“Fantastic place, friendly staff, delicious breakfast and great location”
Review of Grove House

and 1 more site!
Grove House
Ranked #1 of 8 Connel B&B and Inns
“Fantastic place, friendly staff, delicious breakfast and great location”
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night here and it's fab! Karen the owner was really friendly as was her house manager who greeted us with a lovely glass of wine! After the most delicious breakfast we were shown round Karen's other b & b the Ardtorna, what a place! Stunning views and very modern, I will be staying there too. I would recommend either of these places. Looking forward to coming back. The beds are super comfy too.

• Stayed August 2012
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us at grove House.

It was a delight to meet you and to be able to chat to you during your brief stay. I shall pass your kind words onto Verity who helps me run the bed and breakfast. She is a fabulous host, and always enjoys welcoming guests to Grove House and being of help to them during their stay with planning trips etc. She takes great pride in doing so. The magnitude of ' Thank you " cards she receives is a testament to her kindness and generosity.

I was a pleasure to show you around our sister property. Delighted to read that you liked it.

I look forward to welcoming you both back in the not too distant future to either Grove House or Ardtorna...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bo'ness
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Our stay at the Grove House was fantastic lovely rooms and a nice family atmosphere with a home from home feel to it with the extra touches of the facilities in the rooms to the Superb breakfast and with the glass of wine also Karen and Verity made us feel so welcome a definite if going to be in that area again would stay there and we will recommend it to anyone heading to that area for a one night stay or longer using it as a great base with restaurants on your doorstep what more could you wish for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012

It was a delight to meet you, and to chat to you during your brief stay.

I am delighted to read that the glass of wine served upon arrival went down well !

Our gourmet breakfasts are a real treat, and I am pleased you enjoyed yours.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Grove House in the not too distant future...
Loess Hills
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Opulent bedroom and overwhelming selection of breakfast entrées. Warm welcome at our arrival. Wi-fi. Parking easier on the street than near the house. Stayed only one night, but easily could see how it could be a hub from which one could explore this region.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mentzelia
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your brief stay with us at grove House.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your bedroom. We have been most pleased with all of our newly designed bedrooms, and the styles have gone down very well with our recent guests.

I do hope to be able to welcome you back to our bed and breakfast in the not too distant future , and perhaps next time you will manage to stay longer to be able to explore all the lovely sites we have to offer in the area.
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My mum and I stayed for two nights at the Grove House at the end of August 2012. Verity and Karen are excellent hosts, the room was immaculate, spotlessly clean and the towels were lovely and soft The small touches, like the glass of wine on arrival, sweets in your room and the tea making facilities in your bedroom are a really nice touch. The breakfasts are fabulous and the variety is excellent, a feast for everyone .the freshly made smoothies are fab too. We were made very welcome and Verity and Karen were really helpful, friendly and honestly couldn't do enough for us. My mum, who is 87years old had a great time and is looking forward to returning for a short stay next May. I would like to thank you both for a very enjoyable stay and I would have no hesitation in recommending your guest house to my friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank you for taking a time to post a review on your 2 night stay with us at Grove House. I am delighted to read that both you and your lovely mum enjoyed your stay with us. Great to read too that the wine upon arrival went down well, along with all the little extra touches we like to include during a stay with us.

Our gourmet breakfasts are a real feast, and I was pleased that you both enjoyed each breakfast.

May i say it was a delight to meet you both, and to be able to chat to you during your stay. Please pass on our best wishes to your wonderful mum, it was such a pleasure to have her as a guest .
Gothenburg
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I really am a hotel-kind-of-person, but this B&B really does it for me! This was my third visit to Scotland, and thus my third stay at Grove House. I've travelled here with a friend, with my husband, and now it was my mother's turn to accompany me for a three-night stay!
I love how Connel is situated and it makes for easy day-trips to Oban, Glencoe, Fort William and Inveraray. I haven't made it out to the islands yet, so I guess I'll have to come back!
I was a little bit curious about the new manager, Verity. Karen and Lesley had taken such good care of me during my previous two stays!
But Verity is very charming and attentive! My mother told me that she never felt that welcome anywhere earlier, and she really appreciated the glass of chilled Chardonnay after our long drive from Glasgow! I had booked two doubles, to give us some space (I've done this before) and we were shown to our rooms upstairs. I "let" my mother have my favourite green room and she later commented on how comfortable that bed was!
My room was at the other corner, and I was a little bit worried about the road... Believe me - I am a LIGHT sleeper! I wake up from wind, my husband breathing and just about everything! But I slept like a baby every night, and didn't hear anything. That road really isn't very busy late at night, so no problem there.
Since we stayed for three nights, I had the chance to try my three favourite breakfasts again! The Argyll Mushrooms, the Grove House Specialty and the Smoked Salmon Bagel platter. All of them prepared to perfection and just as good as I remembered! And my mother went crazy for the smoothies!!!
I keep saying that I need to book the owner's other property, Ardtorna, for my next stay just to see how it is... But I love the cozy atmosphere and the ambiance of Grove House, so I'll probably be back for a fourth stay someday!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 3rd visit to Grove House.

It was a delight to see you again, and this time to meet your mum. I was pleased to read that you both enjoyed your stay.

Verity , who helps me run the bed and breakfast is wonderful, and the large volume of ' Thank you ' cards and letters she receives from guests is a testament to her professionalism. She takes great pride in the operation of the business.

I look forward to welcoming you back to either Grove House or our 5 star gold sister property Ardtorna next time you come back to Scotland...

Please pass our best wishes onto your delightful mum. It was such a pleasure to meet her.
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at the Grove during a trip I took with my mum to Scotland. The place looked fine to get our head down for the night - thats all we were staying for. However, this place is without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed! I am a real-world travel advisor selling tours within the UK and all across the globe. However, the Grove is one place I will ensure my colleagues and clients stay well clear of!

My mum booked a standard twin room for one night on 23-08-2012 for a total of £50. The booking stated breakfast was not included. However, as we booked through Laterooms, breakfast was mandatory at £7.50 per person. This is something we were forced to pay for and did so under duress; however, after being told that we were to recive a complimentary glass of wine we didn't think it was that bad.

We were shown to our room which was more like a single, but as it was only for one night we decided to let it go. I headed down to reception for our wine and requested red. As the lady poured white wine into the two glasses we were told that red wasn't an option as we would be obliged to pay for sheets if there was a spillage. We were absolutely stunned at this absurd rule and purposely bought a bottle of red wine & consumed this in our room and giggled at such a silly rule!

After about 45 minutes, the glass wall in room 7 was becoming more of a problem as it can be seen through (contrary to the opinion of the hotel workers at the time). We ended up not mentioning this as we were so exhausted (we'd driven for 7 hours) and tried to get to sleep at around 2145. However, after almost 90 minutes of not being able to sleep for one reason or another (car headlights through the glass wall or noise from the main A road) I ventured downstairs in search of help. I asked about ear plugs as the noise was unbearable and a fan as the room was like an oven (my mum almost had an asthma attack due too 13.5 tog quilts being used in August). These requests - perfectly normal from such an establishment - were met with very puzzled looks. We were asked about 4 times if we were light sleepers, but as neither of us are, our response was obviously "no". Neither of the items requested were available. In place of a fan, we were given quilt covers to use as top sheets, but this outraged myself and my mum and we tried to find the woman once more, but she'd disappeared.

After a 5 minute wait, we decided we were packing our bags and leaving. However, when the woman realised she was urgently trying to arrange an alternative room! She mentioned that there was another room, but she had to wait until 2300 before giving it to us (our confirmation says if we're arriving later than 1800 we should phone - no mention of 2300). The room (room 5) was an improvement on our first room, but the experience was completely soured. The room was still situated close to the main road, so noise was still a problem, but we just put up with it.

The following morning I took our cases to the car to ensure we could get on the road again quickly. On our way out to the car, we were followed and asked if we were "putting the cases in the car first and coming back in for breakfast" by the woman on duty (same woman as the previous night). My reply was yes and we did so. The breakfast wasn't the best I've ever had - certainly not worth £7.50 anyway. I mean, we were offered a fruit smoothie, but there was nothing smooth about it!

We came away from the Grove absolutely furious, but I'd left my number for the proprietor to call me when she could do as she was out (a common thing reading previous reviews). When she called, I was told we were light sleepers which again we certainly are not!

A few points that are worth noting:
1 - bottled water is included in each room. By botted I mean this is a used bottle of 'posh' mineral water, refilled and the lid attached again
2 - the Grove has signs outside stating each room has en-suite facilities. This is not true (Trading Standards are to be informed at this stage). Our original room (room 7) has shared facilities as a staircase separates the shared bathroom from the room itself
3 - previous reviews state that the card machine has been 'out of order' or 'broken'. This is untrue - we were told that Karen simply doesn't have a card machine and all payments are cash or cheque only

Take it from a professional travel advisor that this 'hotel' should be avoided at all costs!

Having looked at the reviews on here I can also see the replies from Karen Webster and I think that she should review her customer service approach, her policies in general and the way in which she treats her guests. And Karen, if you are reading - WE ARE NOT LIGHT SLEEPERS!!

Room Tip: Don't even bother!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Adam S
KarenOby, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Adam,
I will respond to your review and address the points you have brought up. Before I do so I would however like to say that your comments are very different to those that I received from you on the telephone yesterday one hour after your departure from Grove House. You clearly stated that our gourmet breakfast was great and there was no cause for complaint and that the customer service received from Verity was faultless, and that she dealt with your issues with ease.

I feel the need to address each issue, and i shall do so in order of your review. I feel the need to do so for future travellers who may wish to book with us at Grove House...

Your mother booked our standard twin room ( room 7 ) that states it has a shared bathroom. This bedroom shares a bathroom with room 6 . We sell these rooms together as a room for 4 persons - either 4 adults or 2 adults and 2 children.If for some reason we have a single booking for either one of the 2 bedrooms then the second bedroom is closed off. We never have 2 separate bookings thus 4 people sharing the one bathroom who do not know each other.
This was the case for the evening that you stayed - room 6 was closed off and the bathroom was en suite for you. An en suite bathroom does not need to be within the bedroom, it just has to be for the use of that particular bedroom - which in your case was the situation.

I think as it seems that neither of you read the room description and the terms and conditions of the booking, and even the location of our bed and breakfast as you thought we were in the centre of Oban you got off to a bad start . I received a call from your mother saying that she had driven past the property and was now in Oban and would not be checking in until later than the usual check in time.

We are a bed and breakfast and not a travel lodge, so yes our total costing for the night includes breakfast, and it is most unusual for a bed and breakfast to deduct the cost of the breakfast. Would one go into a shop and buy a dressing gown and ask for the belt to be removed and deduct a sum of the money from the item ? the answer is an obvious no - and the same principal applies to a ' bed and breakfast '
You mentioned several times during our telephone conversation that you are in the travel industry - so surely you should know this is the case, and to read room booking terms and conditions before making a booking of any sort.

We clearly state that we offer a complimentary glass of Chardonnay to our guests upon arrival. This is something that goes down well with our customers and they often sit for long periods of time enjoying it in our large conservatory.
You requested red wine and were told we only served white. Verity explained to you that it was only white wine that we served . She explained to you the reason why, and we clearly state in our bedroom folders that red wine must not be consumed within the bedroom as it can easily stain bedding, carpets etc.
This is something you blatently chose to ignore , and even giggled about doing so. Not the manner in which I would expect a travel operator to behave ...

I need to point out that your bedroom was not even situated near the main road, it was overlooking the garden. You mentioned that you could see headlights through the glass blocks - impossible as you were on the second floor. The frosted glass blocked wall is an internal wall so I am not sure how car head lights could possibly have penetrated it.

The bedroom temperature - why on earth did you not turn the heating off in your room ? It was on full heat and your bedroom registered 24.7 at 11pm just after you moved to room 5. Verity did not check this as she presumed that you would have turned it off had you been so hot.
Each bedroom has a top sheet and blanket in the wardrobe ( this information too is in the bedroom folder ). Verity gave you 2 spare duvet covers , and found it most strange that you were not happy with a top sheet.

Another few points that I need to address - the glass bottles in the bedrooms are filled daily with filtered water from the kitchen. This is perfectly acceptable as we have wonderful drinking water in the Highlands. The bottles are sterilised daily with Milton .

All rooms are indeed all en suite - this I have addressed above.

Lastly we do not accept credit card facilities at Grove House and we do not advertise on any site that we do so. No idea where you managed to get this information from...

May I take this opportunity to say that I hope I have addressed your issues, and made it clear to future guests who wish to stay with us at Grove House that we are indeed a well run 4 star bed and breakfast. This is something i have owned and taken great pride in running for over 27 years now.

Lastly, I would like to give you one piece of advice when booking your next overnight accommodation...
Read the booking terms and conditions, and be courteous to the owners of the property by complying to sensible rules and do not deliberately go out of your way to defy then and giggle whilst doing so : hardly appropriate behaviour from a 20-30 year old and most certainly not by a tour operator, someone who should most certainly be trained to know better...
Dunfermline
Reviewed August 12, 2012

we have recently returned from a two night stay. the hosts were friendly and welcoming and the place was immaculate. lovely touches like wine on arrival and sweets in the room are well thought out. the room we stayed in was lovely albeit not family sized. our daughter slept very well in the fold down chair bed although it left very little space to manover in the room. all in all a lovely b&b. perfect for two, cosy for three. the breakfasts were fantastic and can we have the smoothie recipe please ! x

• Stayed August 2012
grovehouseconnel, Owner at Grove House, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your 2 night stay with us at Grove House. I am delighted to hear that you all enjoyed our gourmet breakfast, and that our freshly prepared fruit smoothies went down well too !

All of our bedrooms have been re decorated and fitted with new bathrooms in the past year, so I was most pleased to read that you liked the style of your bedroom.

You paid reference to the fact that there was little floor space in the bedroom when the metal framed bed was put out for your daughter.
The room that you booked was in fact a double en suite with an extra bed added. Your child was given free accommodation and also no charge for her breakfast on both days.

We do have a family bedroom, and i remember offering this to you at the time of booking enquiry. This family bedroom has a lot more space, but is more expensive.

I do wish you had mentioned this to me when we were chatting over your check out. Had you done so I would have been able to explain this to you in person rather than doing it through Trip Advisor. I always feel it is much easier to explain in person rather than doing it through a third party. It is rather difficult to do so in both a friendly and informative manner !

May I say it was lovely to meet you all and to chat to you during your stay, and I do hope to be able to welcome you all back to Grove House in the not too distant future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Connel
Falls Of Lora
#7 of 13 in Oban
Ardtorna B&B
Ardtorna B&B
#1 of 3 in Barcaldine

Been to Grove House? Share your experiences!