“Friendly and cosy B&B”

Ranked #1 of 8 Connel B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Friendly and cosy B&B”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Very friendly, relaxed and cosy B&B. Leslie, Brian and Karen were very welcoming. The bedroom was lovely and warm with comfortable beds. The only downside was the proximity to the road, there was a bit of traffic noise but if didn't stop me having the best nights sleep I've had in a while.

My only complaint about breakfast was there was too much choice, about 10 different cereals and toppings and another 10 or so choices of a hot breakfast. I had pesto scrambled eggs but there were at least 2 other things on the menu tempting me. The fresh fruit smoothie was delicious. You be hard pushed to get such a great breakfast at any other B&B.

All in all a great stay.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
grovehouseconnel, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our breakfast menu is well received by our guests , and several people have problems chosing a main course from the choice we have on offer !. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your 'eggs pesto'.
It was lovely to meet you all , and I hope to be able to welcome you all back to Grove House in the not too distant future.

Karen Webster.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2011

My husband is working in the Oban area and has been staying at the Groove House with a colleague for around 2 weeks, so I decided to visit him this weekend. Brian, Lesley and Karen were extremly friendly and accommodating at all times in our stay (thank you!), and they run a good guest house. The rooms are nicely decorated and have some lovely homely touches. The breakfasts are very good, and overall compared to the other accommodation in the area, I would say Grove house is a good choice. I would recomend having a car to get around ideally although Conel is served by a fairly good bus service. We took a day trip to the stuning Island of Mull and would highly recomend this too.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
grovehouseconnel, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Thank you for taking time to post a review. It was a pleasure to meet you during your short stay with us. We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Benderloch, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Excellent service with attention to detail
Warm welcome and lovely breakfast with excellent choice

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at grove House. Sorry that I never managed to meet you during your stay . Both Lesley and brian said were all a delight to look after !

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Conveniently located, friendly and comfortable house professionally run to a high standard. Rooms not particularly spacious but well-equipped and comfortable, and it's lovely to have the option of a bath. Cleanliness is excellent. Range of choice at breakfast is impressive, delicious and substantial, served at an elegantly presented table which encourages inter-action with fellow guests. Attention to detail is excellent.
I stayed here 2 or 3 times in 2009 when owners Sean and Karen were residing here and I knew they were planning to build an additional 5 star B+B across at Barcaldine. Understanding Karen's professionalism I was expecting, on my recent stay at Grove House (25th - 28th Jan) to find standards unchanged, and I was not disappointed. Lesley and Brian are welcoming, helpful and clearly committed to continuing the best traditions of Grove House. I'll be back, quite possibly twice before the Spring - and I'm not that easy to please!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
grovehouseconnel, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Grove House. Both Lesley and Brian enjoyed your company during your stay. They most certainly enjoy the running of the bed and breakfast and take great pride in doing so.

We hope to see you back at grove House in the not too distant future.

Do pop by at our new property - 'Ardtorna' next time you are in the area. There is always coffee and home baking on the go !

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We stayed for one night in Grove House in September 2010 but have only recently become a member of trip advisor and as this place stuck in our mind we felt we should leave a review now we have the facility to do so.

We booked this accommodation through LateRooms. At the time we visited there seemed to be some problem with the booking system (and having now read through other reviews on TripAdvisor this seems to not be the first instance, although at the time we were explicitly told this was unusual). On arrival our booking was not able to be located and therefore we had to stand in the entrance while this was sorted and a room (luckily still free) identified for us. This was not particularly troublesome as it wasn't too late and we hadn't travelled that far but is worth noting that it may be advisable to phone to double check your booking should you have made it over the internet. Similarly when we visited they were unable to accept card payments (visa or debit) and required payment in cash or cheque form, which is again worth noting as the only charge-free cash machine in the local area is in a small shop which is obviously closed in the evenings.

This Guest House is located in Connel just outside of Oban. It's situated unfortunately close to the main road through the town but we were lucky to stay on the opposite side of the building so were not too troubled with road noise. We found it difficult to find much to do in Connel itself but the surrounding area really is beautiful (its one of our favourite parts of the world and keeps drawing us back for visits). There is however a hotel nearby and a couple of pubs which will do evening meals. The guest rooms were adequate and clean with the standard facilities expected in a Scottish Guest House. There is an internet service available at a charge, although £5 for one night's use seems on the higher side. The breakfast selection was above average with some more unusual options along with the standard Scottish breakfast. The breakfast dining arrangement is around one large table seated with all the other guests. This is obviously not to everyone's taste and has the potential to be somewhat awkward- particularly if you are sharing the accommodation with another large group as was the case when we stayed. The owner, who was present at breakfast, however was friendly and professional and definitely helped minimise any awkwardness of sitting at a table with strangers.

Unfortunately the reason this property has stuck in our mind is not a positive one. We travel frequently, both for work and leisure, and the experience we had on checkout was definitely a first for us both! After breakfast we returned to our room to shower and pack. At no point during check-in/breakfast had we been told when the check-out time was and decided to look in the information booklet in the room to see when it was but nothing inside stated the check-out time. We assumed it would be 11 or 12 (as standard) but decided that since we had nothing to work on would assume the earlier option and proceeded to get ready. At 10.15 there was a knock on the bedroom door from a member of staff. She then stated that checkout was 10 and we had to vacate the room immediately. Unfortunately I was taking a shower at this point and my bemused partner was left to apologise to the member of staff and explain that we had assumed the check-out was 11 or 12 and had not received any information otherwise. Initially it was insisted that the check-out time was stated in the information booklet but after looking through it herself the member of staff quickly conceded. She then said that the check-out time was on the Grove House website and again my boyfriend was left to explain that we had booked through LateRooms so had not looked at the Guest House's own website. Having explained the reason for the confusion he apologised again and said that we could be packed and out in 20 minutes as I was still in the shower. To this he was told "no" and again that we "had to vacate immediately" as the room needed to be cleaned. My boyfriend immediately packed the remainder of our belongings and proceeded to settle the bill whilst I, having heard this discussion, got out of the shower and dressed in the bathroom. During this whole time the bedroom door was left open and the member of staff was accompanied by a colleague (perhaps a family member) who stood in the door proceeded to treat my boyfriend like we were staging some sort of "sit-in".

It was only when we found ourselves seated in the car at 10.20, myself with wet hair (having been unable to use the hair dryer), my boyfriend unsure if we had managed to pack up all our belongings, that the complete absurdity of the situation actually hit home. At no stage had we been offered the option of a late check-out fee for the courtesy of being able to pack properly and blow-dry my hair. Nor was there any form of warning of imminent check-out time despite it not being written on the guest literature. Nor was there any grace period offered- unless the 15 minutes of time during which we were oblivious of our error was to be counted. It is hardly the kind of customer service you would expect in a hotel, not mind a country "Guest House".

Obviously the rooms do need to be cleaned between occupancy, and having stayed in the accommodation it is clear that this is done to a high standard, but I don't think that this justifies the behaviour. I should also point out that we do not think that a 10am check-out is unreasonably early just unusual (you certainly would struggle to find anywhere with an earlier check out time) and definitely worthy of mention in the literature or even via word by the staff at check-in or even during breakfast which is served from 8am-9am so would provide adequate warning! It is highly unusual to not have this key piece of information on your guest information. I hope that this has changed since we visited, or perhaps our experience was unusual (generously you could perhaps say that the fluster over being unable to find the booking meant the member of staff forgot her normal welcome pitch which would include when the check-out would be the next morning), however a cursory check of the guest house website still does not seem to have an explicit check-out time noted.

As said earlier it is unfortunate that this is the lasting memory of our stay at Grove House as otherwise the accommodation is comfortable and certainly not over-priced.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
grovehouseconnel, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, January 27, 2011
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, but I am sorry you had an issue over our check out time.

We pride ourselves in the running of our guest house which we have had for over 25 years.

Our 10am check out time has been in operation since the first day we opened the doors back in 1985.
You booked your accommodation through Late Rooms. I have just checked back to your booking and printed off your booking confirmation they sent you . If you look at it, it clearly states in capital letters on the 3rd page that 'check in is from 4pm and check out is 10am.'
We also state this on our web site, and have done so for the past 6 years when we launched our web page.

I have just had a lenghtly chat with Lesley and her husband Brian who were involved in serving you during your stay with us.She takes great pride in making guests feel at home , I receive many thank you cards and e -mails from guests who have stayed with us , and many pay reference to the care and attention Lesley offers them during their stay.

Lesley knocked your bedroom door just after 10am and asked if you were going to be long as she needed the laundry from your room. She went back up 15 minutes later to find a pile of towels on the floor outside your door and your door was ajar . She then tapped the door again asking if you were going to be much longer. It was at this point you said ' we will be another half hour'.
Lesley then said ' I am sorry but check out is actually 10am and it does say that on your Late Room booking sheet.
She at no point asked you to leave immediately , and is most upset that you could even think she would say this.

It is such a pitty that you did not read our booking terms and conditions before you made your booking with us. Perhaps doing so in future may avoid situations like this happening.

Most bed and breakfasts have check out times around 10am , as opposed to hotels who have later check out times. I have studied all the bed and breakfast web sites close by who operate in Oban and have beeen unable to find any having a check out time later than 11am and not one that has a check out at 12am throughout Argyll.

I do hope that this has clarified our position.
UK
Reviewed November 9, 2010

The welcome was fantastic and on arrival we were offered complimentary wine and shown to our room. If you see the photos you will see the quality of the rooms which were great. The rooms were decorated to a high standard, the bathrobes were lovely and snuggly and it all worked really well.

There were a few chocolates in the room with fresh water, tea and coffee making facilities and the breakfasts were to die for. As a vegetarian I always worry about breakfasts but I had amazing pesto scrambled eggs on a bagel and it was one of the best breakfasts ever. My hubby had a full Scottish breakfast with haggis which he assures me was lovely. :D

We would definitely return as it was so homely and everyone was so welcoming. It surpassed all our expectations.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We stayed at Grove house for three nights from the 18th October and on arrival were greeted by Karen who was very pleasant and chatty. We were shown to our room and offered a glass of wine not a bottle as had been suggested by other people. As I am a teetotal person I wasn't bothered about that at all. Our room was very well equipped and very clean and comfortable and we didn't have any noise problems at all so were able to have a good sleep. Towels were changed everyday which was very commendable.Breakfast was served communally and between 8 and 9 which was great as it was still early enough to get out and about. It was a very slick operation and the choice was amazing. We were also given access to the residents lounges at the nearby Lora Falls hotel where we had our evening meal, it was literally 1 minute away the food was excellent and the staff very friendly. After our evening meal we sat one of two lounges and had a game of scrabble which was very relaxing after a days walking. We'll certainly be back as it suited our needs very well. I must also thank Lesley for looking after us so well, all in all a great experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Falls Of Lora
#1 of 13 in Oban
Corran House
Corran House
#16 of 93 in Oban

Been to Grove House? Share your experiences!