“Overnight stay in Connell”
Review of Grove House

and 1 more site!
Grove House
Ranked #1 of 8 Connel B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Just felt the need to comment on a very pleasant overnight stay in the grove house guest house Connell. My husband and I were leaving our daughter to Ballet West in Taynuilt and booked this guest house as a stop over. Kirsty and Karen were delightful hosts and the rooms were comfortable and well equipped. The breakfast was amazing and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your overnight stay at Grove House.

I was most pleased to read that you were comfortable during your time with us, and that our gourmet breakfast went down well with you all.

I do hope that your daughter has settled well at Ballet West. Perhaps we will be able to welcome you all back for another visit next time you are over visiting her.

There are newer reviews for Grove House

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed for 1 night as we where catching the ferry to Uist the next morning. We were shown to our room by a lovely young lady who was very chatty and friendly. Room was small but had comfy beds. We did not get to sample the breakfast as we were leaving too early in the morning. A bit of a pity as I was looking forward to the choices on the menu. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your very brief stay with us at Grove House.

I was most pleased to read that the reception received upon arrival was good. Kirsty always looks forward to welcoming guests to stay.

I do hope that you had a lovely time in Uist , and perhaps on your next visit you will be able to sample our extensive gourmet breakfast.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Arrived after ferry delay and they were so understanding, bed to sink in, everything like home from home, and good home cooked breakfast. Totally recommended, and would pick over any hotel any day of the week !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your brief stay with us at Grove House.

Such a shame your ferry was delayed and you were not able to take full advantage of the facilities we offer.
We were more than happy to accommodate your late arrival , it was not a problem in the slightest.

I do look forward to welcoming you both back for another stay sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here during a family vacation with three other people in early June 2013. Booked Grove House as it was the first B&B with rooms available after phoning over a dozen in the area and I'm happy to say I was not disappointed. I had stayed in the Oban area several times before and hadn't always had a very positive experience. The area simply gets a lot of tourists and when demand is high, standards can quite easily slip. Not at this place though. The house is beautiful and the rooms very well appointed for a B&B. The welcome was warm and breakfast lovely. It was very good to have choice as not everyone in our party was a fan of the full cooked variety. Would definitely stay again and recommend to anyone looking for a charming place to stay and who wants to make sure their money is well-spent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Grove House.

I was most pleased to read that you all liked the style and design of the property, and that our gourmet breakfast went down well with you all.

I look forward to welcoming you back for another stay in the not too distant future.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Enjoyed our two night stay at Grove House. Kirsty gave us a very warm welcome after a long, hard day's cycling. At the end of a long conversation with Kirsty, felt we had been friends for a long time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 2 night stay with us at Grove House.

May I say that it was such a delight to meet you both and to chat to you during your stay.

I shall pass your kind word onto Kirsty. I do know that she will most certainly get in touch with you when she makes it over to Australia. She has your contact details safely stored !

I do hope that you both enjoy the rest of your cycling trip around Scotland.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have found Grove House difficult to review. Some aspects were better than others.

To start with the plus points:
- there was a good welcome:
- the room that we had was large with a comfortable bed and was spotlessly clean;
- the WIfi was adequate;
- the breakfast itself was OK, but not that special.

The negative aspects were;

- the bathroom of the room looked out onto the pavement and a busy road;
- I liked the idea of communal tables for breakfast, but the dining room is small and feels cramped, accessing the buffet table when other guests were seated was not easy;
- the car park is small and one may have to park on the road;
- for me this B&B has a confined feel;
- I have had better value rooms at other establishments in the area.

For me Grove House felt cramped and had little atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 1 night stay with us at Grove House.

I was most pleased to read that the welcome received upon arrival was good. This is one of the many arras that we excel at , as we always look forward to welcoming people to stay with us.

You mentioned that your room was spotlessly clean and the bed was comfortable.
We pay particular attention to comfort and cleanliness throughout the property.

The high speed complimentary Wi Fi that is available in every room of the house is most efficient. I was pleased to read that you found it ' adequate '

Our award winning gourmet breakfast with a choice of 15 plus starters, 10 main courses, fresh fruit smoothie, Tea, Coffee and toasted breads is well received by our guests.
We receive several comments daily from people stating that it was the best breakfast they have enjoyed during their tour of Scotland.
I am sorry if you both found it to be just ' ok '

I shall now address the negative issues that you have raised ...

I am a little unsure as to what the problem was with your bathroom looking onto a main road and a pavement as each bathroom window is dressed with a blackout blind.
Perhaps you were looking to enjoy loch view while using the facilities ?
We designed the property for the bedrooms to enjoy the views and not the bathrooms.

You mentioned that the dinning area was a little cramped around the buffet area.
This I would agree with you . If all guests are at the buffet table it can become a little conjested.
We have just received our report from Visit Scotland, and I would like to point out that we in fact scored a 5 star rating for our breakfast set up and menu on offer.

You mentioned the lack of parking on offer...
As soon as you arrived at Grove House and before we even showed you to your bedroom you announced " I am rather disappointed at the lack of parking space "
This we found most strange as the area was empty with only one car using the entire car park !
We have 7 letting bedrooms, and 8 car parking spaces on our driveway.
Obviously if each bedroom arrives with more that one car then the over spill of cars will have to park on the village road next to the house.
This are is very safe , quiet and more importantly free to use.

I do hope that I have been able to address the issues that you have raised in your review.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Grove House on 28 August for two nights.

We were given a new room which was large and airy with beautiful wooden furniture. The room was very well serviced and spotless throughout. Hospitality tray with tea, coffee, sugar and milk. Bottle of still water in room. It had remote controlled velux window on ceiling with blackout blind. The bed was well made however I found the mattress sagged in the middle which made me quite uncomfortable at times. I moved onto the floor during the second night of our stay but would like to note I didn't speak to the hosts about this as it didn't affect my stay.

Karen (owner) and Kirsty were both very lovely people. We were made to feel very at home.

We made use of the private gardens and slipway into the loch available to guests of Grove House. We found the location excellent and very handy for The Glue Pot which shows the football!

We were on a 'road trip' type holiday and were heading up north after the Grove House, we found it very helpful when Karen said we should contact her if we don't manage to find anywhere as she has friends who she can contact for us. That was very nice, thanks Karen!

So, overall, a very nice stay at the Grove House.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

I was most pleased to read that you liked the design and style of the newly decorated bedroom.

Sorry that you found the bed to be a little uncomfortable ...
All of our mattresses are brand new for 2013. Each are memory foam and pocket sprung, and are dressed with deluxe mattress toppers.
We turn the mattresses on the 1st of every month to prevent any indentations being evident.
I noticed that you stayed with us at the end of August. I do wish you had mentioned this to me after your fist night sleep and we would have most certainly rectified this issue.

I do hope that you both enjoyed your time up North, and I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back for another stay in the not too distant future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Falls Of Lora
The Ranald Hotel
The Ranald Hotel
#4 of 13 in Oban
Muthu Alexandra Hotel

Been to Grove House? Share your experiences!