2 in Mundaring
Rosebridge House Bed & Breakfast
Rosebridge House Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 5 in Gooseberry Hill

Been to Mundaring Weir Hotel? Share your experiences!