“A Wonderful B&B!”

Ranked #1 of 8 Connel B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“A Wonderful B&B!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have stayed here with friends on several occasions, and this visit did not disappoint! From the warm welcome from Kirsty to the amazing Scottish breakfast, the whole stay was a pleasure. The room was spotless and really well appointed, the bed comfortable and the full sized bath, with luxury toiletries, made relaxing a must!
If only all B&Bs were like this one.......

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on what must be your tenth plus visit to Grove House.

May I say that it is always a delight to welcome you both back, and also to meet your friends too.

I look forward to your next visit in August of this year .

I shall pass your kind words onto Kirsty. She will be most pleased indeed.

See you soon !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here for two nights during the middle of June. The staff was helpful and very friendly. We had three separate rooms and the kids enjoyed rooms 6&7 both with twin beds. They loved that the rooms were "up in the attic". Definitely a kids dream. I stayed in one of the rooms with my daughter and although it was a little tight on space the bed slept very well. The other attic room was larger and could have easily accommodated two adults. Although the bathroom for these two rooms is at the foot of the stairs (which only are used for access to these two rooms) I didn't mind because the shower was fantastic. The shower stall itself is on the smaller side but it had great water pressure and hot water immediately and lasted throughout.

My mother had room 1 which was a double and was well decorated with a comfortable en-suite bathroom. She said it functioned well.

Breakfast was delicious and one morning I had the scrambled eggs with salmon and oat cakes. Wasn't a fan of the oat cakes but the rest was great. Plenty of the standard toast, cereal, tea, jam and juice. The coffee was great!

I would definitely stay here again. The location so close to Oban is quite nice since accomodations there can be difficult to find at the same quality and price.

Thanks for a great stay,

The Conways

KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 2 night stay with us with your children.

May I say that it was a delight to meet you all and to chat to you during your time with us.

I was most pleased to read that your children loved our family room set up. It is a super area for 2 adults and 2 children that is sectioned off from all of our other guest bedrooms.

Great that you liked our showers. Each bathroom in the property has been renovated in the past 6 months, and each shower too has been fitted with a pump to give added water pressure .

I wad delighted that you enjoyed our gourmet breakfast along with our freshly ground coffee.

I do hope that you all enjoyed the rest of your time in the UK, and I do hope that we are able to welcome you all back for another stay in the not too distant future.

Once again many thanks for your review. We always welcome comments from our guests.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place has very good reviews which was the deciding factor in booking. However I was left feeling very disappointed. The room we stayed in was very small and cramped with very little room to move. Although it was jam packed with additional amenities it just meant there wasn't much room left for us. The room itself was very clean. There were complimentary chocolates in the room but mine looked a little on the mouldy/out of date side so I didn't indulge. The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows very lumpy. I got a terrible nights sleep and felt exhausted in the morning. So much so that I just wanted to go home instead of continuing our holiday up north. However, the bathroom was nice and the bathrobes provided were a nice touch. I also didn't like having to place my breakfast order the night before as I'm not sure what I am going to be in the mood for until the morning itself. However the food was ok and edible although I have had much better food in B&B's in Scotland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sweet2505
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
I am rather confused by this review you have just posted as Grove House does not offer chocolates to guests. You stated that you stayed with us in June 2013 , most strange indeed.

I would however like to address several of the issues that you have brought up within your review.
The main reason being that a review like this can be rather misleading to future guests who may wish to stay with us.

You mentioned that our beds were uncomfortable and that the pillows were lumpy.
Each bed has a pocket sprung mattress which is dressed with a deluxe mattress topper. Our pillows are top of the range Norwegian design as well being suitable allergy sufferers. This particular product receives great reviews on their company web site.
I would also like to mention that every bed within the property has been replaced in 2013.
We receive several comments daily about how wonderful our beds are, and this is evident on many of the review sites that Grove House is linked to.

You brought up that the room was cramped and full of amenities - another confusing statement for me.
Each bedroom has a bed, 2 bedside tables with a lamp , a wall mounted TV , a wardrobe and a hospitality tray. These are all requirements needed to achieve 4 star status.
All of our bedrooms are designed in a modern style, each fitted with an en suite bathroom.
All bathrooms are brand new for 2013, each with a bath and a pressured shower.
We have had fabulous feedback about the design of these en suites, and have passed on the material information to many guests who have enquired as they plan to renovate their own bathroom at home.

You mentioned that we ask guests to order their main course for breakfast the evening before. This you are correct - we offer an extensive gourmet breakfast with a choice of 15 starters, freshly prepared fruit smoothie along with 10 main courses ranging from our speciality dish to bagels with local smoked salmon and lashings of cream cheese.
By taking the orders the previous evening it allows us to offer such a vast choice, and maintains a good quality of service.

May I take this opportunity to ask you to please contact me directly by e mail with your contact details, name and date that you stayed. I would be delighted to address this with you directly.
Most strange that you did not mention any of these details to me in person.

I personally work at Grove House daily. I chat to each and every guest, and ask if they enjoyed their stay with us. Most strange that this was not mentioned up to me.
I have owned the property for over 25 years , and take great pride in welcoming guests to stay with us, and I feel most fortunate to do a job that I enjoy and always look forward to each day and new guests.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

came here for my birthday before heading to mull and loved it. B&B was very well decorated. the doors to bathroom looked like wardrobe doors and i thought we were away to have a tiny bathroom but was surprised to find a massive en suite with a bath and everything. bath robes and towels, shampoo, soap and bubble bath was all provided. Girl was very friendly and told us where to eat. Just a two minute walk down the road we found a lovely place to sit and watch the sunset on a glorious day, very romantic.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

May I say that I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us , and that you were able to use all of the little extras that we like our guests to have during a stay with us.

Every bathroom in the property has been re designed to a high standard in the past 6 months. Great too that you had a pleasant surprise when you opened the door to the en suite !

I hope that your time in Mull was enjoyable, and I do hope that we are able to welcome you both back to stay with us in the not too distant future.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Requested a late check out, but this was non negotiable. Not accommodating at all. Ended up feeling stressed and upset by patronising attitude of the host.If we had known that check out would be as early, we would have booked elsewhere. The host obviously was not appreciative of our money as she suggested that we should have booked into a hotel. Thanks to the hospitality of the Oyster Inn and their staff for being so helpful thereafter.

KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your one night stay with us at Grove House.

I would like to point out to you that it clearly states on our web site that check out is indeed 10am. This is a normal check out time for a bed and breakfast.

I was asked by yourself at the breakfast table on the morning of your departure if you could stay in the room until lunchtime as you were attending a wedding at 1.30pm in our village.
I told you that we were unable to offer this service as we needed the allocated time to turn the room around for our next arrivals.
At this stage I could see that you were not happy, and it was at this point I tried to say in a most polite fashion that you would have been better to book a hotel as they often are able to offer a late check out for an additional cost.

May I pay reference to your heading on your review - ' Eat you breakfast quick as check out is 10am '
There is no need whatsoever for people to eat their breakfast in a rushed fashion. Our breakfast is served over a 1.5 hour period, and at no point within that time scale do we make our guests feel rushed.
We take great pride in the operation of our bed and breakfast, and have done so for over 25 years.

I would however like to make a suggestion to you. Please read booking terms and conditions before making a reservation. If you have a request contact the establishment prior to your booking , and not just expect that a service will be provided.

Lastly , it is not adult like behaviour to conduct yourself in the manner in which you did in front of the other guests at the breakfast table when I told you that we were unable to help.
You created an atmosphere which 2 couples commented on when you departed from the table.

I was delighted to hear that The Oyster Inn were able to offer you their public toilet for you to do your make up prior to the wedding.
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We were very lucky to get a room at Grove House. The house itself is very quaint and cute while the staff are very friendly and accommodating. Nothing could have prepared us for the delicious breakfast that awaited us in the morning. So good! And so many choices if you want something lite or something hearty they can arrange it. A quick walk to a pub down the road got us a great meal and drinks. Would definitely recommend Grove House to anyone and wished we stayed longer than one night. Thanks

KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at Grove House.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the many aspects of our place , and that our gourmet breakfast went down well too.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you both back for another stay in the not too distant future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Today we drove from Edinburgh, Oban bound. We decided to stop at a B & B that looked good along the way.
From the minute we got out of the car, these guys were great.
Very friendly, lovely facilities and helpful advice on where to eat and how to get around.
It was like staying with friends.
Thanks for the great stay, can't wait to vine back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your review on your stay with us at Grove House.

I was happy that we were able to accommodate you. We had a cancellation the morning of your arrival. So delighted to be able to offer you a room.
This is most unusual as we tend to be booked out well in advance most of the time.

May I say it was a delight to meet you, and I do hope that it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back for another stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Falls Of Lora
#7 of 13 in Oban
Ardtorna B&B
Ardtorna B&B
#1 of 3 in Barcaldine

Been to Grove House? Share your experiences!