“Thank you Candy, Dennis & Charlie” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest Edge Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redlynch
Forest Edge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Redlynch B&B and Inns
Salisbury
“Thank you Candy, Dennis & Charlie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Like a previous writer we also found ourselves temporarily homeless, and were pleased to seek refuge at Forest Edge. The owners were professional, kind and always helpful, we stayed in The Deer Hide, The Barn, The Sydney Suite and The Pink Room, all were of a good standard and thoughtfully furnished. When we were in B&B breakfasts were delightful and we were sad when we had to leave. Charlie the dog was an enthusiastic bonus, thankyou Candy & Dennis for your kindness.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sheila Y

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Banbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

We arrived in the pouring rain but were quickly welcomed by Candy who showed us around The Loft, self-catering apartment. We had everything we could have wanted to make a comfortable stay, including some nice little touches. It was so warm and cosy, and was lovely to come back to after a day out. We were particularly impressed with the size of the bathroom and the storage space which you don't often get on holiday! The leather sofa was very comfortable too so felt just like home from home. There are great views from the kitchen as it looked over the forest and garden bird feeders. We found it a great central location for visiting and went to Beaulieu and Exbury Gardens which are well worth a visit. At Milford-on-Sea and Lepe you can park the car right up to the beach and get fantastic views of the Needles and Isle of Wight. The smaller villages are also pretty and Minstead and Breamore church are particularly interesting. Lyndhurst is the main place for tourist information and we had a good lunch at the Lyndhurst Tea Rooms. We enjoyed evening meals at the Woodfalls Inn a couple of miles away and The Fighting Cocks at Godshill. Altogether, a very enjoyable stay and we hope to be back soon.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Epping, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

The welcome could not have been more pleasant and accommodating. We received considerate attention at all times without being intrusive. The accommodation was exactly what we could have wished for. The Sydney Suite was particularly appropriate for my 97 year old mother with a comfortable bed and armchair and properly appointed accessible en suite - it is rare to have nearly all the correct fittings in the right place. The Pink Room was more than adequate also. The gardens and the rest of the house and outbuildings were well maintained and thoughtfully designed. The food was good and breakfast was served with just the right level of friendly engagement. There was much to admire and lots of interesting touches.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
salisbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

We have had the misfortune to have a water leak at our house and have had to find temporary accommodation. We were lucky enough to find this lovely place situated in the New Forest not too far from our home.We have stayed in three of the holiday lets so far, each with its own distinct character. All have been well appointed and very clean. The Tack Room situated on the ground floor with outlook over the lawn and into the paddock; The Deer Hide high up above the the garage and car port, furnished to a high spec with a balcony where you can sit with breakfast watching the wild life (if you are lucky). Our daughter, when she visited, just wanted to stay on the balcony.
Now in the Loft; this is small but cosy superb power on the shower. Views into the woods and over the whole site.
Candy and Denis the proprietors, have bent over backwards to make our stay comfortable. Nothing has been too much trouble. However busy, Candy always makes time for a conversation and checks that we have no problems.
Not being a real dog lover, I have to mention the Cocker Spaniel Charlie. He really is adorable and have spent much time watching him chasing balls thrown by whoever is willing.
All our visitors have been quite jealous and told us to make the best of our situation. It is just such a lovely place to stay. Just cross the road and you are in the forest, ready for a short or long walk.
Plenty of places to cycle both on and off road.

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

After one of those really long bank-holiday journeys fighting the motorway traffic for over three hours, the New Forest finally beckoned. We arrived aching, tired and in need of refreshment, rest & relaxation. There was a real air of anticipation as first impressions when driving over the cattle-grid through the large wooden gates were pretty good - a tremendous location, no arguments there!

Unfortunately, our welcome was to say the least 'lacklustre' and all 'rather disappointing'. A hopeful warm New Forest welcome and perhaps even an offer of a cup of tea or coffee or even a refreshing cold drink after our stressful journey never materialised (not that it was ever offered, mentioned in any literature or indeed expected ... c'est la vie).

We had booked two rooms, the accessible wheelchair 'Sydney Suite' (for my wife and I) and the 'Mocha Room' situated upstairs in the main house for our daughter. The accommodation was of a good standard - the accessible ensuite shower room in the Sydney Suite was ‘spacious’ and extremely well appointed especially for me, an electric wheelchair user; as for the restful and relaxing ceiling lighting, an unusual touch to say the least!

The level of ‘genuine warmth’ and simply that 'good old fashioned customer service’ was regrettably lacking - it is for this reason that our experience of this property was unfortunately marred, hence the 'average' rating. Sadly, there was no flexibility in terms of what we considered very reasonable requests and disappointingly, there was an evident lack of ‘local knowledge’ for eateries or any form of accessible recommendations particularly for a wheelchair user to enjoy for example those inviting New Forest trails. To top it all, undertones from the owner gave the impression that everything was just ... 'all too much' – on arrival, guests for example really don’t need to know ‘how hard it is to find good staff’!

‘Problems’ started on arrival in the Sydney Suite which is 'superbly appointed' especially for someone in a wheelchair; double doors, level access throughout and a lovely patio area to sit out and relax of an evening with a glass of your favourite vino or perhaps an early morning coffee moment. We parked our car close by to unload – be aware of the sloped pebble driveway in front of the Sydney Suite entrance which was a bit tricky even in my electric wheelchair. Our suite had a small modern kitchenette area with a fridge which was lovely and cold but 'empty' – no milk for example to make a pot of tea. My wife asked if we could get some milk; we were told to drive to the nearest village corner shop which infact is what we did.

So no guest refreshments on arrival, no warm welcome, only a seemingly stressed owner that made my wife and I feel decidedly uncomfortable, a feeling further exacerbated when we requested that the king size feather duvet and pillows be changed as both my wife and I are allergic to feathers. ‘You really should have told me beforehand’ came the slightly unsettling answer and ‘I’m not sure we’ve enough pillows but I’ll check anyway’. My wife then mentioned that our daughter (arriving the following day by train from London) is also allergic and would it be possible to change her duvet and pillows too, to which the owner suggested that she bring her own on the train. Enough said!

Still in ‘having-just-arrived’ mode, our host informed us that breakfast would be at 08.00hrs to which I asked if it could be a little later, perhaps 09.00hrs as it takes me longer to ‘get-going’ in the morning. As I typically do not sleep well away from my own bed (how many of you reading this are nodding in agreement), I was looking for a little more understanding, a little more flexibility, a little less ‘regime’ as this after all was a much-needed Easter break. So breakfast at 09.00hrs it was and on our first morning, my wife made sure I was awake and in my chair (admittedly still in my pj's) at precisely 08.59hrs and sure enough at 09.00hrs the first part of breakfast arrived with cereals and milk.

‘Maxima enim patientia virtus’ (literally translated means ‘patience is the greatest virtue’) … despite waiting a further 40 minutes for coffee (with hot milk which we love) and two cooked breakfasts with all the trimmings, we were on our way out into the New Forest for the rest of the day … not before we were told during breakfast that our room would be cleaned at 11.00hrs prompt which meant that I had approximately 30 minutes to get showered, dressed and ready for the day ahead, a process that ordinarily takes me at least an hour. Oh dear, no rest for the wicked ...

On the subject of breakfast, if perchance you’re a 'fried-egg-aficionado', you’ll be pleased to hear that your host normally ‘only does fried eggs’; that said, as I only partake of ‘poached-eggs’ or 'scrambled-eggs' and never ever ‘fried-eggs’ (people keep telling me that fried is simply a no-no), I quietly, respectfully asked ... and would you believe it, the finest New Forest poached egg arrived and you’ll be pleased to hear that it was cooked to absolute perfection! Perfect yoke-consistency, perfect shape, 10/10 - delish!

Still on the subject of breakfast, let's talk about orange juice, a breakfast drink consumed by millions of people but alas ... not my wife (as its too acidic); despite mentioning this fact, no alternative juice was offered and our host even suggested that she (my wife) should go and buy herself another type of juice. Additionally, if like me you love kippers, be aware that within the pages of the rooms ‘information folder’ there lies a clear instruction on the breakfast menu sheet to be sure you ask your host the night before if you'd like kippers … which when we asked (admittedly the night before), the answer that my wife was given in one very succinct word ... ‘no’. It was explained to us the following morning at 09.00hrs that there were no kippers in the pantry and that there were only the frozen variety which our host said and I quote ‘are simply not up to standard for our guests’. That all said, the alternative offering (maybe a token of peace) involved smoked haddock accompanied with the now obligatory poached egg and I can tell you, it was a really rather delicious outcome, certainly a worthy contender for another prestigious ‘Breakfast Award’ (having won twice in 2010 and 2011).

Kippers aside, my wife wanted to actually check-out of the property a day early. It was only through the calming, and 'remarkably' persuasive skills of our daughter that we decided to stay on – I use the word 'remarkably' because it was … what you don’t know was that my wife had pretty much squared-our-room-away! We stayed because after-all, as our daughter said ... "it's a great base and we're only here for one more night" (and that was the truth of it)!

Other frustrations included the heating thermostat in our room which didn’t appear to work (despite turning it up) so we were unable to warm-up during the cool evenings. As a ‘resourceful’ couple, we were armed with two thoughtfully selected ‘luxury items’ … a warm ‘happy-blanket’ and a ‘hottie’, items I’d recommend are always packed for those ‘just-in-case’ moments! Strangely though, on returning back to our ‘Forest Edge base’ for our last night, the Sydney Suite was like a savage sauna, with the heat hitting our cold faces like a tropical blanket! Somewhere along the line, the heating had been activated ... all a bit too much, too late!

And finally … inform yourself first as to where the wheelchair-friendly accessible forest trails are located; in our Sydney Suite and at reception, we discovered several laminated cards of various forest walks (all useful info); terrific we thought, but on closer inspection, the info lacked any reassuring references to 'accessible trails' where for example the occasional New Forest pub might be enroute - when my wife asked which ‘walks’ might be suitable for me in my electric wheelchair, our host was unsure, not particularly engaged and simply directed us to a familiar ‘walk’ around the corner from the property.

So in summary, here are our two top-tips: firstly, planning is an upfront investment in most things, so I’d recommend when visiting the New Forest, do have a good look through the official visitor website at www.thenewforest.co.uk – its really informative and if you’ve time when you get down there, we’d recommend going along to the excellent ‘Visitor Information Centre’ in Lyndhurst which is open all year round – it offers excellent local knowledge and local expertise that’s truly unsurpassed. And secondly, 'before you book', do your research - engage, ask questions and listen carefully in order to get an insight as to whether those who operate in this case a B&B business are disability-aware/confident or not ... in our case, we felt that there was a disconnect between the superbly appointed Sydney Suite and the level of understanding in what I refer to as 'inclusive-hospitality' in really leveraging the opportunity that's presented by 'difference'.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Agent657
Suffolk, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

We have just returned from 4 nights in the Deer Hide self catering apartment. It is such a lovely place in a perfect new forest location-just go its amazing. It was our first time to the new forest (being adults anyway!) and everything was just so relaxing and really gave us time to unwind from our hectic jobs! We were unsure whether to book as we normally go abroad and sunbathe all day but this was just perfect for us. We went walking every morning and stopped at a pub for lunch then drove to a different village and walked in the afternoon! It was so nice to return to the cosey deer hide every evening, everything was very well looked after and nice and modern which we like.We didnt see any deer from the balcony but if you walked over the road and look in the field to the right its full of deer!!! We went twice and both times there was loads of deer in there - amazing! :) The new forest is so peaceful and picturesque! We would recommend going to the village of Minstead, Trusty Servant pub (i think it was called)and that whole area is lovely with a little tea shop too. We also loved Fritham where we had a REALLY long walk but it has a nice pub (The Royal Oak) to return too with lovely views of the country side and as always loads of wild horses, ponies, donkeys and cows. We also went to the main towns like Burley, Brokenhurst and Lyndhurst which are all nice and again have nice pubs but the smaller places just make you want to live there!! Also would recommend Boldrewood (Deer conservation) where we saw deer but dont rely on the deer viewing point go for a walk around and they are there! Lots of places for picnics etc but although sunny it was a bit cold for us! We can't wait to come back and its a perfect place to bring your children too. Hopefully we will win the lottery so we can buy a holiday home here! The deer hide made the whole visit perfect for us as the thought of going back to a tent after a day of walking just didnt do it! Thanks Candy for developing such a lovely place for people to stay! I will definetly be telling my friends all about i and would love to return in summer months!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauzKro
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

Have just returned from a lovely 3 day break to the New Forest. It was mine and my boyfriends first visit and we're already planning on returning in the summer. Although cold, we was lucky with the weather for February as it was bright and sunny with snow still on the ground.
We was greeted by Candy who was very friendly and welcoming and made a point of letting us know she would be around if needed.
We stayed in The Deer Hide, which was very cosy, warm and bright. Had everything you would need utensil wise, we cooked the first night.
The location itself was stunning, so much to explore. We loved spotting the wild horses and even spotted deer on our last day. We liked to stop off after an energetic walk for some lunch or a drink at one of the friendly local pubs which again were all very welcoming.
This isn't a place we would normally of chosen but so glad we did, one of the best mini breaks we've had. Will definitely be returning in the summer with friends!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redlynch
The Bell Inn
The Bell Inn
#1 of 1 in Brook
Woodfalls Inn
Woodfalls Inn
#2 of 4 in Redlynch
Forest View Bed and Breakfast

Been to Forest Edge Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!