“A dream realized” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chateau de Colombieres
Athens, Georgia
“A dream realized”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We are a three generational family of six who recently enjoyed a two night stay at the Chateau. Our 10 year old grandson and 12 year old granddaughter thought that they had been touched by a magic wand and turned into royalty. The suites of tower rooms, the moat and the meticulously kept castle grounds left them with that impression. Our host, Charles, is a polite, refined gentleman in the finest sense of the term and will do everything to make your visit enjoyable. If you are touring Normandy with children stay at the Chateau and treat the children to a pleasant memory that will last a lifetime.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank valueseeker111

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

My sister and I spent 2 nights in the watch tower in May. The weather wasn't great but the chateau and the hospitality of Charles made it a wonderful stay. We were treated like long lost friends and nothing was too much trouble.
It took a little bit of finding as there are no big signs but well worth it when you do.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karen M
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

From the moment my dh & i arrived at the Chateau we felt like treasured guests. Our room was spacious and our bed very comfortable (i slept very well during our stay). The shower is great and the towels were big (much appreciated by my 6"3 dh), our bathroom was built in the original garderobe of the 14th Century tower - so it was snug - this wasn't a problem!
Charles (our host) is charm personified - he is so helpful, engaging and very informative, our Normandie experience was enhanced by his input.
We hope to return soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Lynchburg, Va.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the castle in mid September. It was a great experience filled with history, beauty and the most gracious hosts. Anyone coming to Normandy should definitely check this property out.

Room Tip: Book the Watch Tower Room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as part of our European honeymoon and we were blown away, not only by the grandeur and history of the place, but also by the hospitality. This was by far our favorite place we stayed on the entire 3-week honeymoon. We slept in the Watchman's suite which was big enough to house an entire family! The bedroom was inside the watchtower which made the castle stay very real. The room was absolutely gorgeous and had a very comfortable bed, excellent bathroom and a good shower. The breakfast was very elegant and offered many choices!
We can't describe how welcome Monsieur Maupeou made us feel. He was very friendly and offered great recommendations on what D-day sights to see and where to eat. He even surprised us with a champagne toast in honor of our marriage!
My wife and I hope to return, maybe one day with kids, and would recommend this castle to anyone who needs a place to stay that is close to the D-day sights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My review can only reiterate all the wonderful comments of the previous reviews! I visited here with my brother and two of my teenage sons for two nights as we explored Normandy and I think it is telling that this was my brother's fourth visit to Monsieur Charles and his father! The chateaux and family are magical. My sons requested hot chocolate with breakfast and were rewarded with both a steaming pot of hot chocolate and another of milk so that they could create their own blend. You should have seen Monsieur Charles' eyes pop when I poured some of that enticing chocolate into my coffee -- mon dieu!! When you depart, your belly full of homemade preserves and croissant from breakfast, you will promise yourself that you will find a way to return.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank A K
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at the chateau only for one night but it was wonderful! My 15 year old son and 18 year old daughter and me (mom) were there in middle to later June 2013. The area is very peaceful, green, and quiet. We stayed there after a full day tour of the DDay beaches and sites.
Our breakfast was delicious. They served us the best croissants that we tried during our two weeks in France.
The hosts, Charles and his father were very interested in making sure we had a nice stay. Charles went above and beyond duty when he drove us into town so we could have dinner and then picked us up for the return to the Chateau since I chickened out about renting a car and we had no transportation. Very kind! Our weather was not great, we will have to come back perhaps a little later in the summer next time to experience this great place in the sun!! I highly recommend staying here if you can get in! Loved it!

Room Tip: we stayed in the room at the top of the staircase. Large, and nice modern bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colombieres
Chateau La Cheneviere
#1 of 1 in Colleville-sur-Mer
Villa Lara Hotel
Villa Lara Hotel
#1 of 21 in Bayeux

Been to Chateau de Colombieres? Share your experiences!